MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

They're going to be essentially a black and silver team at home this year.

Other than those thin slivers of purple in their cap (and pinstripes that look black from 5 feet away) that's what they've been since 1993. This team's uniform decision making continues to baffle me. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Is there a machismo unique to baseball where purple is a color for gay homo gays and thus unacceptable while no player gives a second thought to the Vikings or Lakers?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

So why have they been so allergic to purple as a primary color? Why have their home jerseys basically been the same as the White Sox?

Wish I had a good answer for you. Black hats probably sell better.  But I do wish the numbers were purple (instead of black) outlined in silver..

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

So why have they been so allergic to purple as a primary color? Why have their home jerseys basically been the same as the White Sox?

I suspect it has to do with the trends at the time the Rockies debuted in 1993.  As I recall, the black White Sox hats and jerseys (as well as other teams with black as a primary color) were all the rage...

On 11/27/2017 at 1:31 PM, the admiral said:

...why are 8-year-olds wearing Under Armour?

As a fashion statement, much like kids have worn shirts with Converse, Nike, etc. on them for decades.  I have two tweens and UA is the only brand they ask for in their tee shirts and hoodies.  Don't get me wrong, we don't buy UA all the time because it's too expensive for something they'll outgrow in a few months, but we let them have something two or three times a year, on special occasions.

Is this silver Rockies cap gonna be worn all season every day or is it like an alternate that will only be worn occasionally? I think I deal with it as an alternate but would hate to lose the purple in the cap all season long. It would just look like they "forgot to color in the logo" all season long. Like a manufacturing error or something kinda like when the Nationals accidentally made that NATINALS jersey that one time. 

Edit: MLB Shop has it listed as an alternate. Let's see how it actually get used. 

7 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

They just need to fix the very thin wordmark, otherwise its beautiful. 

Fix the sleeveless part too.  Just make it a black jersey.  

The Rockies' alternate black jersey in 1993 was a thousand times better than what they wear now.

Neither are good. I think it's the major contrast of the sleeves that bother me. The black sleeves make it less awful.

I recall the Pirates doing this and I hated it so much. Colored vests just don't do it for me and I think it is mainly because of the pants not matching. In the 70s it worked because of monochrome look but here it's just too much contrast.

458314433_d02bb49fac_o.0.jpg

Go A's!

41 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

Colored sleeveless/vests are not that great looking. I prefer them either to be white or gray. 

If they insist on a vest, please bring this back with more purple. (I think vests should make a comeback for some teams as well)

20110217__ROCKIES_PADRES_JL34p1.jpg

Of all the teams, I think the Rockies are best positioned to bring back vests. We even got a sneak preview of it during Players Weekend:

usp_mlb__colorado_rockies_at_atlanta_bra

19 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Of all the teams, I think the Rockies are best positioned to bring back vests. We even got a sneak preview of it during Players Weekend:

usp_mlb__colorado_rockies_at_atlanta_bra

This shade was still lighter than the newer 2017 shade, right?  This shade looks pretty bad.

Archived