ANGELCAT-IDA61

MLB changes 2018?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

Aka, why everyone hates the Padres navy/white/gray.

 

I didn't realize they were trying to be like anyone else, especially the Yankees.

 

I just hate them because they're so dull and boring and unimaginative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

We disagree on several points.

 

1.  I do like the F logo, but in general I don't think mascot-based logos belong on the chest.  I think it looks amateurish.

2.  There's only the slightest hint of teal in the uniform - it's way too black and white not only for a Florida team, but for a team that's identity was built around the color.

3.  In various articles I read while searching for the pic, it was literally designed to be "Yankees dress up".  IMO it's too conservative of a uniform for that team, especially when they had great uniforms ('97 set) that had great color balance and a traditional look that still had some flair.

4.  "looking like the Yankees while not being the Yankees" isn't good, because it means you're not confident enough in who you are so you need to emulate someone else.  There's ways to take inspiration from another club and their traditions without straight-up trying to look exactly like them.

We don't disagree as much as we think. I think it's two sides of a similar coin, kinda...

 

1. I agree that most mascot logos don't belong on the chest because they look minor league but I don't think this particular logo is "mascot based", it's still got a huge clear to read letter on it and the Marlins itself adds to the beauty of that logo... this is clearly open to interpretation 

2. Yes it definitely would be better with more teal but that's just the way those unforms were at that time so I won't use that as a fault against the uniform.

3. & 4. Yes it could be better but I feel like you're disliking that jersey more because it's Yankees dress up... do you dislike the White Sox home jersey too for the same reason?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

I didn't realize they were trying to be like anyone else, especially the Yankees.

 

I just hate them because they're so dull and boring and unimaginative.

 

Maybe they aren't explicitly (or officially) trying to be like the Yankees, but they do look like the Yankees.  And yes, it is definitely quite dull for San Diego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

Maybe they aren't explicitly (or officially) trying to be like the Yankees, but they do look like the Yankees.  And yes, it is definitely quite dull for San Diego.

 

 

I think it might be too close to the A's but I love this green and gold hat that was paired with the camo jerseys. Maybe they could make gold the primary wordmark to differentiate them.

San-Diego-Padres-Authentic-On-Field-Alte

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

That uniform wasn't amazing by any means, but I don't think it sucked. It would have been better with teal pinstripes.

 

Or teal caps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That uniform was weird because it was the same construction as their regular home unis except the logo on the chest instead of the wordmark. It wasn't different enough from the regular uniforms to make sense as an alternate. I'd get the logo on the chest treatment if it was a vest or a colored alternate, but a sleeved pinstriped jersey it was just like "why?". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

That uniform was weird because it was the same construction as their regular home unis except the logo on the chest instead of the wordmark. It wasn't different enough from the regular uniforms to make sense as an alternate. I'd get the logo on the chest treatment if it was a vest or a colored alternate, but a sleeved pinstriped jersey it was just like "why?". 

I can agree with this but reading this reminded me of this...

Image result for sf giants road uniforms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That one is very much the same amount of pointless and worse than the regular jersey. Still baffles me why they felt like they had to put the headspoon piping on the road uniforms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

We don't disagree as much as we think. I think it's two sides of a similar coin, kinda...

 

1. I agree that most mascot logos don't belong on the chest because they look minor league but I don't think this particular logo is "mascot based", it's still got a huge clear to read letter on it and the Marlins itself adds to the beauty of that logo... this is clearly open to interpretation 

2. Yes it definitely would be better with more teal but that's just the way those unforms were at that time so I won't use that as a fault against the uniform.

3. & 4. Yes it could be better but I feel like you're disliking that jersey more because it's Yankees dress up... do you dislike the White Sox home jersey too for the same reason?

 

 

 

 

I hate it on aesthetic merit, not because it's "yankees dress up".  I might hate that they're doing Yankees dress up, but I can judge the motive and the uniform separately, it's just that in this case I hate both.

 

The White Sox get a pass for two reasons: 1, there's a historical basis for them to wear a chest logo, even if not black and white, so I don't consider it "yankees dress up", though I get why some might.  2, it just looks good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I can agree with this but reading this reminded me of this...

Image result for sf giants road uniforms

 

Unpopular opinion: SF > SAN FRANCISCO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I hate the headspoon piping, too. The road jerseys were nearly perfect before that addition and now they look so cluttered. If that’s gonna stay, though, I say switch to the SF on the chest look. That’s got some historical merit, at least. It reminds me of early Bonds and late Candlestick. I still think the Giants as a whole should make a bigger deal out of that era than they do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kroywen said:

 

I would've liked a chest number on the left just to differentiate from the Yankees a bit more (yes, it trips up a bit on the White Sox, but that's ultimately a less iconic jersey design), but still, I think those are superior uniforms to what the Marlins are currently wearing. Very dignified and more cohesively designed, even if only because it was aping the most iconic uniform design in baseball.

 

What do you mean it "trips up a bit on the White Sox". Just curious for you to explain that with some more definition.  Not sure if you're saying you don't like the current Sox design or not.  I think it looks great, fwiw, on the Sox with the number.  It provides balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitesox572 said:

 

What do you mean it "trips up a bit on the White Sox". Just curious for you to explain that with some more definition.  Not sure if you're saying you don't like the current Sox design or not.  I think it looks great, fwiw, on the Sox with the number.  It provides balance.

 

He's saying that it "encroaches" on the White Sox design, or it sort of gets too close to looking like the White Sox.  I don't think he is saying he likes it or he doesn't like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitesox572 said:

 

What do you mean it "trips up a bit on the White Sox". Just curious for you to explain that with some more definition.  Not sure if you're saying you don't like the current Sox design or not.  I think it looks great, fwiw, on the Sox with the number.  It provides balance.

 

I meant that if the Marlins put a front number on that jersey, that it would look very similar to the White Sox (rather than looking similar to the Yankees). I personally do like the White Sox's jersey design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/02/2018 at 6:12 PM, AstroBull21 said:

Fanatics and MLBShop had it yesterday but it sold out fast.

Tampa Bay Rays New Era MLB Authentic Collection 20th Anniversary 59FIFTY  Cap, back in stock. listed on lids, not sure its anywhere else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

Tampa Bay Rays New Era MLB Authentic Collection 20th Anniversary 59FIFTY  Cap, back in stock. listed on lids, not sure its anywhere else

 

Lids, NewEraCap.com (which doesn’t seem to be Lids anymore), and Dick’s has them on their websites.Still waiting for the low crowns to show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

 

Maybe they aren't explicitly (or officially) trying to be like the Yankees, but they do look like the Yankees.  And yes, it is definitely quite dull for San Diego.

The Padres don't wear pinstripes or use the cap logo on the jersey. And most Padres fans would say they're trying to be like the Dodgers.

 

This seems like a fine line. Are the Marlins trying to be like the Giants? Were the Nationals trying to be like the Cardinals? Where's the cutoff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Padres don't wear pinstripes or use the cap logo on the jersey. And most Padres fans would say they're trying to be like the Dodgers.

 

This seems like a fine line. Are the Marlins trying to be like the Giants? Were the Nationals trying to be like the Cardinals? Where's the cutoff?

 

Fair point, but IIRC, there were a few "Ugh, the Padres' away jerseys look really close to the Yankees' away jerseys" when they unveiled them last year.

 

I do remember there being some "Why does Loria love orange and black? We already have two orange and black teams" comments on here when the Marlins switched (though Loria emphasized orange and especially black during the 2000s).  

 

And the Nationals are just red and navy with a whole bunch of unis. Do the hats look kinda like the Cardinals and maybe the Braves?  Sure, but the jerseys don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 9:35 AM, McCarthy said:

That one is very much the same amount of pointless and worse than the regular jersey. Still baffles me why they felt like they had to put the headspoon piping on the road uniforms. 

It was kind of a call back to the 83-93 Giants unis.  It's the closest they've come to wearing a "throwback" of that era. Which is a shame because I love that era look for the team. 

 

On 3/15/2018 at 10:48 AM, Bucfan56 said:

Yeah I hate the headspoon piping, too. The road jerseys were nearly perfect before that addition and now they look so cluttered. If that’s gonna stay, though, I say switch to the SF on the chest look. That’s got some historical merit, at least. It reminds me of early Bonds and late Candlestick. I still think the Giants as a whole should make a bigger deal out of that era than they do. 

They've done a number of anniversary days for that 89 team but I agree it kind of sits on the back burner. I was hoping they would have done something in 2014 for the 25th of that World Series. They play the A's every year, wouldn't hurt to do a Battle of the Bay throwbacks and all. Obviously the A's only difference would be socks and sleeve patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2018 at 3:22 PM, johnnysama said:

Bravo to the Diamondbacks! :D It has been 22 years since a bullpen cart graced an MLB park. I'd love to see more teams go this route, especially with the Mariners; they should bring back the tugboat (and maybe the USS Mariner in center field, while we're at it...). :)

 

I... have no idea what you're referring to but I immediately want to know all about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.