MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

They've had their moments:

mlb.png.d2ca508037e2ea30cf88d330ddc67262.png

Yes, those are brightly-colored designs, but other than the Astros' Tequila Sunrise uniform (which is now regarded as a classic), none of those design elements would look terribly out of place today.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

5 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

It's an odd logo where on a hat it looks fine, but that UA logo small looks ugly.

I really wish MLB made them put it on the sleeves.

MONEY MONEY MONEY

WE MUST HAVE MORE MONEY

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

18 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I was reading an article on Shohei Otani this morning, and I think it provided a glimpse of what the UA takeover may look like. 

WARNING! THIS MAY BE UPSETTING! 

2f1033224f6f4a9a30dd8797348c7604.jpg

I was very upset about these uniforms when they came out, but more for the way they ditched their identity.  It was flawed, especially the wordmark across the cap, but it had a lot good points and for a competition that has a lot of overlap in color schemes, it looked unique.  I wish they'd evolved instead of wholesale changing.  It's jarring for a powerhouse of a fledgling competition.

Wish they'd built off this sharp wordmark I've always loved.

Ginjiro+Sumitani+Yomiuri+Giants+v+Japan+

18 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

Looks fine to me :huh:

This is more what we can expect...

10711818.jpeg?1422037129

Man.  Those are not good models for your uniforms.  We got any images of... more the kind of person we'd see playing for Auburn?  This can really screw with your perception of how things look.  I'd often hated the Cubs' blue alt because on Zambrano and Piniella made it look like pajamas.

carlos-z-100-1.jpgLou+Piniella+Chicago+Cubs+v+Los+Angeles+

Now I've been exposed to it more on people that make it look more like a real jersey.

54c33986648973c56f63862d0ff43a66_crop_no

12 hours ago, Matito said:

Yes, those are brightly-colored designs, but other than the Astros' Tequila Sunrise uniform (which is now regarded as a classic), none of those design elements would look terribly out of place today.

You say that, but notice the away grays.  This is the NL during the Wild Card Game at an AL ballpark.  Those are all those teams standard away uniforms.  Not only are the Astros in white Tequila Sunrises, there's powder blue aways, full colors ones, and even a few colored aways over powder blue.  That's not counting the Braves' blue sleeves for their grays.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Never really undersrtood why Japan didn't go with "NIHON" or "NIPPON" on their jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I was very upset about these uniforms when they came out, but more for the way they ditched their identity.  It was flawed, especially the wordmark across the cap, but it had a lot good points and for a competition that has a lot of overlap in color schemes, it looked unique.  I wish they'd evolved instead of wholesale changing.  It's jarring for a powerhouse of a fledgling competition.

Wish they'd built off this sharp wordmark I've always loved.

Ginjiro+Sumitani+Yomiuri+Giants+v+Japan+

Man.  Those are not good models for your uniforms.  We got any images of... more the kind of person we'd see playing for Auburn?  This can really screw with your perception of how things look.  I'd often hated the Cubs' blue alt because on Zambrano and Piniella made it look like pajamas.

carlos-z-100-1.jpgLou+Piniella+Chicago+Cubs+v+Los+Angeles+

Now I've been exposed to it more on people that make it look more like a real jersey.

54c33986648973c56f63862d0ff43a66_crop_no

You say that, but notice the away grays.  This is the NL during the Wild Card Game at an AL ballpark.  Those are all those teams standard away uniforms.  Not only are the Astros in white Tequila Sunrises, there's powder blue aways, full colors ones, and even a few colored aways over powder blue.  That's not counting the Braves' blue sleeves for their grays.

I know the models are rough lol, I mainly chose that one because it was the least "college" looking uniform I could find with the UA logo

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Never really undersrtood why Japan didn't go with "NIHON" or "NIPPON" on their jerseys.

I think it's the same reasoning as Korea. The english name is more well known around the world. If they were to go the Nihon/Nippon route, they would probably want to do it in their language (日本). With Korea it would be weird to see DaeHanMinGook rather than 대한민국 

If its english it's Korea. If it's Korean, its 대한민국 for us. I'm sure it's similar with Japan. 

4 minutes ago, KOREA said:

I think it's the same reasoning as Korea. The english name is more well known around the world. If they were to go the Nihon/Nippon route, they would probably want to do it in their language (日本). With Korea it would be weird to see DaeHanMinGook rather than 대한민국 

If its english it's Korea. If it's Korean, its 대한민국 for us. I'm sure it's similar with Japan. 

I think it would be awesome to see their language on the jerseys. 

It's... a tough thing to figure out.  Do you go with the more recognizeable name and brand?  If you put Japan or Korea on a cap or jersey in the native language, are people going to have a clue what it is?  If I saw a jersey with Korean on it, I'd be more of the thought that it's a jersey for some KBL team than their WBC jersey.

Does anyone besides Spain and the DR on their caps go with their name in their language?

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, KOREA said:

I was in ROK last year and somehow never picked up on the endonym.  Just focused on recognizing the hangul, not actually how to say it.  Learn something new every day.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Yes, that's true. But other than the All-Star Game, you only ever see two uniforms together. So yeah, you might have some teams with powder blue away jerseys, some with colored uniforms, etc. But in 99% of situations, everyone will be dressed alike.

Besides, my point is that while the colors may be out there, the design elements aren't too crazy. In the NFL, NBA, and NHL, we've seen drastically different designs come from just about every era -- piping, fades, sublimation, extraneous sleeves, disappearing sleeves, laces, vertical wordmarks and NOBs, team names in stripes... Every gimmick you can think of, and they stick around. With each new uniform unveiling in those three leagues, you sort of brace yourself because you don't ever really know what you're going to get. But when an MLB team unveils a new uniform, you have a pretty good idea that it'll be one white uniform that may or may not have piping, a gray unform that may or may not have piping, and one or two alternate color jerseys to pair with white or grey pants.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

9 hours ago, KOREA said:

If it was in 한글, I would probably expect it to just be 한국, like the USA just puts USA and not United States of American. I still think it'd be cool though. 

4 hours ago, tubby34 said:

2018 BP caps are similar to Nike dri fit hat material- no more diamond era. Also, chromaflex logos and batterman. 

Think NFL chrome color rush logos- but Dulled down, similar to 2017 ASG patches side patches. 

Any brand new or unique logos?

8 hours ago, tubby34 said:

2018 BP caps are similar to Nike dri fit hat material- no more diamond era. Also, chromaflex logos and batterman. 

Think NFL chrome color rush logos- but Dulled down, similar to 2017 ASG patches side patches. 

The actual logos? ugh... its finally happened. 

On 11/10/2017 at 4:49 PM, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

If it was in 한글, I would probably expect it to just be 한국, like the USA just puts USA and not United States of American. I still think it'd be cool though. 

Any kind of sporting competition we go by 대한민국 ever since 2002 World Cup or so. If I recall correctly even 1998 WC we used 한국 more.

On 11/11/2017 at 2:41 AM, tubby34 said:

Majestic has been consistently good throughout their run but they've been making some pretty bad decisions as of late. 

XM4KeeA.png

Archived