MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not big on road scripts at home, but for Oakland it's probably a good idea for a year or two. But I love that the kelly green is back! MAKE IT FULL-TIME

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Not big on road scripts at home, but for Oakland it's probably a good idea for a year or two. But I love that the kelly green is back! MAKE IT FULL-TIME

A's says Oakland just because their 50th anv in Oakland..

Regular patches, not chrome/plastic style...

DUgGTDRVwAADG1u.jpg

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Now that's a beautiful top! It's good to see the Oakland script, the all-Kelly cap, and the striping on it. I like that it's got the 1970s color balance as well:

item_83636_2.jpg

I'm glad that the A's have seen the light with Kelly Green and are willing to entertain its usage. I'm not sure it should be full time (they've had the same basic home/road template since 1987, with the current scripts starting in 1993), but I'd love it if it were!

My only complaint is that it doesn't have the elephant on the sleeve. Then again, if it weren't for Connie Mack turning the team into his family's only asset during the 1930s, running the team into the ground as he developed dementia, and creating family squabbles, the team would probably still be in Philadelphia. The elephant may be too "Philadelphia" for the jersey.

7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

My only complaint is that it doesn't have the elephant on the sleeve. Then again, if it weren't for Connie Mack turning the team into his family's only asset during the 1930s, running the team into the ground as he developed dementia, and creating family squabbles, the team would probably still be in Philadelphia. The elephant may be too "Philadelphia" for the jersey.

Does anybody associate the elephant specifically with Philadelphia?  They’ve worn it for decades in Oakland. 

1371448492000-BBW-CANSECO-McGWIRE-130617

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Does anybody associate the elephant specifically with Philadelphia?  They’ve worn it for decades in Oakland. 

Oh yeah, but it started because of John McGraw’s “white elephant” comment to Connie Mack. It’s a Philadelphia symbol, but it’s been reassurected in Oakland (uniforms and mascot, Stomper). I get why they would leave it off, since the Jersey is a tribute to the Charlie O days, when the team didn’t have the elephant symbol. 

20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That’s certainly possible.  

I would disagree that it’s a “Philadelphia symbol”.  It’s an Athletics symbol, used for decades in Philadelphia, Kansas City, and Oakland. 

kca-blue.jpg

They used it everywhere; they just didn’t use it with kelly green. 

Yeah, it is a franchise symbol, one that the team kind of misuses by having it be green. John McGraw didn’t call the A’s a green elephant.

The “Philadelphia symbol” was my way of explaining why the elephant isn’t on a jersey celebrating the early Oakland years.

There was the discussion earlier in this thread about the Dodgers patch and people not recognizing L.A. City Hall.

I, for one, easily recognized L.A. City Hall, but I have no idea of what that building is supposed to be on the A's 50th anniversary logo. And also what the shape between 1968 and 2018 is supposed to be.

Also, wasn't there a different 50th anniversary logo at one point?

IbjBaeE.png

7 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

There was the discussion earlier in this thread about the Dodgers patch and people not recognizing L.A. City Hall.

I, for one, easily recognized L.A. City Hall, but I have no idea of what that building is supposed to be on the A's 50th anniversary logo. And also what the shape between 1968 and 2018 is supposed to be.

Also, wasn't there a different 50th anniversary logo at one point?

It's the old Oakland Tribune building...

ocvbphoto07-oakland-night-6393518-o.jpg

It's an Oak tree between the years, symbol for Oakland

oakland.jpg

Yes, this is the other anniversary logo they are using..

Oakland A's 50th anniversary log

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

On 1/25/2018 at 11:30 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Famous is relative. He was a closer on a team in a non-large market that never won anything on a national stage. I admit I don’t follow as much as most, but I imagine the connection won’t be instantly recognized for most people. 

Of course, since things like this are designed mostly for the fans of the player’s team, as long as SD fans get it then that’s what’s important. 

Brewer fan here. Got it immediately following his 2 years here.

It's where I sit.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:49 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Except that giant bells are more associated with Philadelphia than anywhere else.  It's clearly not the liberty bell, due to lack of crack, but the reference (I guess hells bells?) is pretty obscure.

He got overshadowed by Rivera, but he's the second best closer of all time with... possibly the only other famous entry theme.  The only other ones I can think of are Looper ("Enter Sandman", which caused a year-long controversy in New York), the ones who came after Mariano and attempted to find their own groove (David Robertson successfully filled his shoes, getting the crowd going with "Sweet Home Alabama" but jumped ship at the end of the year), and originator as far as I know of the whole thing: The Wild Thing.

That being said, the bell also has a tie to the Padre's theme as a team and hometown.

th?id=OIP.Z2tECgKuNPfoIhZQFNMw6QHaJ4&pid

On 1/25/2018 at 3:05 PM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Looks to me like this is one of the many times that graphics cannot express metallic tone.  I'm expecting bright metallic gold rather than all that dreariness.  Their design in 1999 was one of the least imaginative TATC designs.  That being said, I actually think the original 1998 version really had potential for revisiting TATC, but they got a baaaaad rep back then, apparently.  As for this being a backdoor concept, there's no way we're seeing vests with thick colored bands.  The closest we're getting are the piping in Colorado and perhaps sometime in the future in Pittsburgh.

16 hours ago, The Golden One said:

That... is... a thing of beauty.  I've always been a bit standoffish about Kelly, but to me this strikes the perfect balance.  Kelly looks great with white and gold relegated to third.  Somehow, it's even the exception to the rule of not putting light on light.

14 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

The cap without gold anywhere on it is a bummer

That is weird, but I suppose that's what they wore when they came in 1968.

EDIT: Do we know if this is replacing the current green alt or if they're going to carry three alts?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived