MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

The Padres owner went on the radio yesterday (as he loves to do) and said that the team has already finished the focus groups and are moving on to uniform surveys. He also mentioned that he's heard a lot about the pinstriped 98 jerseys, which coincided with the team announcing a bunch of 98 themed giveaways for next season.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, PhysicalGraffiti said:

I'm kind of dreading/scared of the UA takeover. Baseball has been immune it seems from the multiple manufacturer changes. When those changes happen in other leagues the new manufacturer wants to make a big splash, IE Reebok EDGE in hockey and Nike's toilet bowl collars in football. I'm concerned that UA will want to come in and make a statement and make changes that aren't needed. I'm sure certain teams won't have a problem like the Yankees since other traditional team in other sports didn't do something drastic. Doesn't scare me any less.

I've also always enjoyed Majestic products. Shirts and jerseys seem to fit well and last long. When Nike took over in the NFL a lot of regular shirts became athletic fit which were uncomfortable for me not being that build. I'm hoping UA doesn't make sweeping changes like to the shirseys (t-shirt jerseys) because they fit really well now.

I don't buy as many MLB jerseys as I do with other sports, but being a person who's on this site we care about what they look like usually even if we don't wear them.

UA has its traditional collegiate teams for baseball (Auburn, South Carolina) as well as a few that test the waters with design (USF, Utah, Cincinnati), but overall it's not that bad and i think MLB will restrict some extreme measures.

7 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Padres owner went on the radio yesterday (as he loves to do) and said that the team has already finished the focus groups and are moving on to uniform surveys. He also mentioned that he's heard a lot about the pinstriped 98 jerseys, which coincided with the team announcing a bunch of 98 themed giveaways for next season.

Link to the audio (starts at 14:49):

https://www.mighty1090.com/episode/ron-fowler-on-expectations-uniforms-black-hole-at-ss-why-not-interviewing-dave-roberts-was-a-mistake/

Not really a change, but regarding uniforms.

The Phillies have a policy of only retiring HOF numbers.  They rarely hold numbers out of circulation, creating situations where numbers are worn for decades before being "retired" for a player from a generation ago (Richie Ashburn for example.)

If Halladay goes into the Hall, he was significant enough that I'm sure they'd retire #34, though 6 other players have worn it in the short time he's been retired.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

I was reading an article on Shohei Otani this morning, and I think it provided a glimpse of what the UA takeover may look like. 

WARNING! THIS MAY BE UPSETTING! 

2f1033224f6f4a9a30dd8797348c7604.jpg

Looks fine to me :huh:

This is more what we can expect...

10711818.jpeg?1422037129

14 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

10711818.jpeg?1422037129

I think pinstripes are harder to

imagine and I thought the Japan uniforms might offer a realistic preview. Either way, it looks terrible.

27 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

I think pinstripes are harder to

imagine and I thought the Japan uniforms might offer a realistic preview. Either way, it looks terrible.

Were they even made by UA? The pinstripes look weird because its a dotted line. I'm sure UA pinstripes will look just fine minus the logo eye sore, ....although I did get used to the NewEra flag on the cap to the point where I barely noticed it.

20 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

Were they even made by UA? The pinstripes look weird because its a dotted line. I'm sure UA pinstripes will look just fine minus the logo eye sore, ....although I did get used to the NewEra flag on the cap to the point where I barely noticed it.

Mizuno made the Japan uniform, and the chest mark really isn't that much of an eyesore.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Wish baseball could talk them into putting their mark on the right cuff instead.

If I recall correctly UniWatch wrote that UA doubled their offer to have their logo on the chest. Money talks unfortunately...

2 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

10711818.jpeg?1422037129

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

How boring.

I'm holding out hope for something like this:

ua.png.b1d29c64de4c0f13ca1f4bd8cb83ba7a.png

Pretty sure we might see a little bit of both of the above depending on the team in 2019.

58 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

How likely is it that UA ushers in some major uniform redesigns in their first year? 

It's likely that one, maybe two, teams do something drastically different than what they currently wear, but I don't see anything too outlandish.

It's baseball, not basketball. Uniform design really hasn't changed that much in the better part of a century. When you look at the 90s vs 2000s in any other sport, the difference is pretty noticeable, but in baseball, the most out-there thing that's ever happened has been whatever the Diamondbacks call their shoulder patterns. Other than that, yeah, we've seen some questionable color design or logos, but the overall design elements are more or less the same.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

6 minutes ago, Matito said:

It's likely that one, maybe two, teams do something drastically different than what they currently wear, but I don't see anything too outlandish. It's baseball, not basketball. Uniform design really hasn't changed that much in the better part of a century.

They've had their moments:

mlb.png.d2ca508037e2ea30cf88d330ddc67262.png

Archived