MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Didn't we get word that next season more teams would be adopting the charcoal gray road uniforms that the D-Backs wear?

I hope not. That look screams traveling team adult softball to me. It's hard to read too on teams with black.

Not uni related, but today the Rockies confirmed they’re (finally) getting a new scoreboard at Coors Field. The team says it will be twice as large as the current, and the top will be shaped like the mountain logo. Sounds pretty sweet to me. 

Heres the full release:

76B849FA-A632-48F0-8F30-A568EFABBDFE.thumb.jpeg.0e3fe8df51a6be864e64415c2b7b9296.jpeg

spacer.png

7 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That's where the challenge lies. Eliminating Wahoo, as necessary as it may be, creates a really difficult branding challenge for the team with that name. 

Is it really necessary to eliminate wahoo? I see wahoo as one of the best logos in the league. Im okay with them minimizing it but to completely get rid of it would be a mistake. Also no new logo will ever ever compete with it if its changed.

The best thing that could happen would to make a more realistic interpretation of wahoo, something like the Redskins but more colorful and joyful. 

15 hours ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Is it really necessary to eliminate wahoo? I see wahoo as one of the best logos in the league. Im okay with them minimizing it but to completely get rid of it would be a mistake. Also no new logo will ever ever compete with it if its changed.

The best thing that could happen would to make a more realistic interpretation of wahoo, something like the Redskins but more colorful and joyful. 

Well, this is really the point of contention, right?

These feel kind of like existential questions at this point: Is the Indians' great offense only Wahoo and not its whole identity? Is the Redskins great offense only its name and not its logo? 

Taking that view would seem to many as only a half-step toward solving the issues around their identities. 

My guess is that any Indian logo depicting a human would become a bigger problem for the Indians than one using non-human Native American imagery. The Braves' spear tomahawk (my bad — thanks, Admiral) comes to mind. 

I personally don't think there's any way around getting rid of Wahoo, though. 

10 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Oh no I don't want the A's in kelly green again. That look was nice but I think the forest green has completely overshadowed it as being the better A's look. 

I think it's an unpopular opinion, but I agree  I tend to want to see more vivid colors, but I think the yellow gets that done for the A's so I'm not too jazzed about brightening the green.  I think their color scheme looks really good right now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

The Braves' spear comes to mind. 

Tomahawk.

I've been a defender of Chief Wahoo because I see it, warts and all, as a truly classic baseball logo. But now that we live in Hellworld, I'm cautious of the wrong kind of people embracing Chief Wahoo as "free speech" and not a stupid corny baseball logo, and if it has to go away now, so be it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Didn't we get word that next season more teams would be adopting the charcoal gray road uniforms that the D-Backs wear?

Looking back that sounded like the DBacks misleading everyone so that people would think the dark gray uniforms were catching on. Turns out that was really just an experiment for the World Baseball Classic road uniforms, which, mostly were ineffective as was expected. Very few of those gray jerseys looked better on dark gray than they would have with the lighter gray. 

22 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

While it's easy to pick the Padres as the team we'd think will change stuff in 2018, I'm pretty positive when they announced the 2017 changes after the 2016 changes they made it sound like the Padres look would be more consistent from here on out. Many quotes made it sound like this is the look that they want the Padres to be for the foreseeable future. So despite their history of changing too much I feel like they're gonna stay the course for a while now. 

They've since said that they're going to re-evaluate the jerseys and they admitted that this current set was created without actually doing any research. 

3 minutes ago, Jungle Jim said:

I'm excited about the prospects of the A's returning to kelly green.  It's long overdue.  

When we consider this potential move alongside the Blue Jays' and Astros' recent returns to their bright original colours, we might be seeing a welcome trend towards brighter colours and away from drab ones for teams that have those colours in their history.  The Mariners' introduction of an alt with their original bright colours would also be an expression of this trend, even if their current colours are not drab, unlike the A's current green and the colours that the Jays and Astros left behind. What's more, it would be nice if such a trend were to push the Brewers into making their brightly-coloured classic alts the full-time uniform.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

12 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I think it's an unpopular opinion, but I agree  I tend to want to see more vivid colors, but I think the yellow gets that done for the A's so I'm not too jazzed about brightening the green.  I think their color scheme looks really good right now.

Agreed. Switching back to kelly green and keeping the bright yellow they have now would run into the same problems that the Rays road fauxback/Players' Weekend stuff has: By themselves, both colors are great, and paired with a darker color, they pop perfectly, but paired together, they'll both be way too bright.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

5 minutes ago, Matito said:
13 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Agreed. Switching back to kelly green and keeping the bright yellow they have now would run into the same problems that the Rays road fauxback/Players' Weekend stuff has: By themselves, both colors are great, and paired with a darker color, they pop perfectly, but paired together, they'll both be way too bright.

Kelly green and bright yellow are gorgeous together, as the A's have demonstrated in recent years with various throwback uniforms.

Related image   Related image

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Just now, Matito said:

Except they're not too bright, and they look lovely together.

blog013.jpg 12871_01_lg.jpg43_16417_lg.jpeg

I've never understood the complaint that kelly/yellow is "too bright." The shade the A's have used for throwbacks is fantastic and contrasts well with the yellow (even on gray backgrounds). The dark green looks good and all, but the kelly is even better.

Of course, I'm a little torn. I love the way the dark green and athletic gold (PMS 1235 C, to be clear) contrast with each other. Besides, they've worn dark green for a bit over 35 years. That's a lot of brand equity behind that color scheme.

This is the one case where a Brewers-like situation would be good. Have the kelly green or dark green be a full-time alternate. It would be even better than the Brewers' current identity confusion, given the continuity of the Old English A.

On 9/20/2017 at 2:01 PM, gosioux76 said:

I get why the Brewers may come up in this example. But the ball-in-glove had some Bernie Brewer companion mark somewhere in the club's periphery, whether it was on the uniforms or not. There was still SOMETHING there representing the club's name, even if it wasn't the primary mark.

No, they didn't. 

The Barrelman was retired after '77.  From 1978 through 1993, the Brewers only had theee logos. 

Primary:

IMG_6786.PNG.d4dc1e5e308a313dc218a46c9932a9a7.PNG

Secomdary/cap logo:

IMG_6787.thumb.PNG.6cdcecaf83ffcfa5efc0efe9eb37503f.PNG

and this one, which was only ever used on their jacket sleeves. 

IMG_6788.thumb.JPG.c0fdc28d27b01afbb2602ac6a95362fb.JPG

that last one was tweaked for 1991-93. 

IMG_6789.thumb.JPG.fe88a41a973c0029da5840f360399fdf.JPG

The Barrelman was entirely absent for thirty years before first making a re-appearance on a couple SGA caps and then disappearing again. It wasn't until a few years ago that he was brought back as a costumed character for the stadium and a Cooperstown Collection logo for merchandise. 

Archived