MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/24/2018 at 9:55 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Curious why the White Sox and Tigers wore their Players Weekend uniforms last night... anyone know? It's not like they don't have a game tonight and every other team that started their weekend series last night wore regular uniforms. 

The Tigers wore the normal uniforms for Trammell's number retirement ceremony Sunday.  That was the reason.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:03 AM, Gothamite said:

They do now.  But Cleveland had them first, and is consequently more associated with the look. 

I don't consider light poles to be distinctive in general. But that aside, Jacobs Field was built a few years after New Comiskey.new-comiskey-park-picture-id529349346?s=

3793981710_3abd4b3cc9_z.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Fair enough.  

Perhaps Cleveland made a bigger deal of them than the White Sox.  I don’t know.  But the fact remains that, rightly or wrongly, the “toothbrush” light poles are commonly associated with Jacobs Field.

And I dunno, if foul poles can be made distinctive and iconic, then certainly light standards can as well. ?

16 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

I don't consider light poles to be distinctive in general. But that aside, Jacobs Field was built a few years after New Comiskey.

Chicago's ballpark was the last of the "dinner plate" ballparks.
The next year, Camden Yards changed the template which inspired Jacobs Field.  When they filmed "Major League 2," they used Camden Yards because Cleveland's park was not yet completed.

2 hours ago, kimball said:

Gosh I hate new Comiskey with every passing year.

53 minutes ago, Digby said:

One of the less attractive outfield backdrops, for sure.

41 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

Chicago's ballpark was the last of the "dinner plate" ballparks.
The next year, Camden Yards changed the template which inspired Jacobs Field.  When they filmed "Major League 2," they used Camden Yards because Cleveland's park was not yet completed.

Here's a great article on New Comiskey and what could've been for the White Sox' new stadium. Talks a lot about Camden Yards too: 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-white-sox-ballpark-in-chicago-that-never-was-and-could-have-changed-history/

I wonder if the White Sox will be looking for a new stadium in the near future. With the right design and location, they can really compete with the Cubs for relevancy in Chicago in the long run.

44 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Here's a great article on New Comiskey and what could've been for the White Sox' new stadium. Talks a lot about Camden Yards too: 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-white-sox-ballpark-in-chicago-that-never-was-and-could-have-changed-history/

I wonder if the White Sox will be looking for a new stadium in the near future. With the right design and location, they can really compete with the Cubs for relevancy in Chicago in the long run.

That's a great read.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Somewhere either lakeside or in the suburbs (Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, Addison, Rosemont, etc.) where the Cubs the toyed with the idea of moving to before the Wrigley renovations. It also wouldn't surprise me if there was talk about the White Sox leaving Chicago and the area all together. But, that's a post for another thread.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

38 minutes ago, kimball said:

It also wouldn't surprise me if there was talk about the White Sox leaving Chicago and the area all together. But, that's a post for another thread.

Won’t happen.

MLB will never let one of the Chicago teams move.  Even before regular interleague play was a thing, the AL refused to let Bud Selig move them to Milwaukee in ‘69.  They learned from the NL’s blunder in abandoning New York. No way baseball un-learns that lesson now. 

1 hour ago, kimball said:

That's a great read.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Somewhere either lakeside or in the suburbs (Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, Addison, Rosemont, etc.) where the Cubs the toyed with the idea of moving to before the Wrigley renovations. It also wouldn't surprise me if there was talk about the White Sox leaving Chicago and the area all together. But, that's a post for another thread.

Yeah the only time they've ranked in the top half in avg attendance in recent years was the season after they won the WS, with a 36,511 avg. They've been on a steady decline since, and have been at the bottom of the barrel among the A's, Ray's, and Marlins for the last five years:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Winning is a factor, but the Cubs hadn't won squat in 100 years and they've always had a robust fan base. Now that the Cubs have won, and doesn't look like they'll be "lovable losers" for the foreseeable future, the White Sox need all the help they can get. With over 9 Million people in the Chicago metro area, there's plenty of people to go around. They still need to do their part to attract them.

Nobody shows up, sure, but seems like the White Sox perform well on the "merch seen outside of the home market" scale, which seems important. If they get a decent team put together ever, name Chance The Rapper as team creative director, they'll be okay.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Sox Park is incredibly underrated. Accessible, always terrific food and beer, great parking, wide concourses, outstanding video boards, excellent sight lines and it has improved aesthetically with recent modifications. Its reputation is a victim of when it was built, how it looked in 1991, and what’s eight miles to the north. 

And no, the Sox will never leave the area altogether. I’d bet my life on that. They have a great lease right now and there’s zero talk of a new stadium. No, their fan base isn’t as big as the Cubs, but it’s more than enough to sustain them when they’re decent. As somebody said earlier, MLB wouldn’t let that happen. 

(But criticism of the Sox’s decision to build the park facing southeast is legit. If it had been built facing north, it’d have the Chicago skyline as a backdrop. Huge mistake.)

5 hours ago, kimball said:

Somewhere either lakeside or in the suburbs (Arlington Heights, Schaumburg, Addison, Rosemont, etc.) where the Cubs the toyed with the idea of moving to before the Wrigley renovations.

Illinois will fall into the sea before the White Sox move to Arlington Heights.

The stadium is still under 30 years old, it's been extensively renovated in the last 15, and the state is less than cash-flush right now. They have no business asking for a new stadium until at least 2040.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Sox Park is incredibly underrated. Accessible, always terrific food and beer, great parking, wide concourses, outstanding video boards, excellent sight lines and it has improved aesthetically with recent modifications. Its reputation is a victim of when it was built, how it looked in 1991, and what’s eight miles to the north. 

And no, the Sox will never leave the area altogether. I’d bet my life on that. They have a great lease right now and there’s zero talk of a new stadium. No, their fan base isn’t as big as the Cubs, but it’s more than enough to sustain them when they’re decent. As somebody said earlier, MLB wouldn’t let that happen. 

(But criticism of the Sox’s decision to build the park facing southeast is legit. If it had been built facing north, it’d have the Chicago skyline as a backdrop. Huge mistake.)

Definitely agree. I've really enjoyed every experience I've had in and around that park. My first game there would've been in the 1999 season, and even then I thought it got a lot more flak than it deserved. I'm not a White Sox fan per se, but White Sox fans hate the Cubs...so they're alright with me. 

On 8/27/2018 at 11:25 PM, TheOldRoman said:

I don't consider light poles to be distinctive in general. But that aside, Jacobs Field was built a few years after New Comiskey.new-comiskey-park-picture-id529349346?s=

3793981710_3abd4b3cc9_z.jpg

Without even considering the changes to the areas you can't see in these pictures, it's amazing what a difference a few thousand gallons of black paint and green outfield wall padding can make in making a stadium look so much more intimate.  The improvement is significant.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived