MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

27 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You're proposing changing the uniforms mid-season.  I don't go for that.

Though one of my favourite teams did just that, when the 1972 A's added front numbers after the All-Star break.

Tend to agree, but adding or removing a one-season patch doesn't seem to be on the same level as adding a front number.

The benefit of leaving everything the same is when you're searching for pictures, you can be 100% sure on the year.  For this board, when I search, say, "1992 Padres", seeing that All Star patch (worn for all months) is a sure sign that yes, it is a 1992 game.

Speaking of which...check out this jacket. ChalkLines were great for the early 90s.  Note the Marlins logo, one season before the Marlins had played a game.

dscn9843z-guy-attending-2016-padres-fanf

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Though one of my favourite teams did just that, when the 1972 A's added front numbers after the All-Star break.

Image result for 1973 topps oakland   Image result for 1973 topps oakland

The Pirates did the same thing when they moved into Three Rivers.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

35 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:
2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Image result for 1973 topps oakland   Image result for 1973 topps oakland

The Pirates did the same thing when they moved into Three Rivers.

Ah, yes.  The Pirates made a change much more severe than the A's did; they completely changed uniforms mid-season 1970 from button-down vests and belted pants to pullovers and beltless pants.

Here's Roberto Clemente in the new uniform standing next to a mannequin of him in the old uniform.

Image result for clemente new uniform old uniform

Even despite this exceptional situation, I still don't think I like a team altering its uniform mid-season by removing a patch.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yeah, but it's not a stylistic alteration to the year-to-year design of the uniform. It's just taking a time-sensitive addition off. Keeping the All-Star Game patch on after the game is like leaving your Christmas tree up in April.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Bmac said:

I was shocked to learn a few years ago that baseball teams used to move into a new stadium part way through a season. Something like that would never happen today. The fact that it happened at Safeco Field is insane, given how recent that was.

More recent (fall 2003) was the Phoenix Coyotes playing their first month and a half or so at America West before the arena in Glendale was ready. But that's the last one I can think of. Anyone else has been ready to go to start the year or had an extended road trip while the arena got finished (Devils in 2007 was the most recent case of that, I think).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

More recent (fall 2003) was the Phoenix Coyotes playing their first month and a half or so at America West before the arena in Glendale was ready. But that's the last one I can think of. Anyone else has been ready to go to start the year or had an extended road trip while the arena got finished (Devils in 2007 was the most recent case of that, I think).

In the NBA I know it happened in Toronto (SkyDome/MLG -> ACC), Washington (Capital Centre -> MCI Center) and Miami (MA -> AAA) in the late 90s quite regularly. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

13 hours ago, kimball said:

In the NBA I know it happened in Toronto (SkyDome/MLG -> ACC), Washington (Capital Centre -> MCI Center) and Miami (MA -> AAA) in the late 90s quite regularly. 

Happened with the Rams as well. Played in Busch before TWA Dome was ready...

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

DC United is playing home games at various sites (e.g., Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis) to begin this season while work on Audi Field is being completed.  It's not quite the same as playing at RFK and moving midseason, but close enough to count in my opinion.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

15 hours ago, kimball said:

That's funny how SkyDome was involved in a mid-season move twice.  The Jays moved in-season from Exhibition Stadium to SkyDome in June 1989.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

35 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

DC United is playing home games at various sites (e.g., Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis) to begin this season while work on Audi Field is being completed.  It's not quite the same as playing at RFK and moving midseason, but close enough to count in my opinion.

One game at Marine Corps Stadium, one game at Maryland SoccerPlex in Boyds, Maryland and the rest of home slate at Audi Field (15 games)

3 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

It looks like at least some of the Marlins players at Fanfest today are wearing hats with a smaller logo than usual. Or at the very least it's higher up the crown. I'm not actually there so I'm just going off some pictures on Twitter.

DVsDiRbXkAIGHH6.jpg DVr17uFVMAA-nAq.jpgDVsszZVX0AAez63.jpg

From a quick glance, looks a ton better than the gaudy oversized logo they had before. Hoping they've moved to a normal-sized, normally-positioned logo full time.

Archived