MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

I like the Phillies one, but I just wish the blue in the liberty bell and the bill of the cap matched.

I actually hate the Phillies one. I hate how royal and red look against each other - I’d never wear that cap. It’s just dorky. Also the Liberty bell is a very weak logo, considering it’s just a literal interpretation of it with nothing that makes it uniquely a Phillies logo. 

I would have loved a 50s or 40s inspired hat, or even go way back and put an old English p on there. 

I get that those conflict with their brand, but that’s their problem, not mine. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm going to go against what everyone else said about the Rox hat. I LOVE it! I really should hate that all of my teams are using the CO flag so much but I will keep eating it up as long as they keep dishing it out. As a fifth generation Coloradan who has now lived outside of the state for a year I will probably never get tired of seeing that beautiful flag on merchandise. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

21 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

It is very weird to me that the Twins, Cubs, Marlins, Brewers, and Nats are using their home hat models. 

I won't be buying the Orioles hat, but I am so jealous of it. I was really hoping for a Cardinals "slugger bird" hat. 

Marlins is not the same as their home. The coloration is different and the squatchee is orange, which is at least interesting. The recoloring is fine but seems very whatever, nothing ground breaking. With that said, if any team can get away with recoloring their logo every now and then it's the Marlins as their logo has so many "parts" and of course they wanted a "colorful Miami art deco" theme to their logo so recoloring it seems like the "right" thing to do. 

Of note, even though the cap itself is almost entirely black, this is the first time the Marlins have ever used a logo that has zero black in the logo itself. Maybe they were once again taking a step away from black and towards being more colorful. With that said, it may be a moot point because the timing of this cap's release means it was designed by previous ownership so there's no clue where the new ownership is heading as far as the logo and colors. 

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Marlins is not the same as their home. The coloration is different and the squatchee is orange. 

Speaking of the new Marlins cap, not sure if its the lighting of the photo or bad Photoshop but the yellow looks like a light/pale orange. Also the top of the Marlin is that new color. I think it would've looked better if they swapped the orange colors on the Marlin part (darker on top.)

1 minute ago, KGeeX5 said:

Speaking of the new Marlins cap, not sure if its the lighting of the photo or bad Photoshop but the yellow looks like a light/pale orange. Also the top of the Marlin is that new color. I think it would've looked better if they swapped the orange colors on the Marlin part (darker on top.)

The "zoom in" closer pics on mlb shop makes it look like the lighter orange that they introduced in the 2016-17 ST/BP caps, seen below. So that means it the light orange, their usual red orange, their light/"ocean" blue, and white. Their usual yellow, black, and silver are removed from this logo, which I believe it a plus and a step forward for them. 

1167_miami_marlins-batting_practice-2016.png

12 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The "zoom in" closer pics on mlb shop makes it look like the lighter orange that they introduced in the 2016-17 ST/BP caps, seen below. So that means it the light orange, their usual red orange, their light/"ocean" blue, and white. Their usual yellow, black, and silver are removed from this logo, which I believe it a plus and a step forward for them. 

1167_miami_marlins-batting_practice-2016.png

Riiiight, right, I forgot about this logo. I was never too keen on it. The new one is much better, I just think it would look better with a red orange Marlin. The Marlins have looked so much better since their marketing started de-emphasizing black. Simple is better. 

On 11/20/2017 at 6:38 PM, coco1997 said:

Sick, like in sick to my stomach.

That looks like something you made in your kitchen,  you just glued a random patch you had laying around onto an old cap.

Done! Now you have a great Christmas gift for that relative you only see once a year (and hate vigorously) 

5 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

They at least could have done it in Rockies colors...

DzXm4Hr.png

Having the insignia in the state flag's colours could be a means of selling those hats to people who care only a little about baseball and more about signalling their love of Colorado.  This is the same motivation that leaves us with a Blue Jays hat that entirely lacks the team's logo but features the Canadian maple leaf.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

9 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Having the insignia in the state flag's colours could be a means of selling those hats to people who care only a little about baseball and more about signalling their love of Colorado.  This is the same motivation that leaves us with a Blue Jays hat that entirely lacks the team's logo but features the Canadian maple leaf.

For a special one-off hat I get that, but for it to be the BP hat all season is incredibly dumb.  The Rockies are gonna take the field wearing blue, red and yellow hats that don't match anything else in the uniform.

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:
12 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

For a special one-off hat I get that, but for it to be the BP hat all season is incredibly dumb.  The Rockies are gonna take the field wearing blue, red and yellow hats that don't match anything else in the uniform.

I definitely agree that this is not a good choice for the team.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

"Take the field" Really?

13 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Reds have used black as an accent color for a long time so it doesn't bother me that they use black especially in their merchandise and fan apparel. Should there be less of it in their uniforms? Most likely that's a yes. (I only say "most likely" because at least they've scaled back from all the black they used in the early 2000's)

So with that said, I'm not so sure the Reds are necessarily BFBS. 

The Reds featured black back in the day as a third color that was on their logo, but right after the Marlins went black caps full time, the Mets introduced their black set, and Tampa and Arizona were introduced with black (a lot in Tampa's case and a little which would grow in Arizona's case), Cincinnati went black cap and sleeves at home, and then the next year went to their famous black-spattered road uniforms.  The year before this change, they'd finished sub-.500 in the middle of the NL Central with a token All-Star pick for Bret Boone.  They were likely just doing what everyone else did, trying to drum up interest with a change.

13 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

MLB, New Era, Majestic, and Under Armour are all gonna love this... "So even when people don't like our new stuff they give us their money by buying more of the old stuff? This is BRILLIANT!!! Kudos to all of you! Excellent marketing! LIFETIME MERCHANDISING CONTRACT EXTENSIONS FOR EVERYONE!!! MWAHAHAHAHA... MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEEEEEEEEYYY EVERYBODY'S GOT A PRICE! EVERYONE'S GONNA PAY!!!!"

I don't know which clip to go with.

12 hours ago, Lights Out said:

That Reds cap logo would be perfect in an alternate universe where the Wishbone C, the Tigers and the White Sox don't exist. It's not awful, just off-brand for the team.

That's the second time I've heard someone bring up the White Sox.  Why?  That C is the C used by the original Cincinnati Reds (or at least one of the first).  I've never seen anything showing the White Sox wear anything like it.  If anything, the old White Sox stuff looks like the Indians' C's.

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

It’s BP though. BP should be where you experiment with your look a bit. Not being game-worn gear means it can be a place to try out new looks and ideas without sacrificing the on-field identity. 

Of course BP caps and jerseys are practically alternates these days anyway. 

That’s more a problem with sports aesthetic branding in general though. Ideally BP stuff would be both relegated to actual batting practice and be a place for teams to try out new ideas.

On 11/20/2017 at 11:57 AM, dbofox said:

Brewers stepping back from the 'B-I-G'?  Move away for a year before full rebrand?

Definitely seems weird there isn't one shown, especially since alternates for the other teams are shown...unless there are a few more that haven't been unveiled yet.

Also...here is a link to the 3930 version of the BP caps at DSG.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f/mlb-new-era-3930-bp-hat?camp=SNS%3AFacebook%3A20171116%3ANewEraBP%3APaid%3ALicensed

On 11/20/2017 at 6:42 PM, PhysicalGraffiti said:

Maybe sacrilegious as a Yankees fan, but I wish they'd step outside of the box for a rare occasion like the spring training cap. I realize options are limited and there isn't much they are going to do, and nothing can replace the interlocking NY, but using the ball logo with Yankees script would be really cool to see for the spring training hats.

I liked the pinstripe-bill hats from last year. Maybe they could try something like that again.

ExJworW.png

Archived