MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

18 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

I'm sure every last Mormon is looking to insensitively convert Jews posthumously. :rolleyes: That's a broad brush that you paint with, sir.

But back to mascots and the topic at hand. I agree with @FinsUp1214..."Jazz Bear" (as most people call him lol) isn't the most creative name, but he makes up for his lackadaisical name with his antics IMO. "Suns Gorilla" or "Oriole Bird" aren't exactly what I would call creative mascot names, either.

To be fair, this is a message board.. When you paint boards, you use a broad brush.. If it were a message canvas, however...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

That being said, what's with Fredbird and Oriole Bird's derpy beaks?

???

Elaborate, please.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

26 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

???

Elaborate, please.

I'm pretty sure he means that Oriole Bird and Fred Bird both have bent, unsturdy, mushy looking beaks. And yes they're made of soft foam-like material but, by comparison, the Blue Jays Ace has a beak that looks more, um, sturdy? firm? The wording is tricky but maybe pics help...

Related image

Related image

Related image

Got it.

I can't speak for Fredbird, but the Oriole Bird uses the flexibility of his beak as part of his schtick (ex., pretending to eat opposing team hats, giving full face/head kisses).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

14 hours ago, WavePunter said:

To be fair, this is a massage board.. When you paint boards, you use a broad brush.. If it were a message canvas, however...

MASSAGE Board? I need to log in with my other account.
Gotta keep my Sportslogos.net account and Backpage accounts separate.

BRB.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

On 1/30/2018 at 1:25 PM, the admiral said:

Jazzly Bear, 12-Bear Blues, Count Bearsie, Beary Sloan, Miles Dav-urs, A Night in Bruinisia, these are taglines you spit out while you're waiting for your lunch to come out of the microwave

+1 Beary Sloan

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Rockies/Coors Field getting a new scoreboard this season. 

Here’s a FIRST LOOK at the new scoreboard!

8,369 sq ft | 258% larger than the old Coors Field board | 784 60-inch televisions | 6.8 million LEDs | HD1080P | Uniquely Colorado Rockies shape | Speaker enhancements on the lower bowl

27072821_10155937232156113_9093310602066

27459031_10155937239866113_5695330605193

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

I like it.

But boy. are the Rockies all over the place with their wordmarks.

They have the radially arched version on their jerseys:

the-rockies-and-blue-jays-made-a-trade-t

A vertically arched version on their magazine masthead:

CVUbtNgUkAQCe7m.jpg

And this half-arced version on top of the scoreboard.

4654577048_104c22e58f_b.jpg

Think they should pick one and stick with it.  And frankly, either of the two secondary versions would be better than the one on their jerseys.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I like it.

But boy. are the Rockies all over the place with their wordmarks.

They have the radially arched version on their jerseys:

the-rockies-and-blue-jays-made-a-trade-t

A vertically arched version on their magazine masthead:

CVUbtNgUkAQCe7m.jpg

And this half-arced version on top of the scoreboard.

4654577048_104c22e58f_b.jpg

Think they should pick one and stick with it.  And frankly, either of the two secondary versions would be better than the one on their jerseys.

These are the only places you see these wordmarks, though. On merchandise, it's the jersey wordmark. The scoreboard mark was only bridged because of the mountain logo on top. The magazine mark is probably vertical to align with the edges of the magazine.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

But they don’t need either of those.  Their jersey wordmark could fit quite nicely on the top of the scoreboard.  If they’re really concerned about the magazine cover, they could use the straight version from their primary logo:

ej4v6a8q5w5gegtf7ilqbhoz7.png

Now it’s certainly not unheard of for clubs with arched wordmarks to have a straight version for the applications where that might fit better.   The Brewers, for example, always had one of each:

1cfje1wue7b79flmyh42aek9k.png 

cslmvqwoqvpg8bdyi4qb4flou.gif

But four?  Four is indeed unusual.  There is literally no reason for the Rockies to have four different versions of that wordmark.  Except that they want to.  Which I find a little bizarre. 

On 1/31/2018 at 8:03 AM, leopard88 said:

Got it.

I can't speak for Fredbird, but the Oriole Bird uses the flexibility of his beak as part of his schtick (ex., pretending to eat opposing team hats, giving full face/head kisses).

Same goes for Fredbird because he’s a mascot and not a real bird. ?

29 minutes ago, Royals Insider said:

I heard today that the UA uniforms will debut in the 2018 postseason.

Thatd kinda match what they did with the new era add on the side of the cap a few years ago, so can’t say this isn’t possible. 

Could lead to an interesting situation where a team is rebranding and wears their current set but with the UA logo for only 3 games. That jersey would be ridiculously rare. 

Kinda like how the ‘92 phillies wore the only version of the maroon caps with the batter man on the back - but just for the preseason. Good luck finding one of those. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived