MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Do tell? How long have the Reds been doing these races? Do they trace back to the early 90s? Heck, it might have been before that...

I mistyped... I meant they copied Milwaukee.

I shoulda probably proofread my post more thoroughly. :wink2:

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long time lurker first time poster.

cut.jpg

Cubs promo schedule has this listed as a SGA on 7/24. Over the last couple years or so they have worn the respective throwback jersey on the promo day. Have not see anything else confirming but figured I would put it out there.

14 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And, regarding mascots: it's Mr. Met or go the f home.

I was gonna say that I can see that for baseball-headed mascots, but overall?  But looking over the MLB mascot group... it gets pretty dire.  Wow.  Yeah, in terms of singular mascots, it's pretty much Mr. Met, the Phanatic, Redlegs, and the Swinging Friar in the upper exchelon.  Then you've got a lot of furry nonsense (Raymond, Slider, Southpaw), a lot of attempts to be cool/modern/hip (Clark, Lou Seal), and basic birds and animals, some of which I dig but have trouble defending as being anything other than bland (Ace, Rangers Captain, Mariner Moose).

Also, I found out some things when looking at the league's mascots.  Why is Mrs. Met's name Jan?   And when did Barrelman get off the page?!

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I agree with you . . . and yet this violates a general preference that I believe most of us have around here -- any initials used on a cap or jersey should be the city initials, not the nickname initials.

They and the White Sox are just the rare, rare exception.  We all got things we gotta give up as breaking our established rules.

3 hours ago, Teal said:

I wonder if the Indians will be getting a complete re-brand come 2019?

Is there... perhaps... a specific color you'd like to see them introduce to their pallet?

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

and basic birds and animals, some of which I dig but have trouble defending as being anything other than bland (Ace, Rangers Captain, Mariner Moose).

While I may be a bit partial having grown up with him, I find Fredbird to be one of the best mascots.  I do think it's more for the kids, but part of me still loves it as it reminds me of my childhood.  And ultimately, that's part of the greatness of baseball, being able to still bring out the kid in us that just loves the game.

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

6 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

They and the White Sox are just the rare, rare exception.  We all got things we gotta give up as breaking our established rules.

The White Sox use half of their nickname, not an initial or monogram.

26 minutes ago, CardsFan79 said:

While I may be a bit partial having grown up with him, I find Fredbird to be one of the best mascots.  I do think it's more for the kids, but part of me still loves it as it reminds me of my childhood.  And ultimately, that's part of the greatness of baseball, being able to still bring out the kid in us that just loves the game.

Along the same lines, I like the Oriole Bird . . . who, for some reason, has never had a name other than "The Oriole Bird".

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

12 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Along the same lines, I like the Oriole Bird . . . who, for some reason, has never had a name other than "The Oriole Bird".

Kinda surprised "Cal" (nod to Ripken and Lord Baltimore) hasn't been used...smart money says it was proposed, but the reaction was "well...nah".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Kinda surprised "Cal" (nod to Ripken and Lord Baltimore) hasn't been used...smart money says it was proposed, but the reaction was "well...nah".

I like that idea.

Honestly, I don't remember there every being any discussion about giving him a name . . . at least not public discussion.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 hours ago, CardsFan79 said:

5 hours ago, leopard88 said:

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I'll defend Billy The Marlin all day for being better than you'd expect in appearance, in name, and in antics. His rebranded color scheme is a downgrade from his original color scheme but he's still pretty solid. 

Yeah.  I struggled exactly what to say because when I look at Fredbird, Oriole Bird, Billy the Marlin, Ranger Captain (What the crap is with that name?  Much weirder than Oriole Bird), Ace, Mariner Moose, Paws, Screech, Stomper and TC Bear, I really like a lot of them, but if someone came back at me asking "How could you put this on the same level as the Phanatic?!" I don't know what I'd say to defend myself.  I really like Slugerrr's design too, and didn't include him in the list of "just an animal" with these other ones.  I'm also kinda in a weird spot having never had a mascot in the sports I follow most closely, at least not that I've really seen work besides being in the background waving.  I've only seen Mr. Met and Billy the Marlin live.  So I'm unfamiliar with how well these other mascots performed so in terms of a mascot being a mascot, I don't know who's good and who's bad.  I'm just going on design and bits and pieces I see here and there.  Could be an amazing and imaginitive-looking mascot but do absolutely nothing.

That being said, what's with Fredbird and Oriole Bird's derpy beaks?

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm still thoroughly dumbfounded that the mascot of the Utah Jazz, a bear, is named "Bear." You're the people who invented wearing magic underwear to posthumously convert Jews and ascend to godhood and you can't come up with a more creative name for a jazz-loving bear than "Bear"?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Jazzly Bear, 12-Bear Blues, Count Bearsie, Beary Sloan, Miles Dav-urs, A Night in Bruinisia, these are taglines you spit out while you're waiting for your lunch to come out of the microwave

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I'm still thoroughly dumbfounded that the mascot of the Utah Jazz, a bear, is named "Bear." You're the people who invented wearing magic underwear to posthumously convert Jews and ascend to godhood and you can't come up with a more creative name for a jazz-loving bear than "Bear"?

I think it's a fine name. 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Jazzly Bear, 12-Bear Blues, Count Bearsie, Beary Sloan, Miles Dav-urs, A Night in Bruinisia, these are taglines you spit out while you're waiting for your lunch to come out of the microwave

Furry Armstrong, Ute Ellington, Bearam Young, Bringham Bear, Ursy Gillepsie...

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

The religious dig wasn’t necessary, but I will admit there’s much better names they could’ve gone with. Still though, Bear is really pretty awesome so he makes up for the lack of good name.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 1/29/2018 at 3:32 PM, LWLLWWW said:

Long time lurker first time poster.

cut.jpg

Cubs promo schedule has this listed as a SGA on 7/24. Over the last couple years or so they have worn the respective throwback jersey on the promo day. Have not see anything else confirming but figured I would put it out there.

This is one of those uniforms that are so ugly that I actually kind of like it. It’s the Kramer Portrait of baseball uniforms.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm sure every last Mormon is looking to insensitively convert Jews posthumously. :rolleyes: That's a broad brush that you paint with, sir.

But back to mascots and the topic at hand. I agree with @FinsUp1214..."Jazz Bear" (as most people call him lol) isn't the most creative name, but he makes up for his lackadaisical name with his antics IMO. "Suns Gorilla" or "Oriole Bird" aren't exactly what I would call creative mascot names, either.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived