MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

4 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

So the Long Beach State logo but with an A: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/73050262014/Long_Beach_State_49ers/2014/Primary_Logo

Is that really an upgrade? Especially since it doesn't connect to the wordmark.

The current Indians' C doesn't connect to the wordmark.  The C is serifed, the wordmark is not, plus the C on the hat has more angles than the C on the road wordmark.

The Dodgers' current LA doesn't connect to the wordmark either. 

And yeah, the Long Beach logo done in "LA" might look pretty cool.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WSU151 said:

The current Indians' C doesn't connect to the wordmark.  The C is serifed, the wordmark is not.

The Dodgers' current LA doesn't connect to the wordmark either. 

No but it's neutral so it doesn't clash. A more ornate C, like the one on the hat on the previous page, is a completely different design/aesthetic, just like the Brooklyn B is when paired with the Dodgers' wordmark.

2 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

No but it's neutral so it doesn't clash. A more ornate C, like the one on the hat on the previous page, is a completely different design/aesthetic, just like the Brooklyn B is when paired with the Dodgers' wordmark.

wait, are you suggesting that's a bad thing?

A cap logo in its own style used to be terribly common.  The Boston and Milwaukee Braves used block letters on their caps but nowhere else.  Even now, the Yankees' and Mets' cap logos don't connect to the wordmark.  Neither does the Tigers' D, the A's A, the Royals' KC, the Cardinals' StL, or the Reds' C.  And all of those are among the best cap logos in baseball.

1 minute ago, Ray Lankford said:

Seems to work for the Mets.  And I think a lot of people like the classic Jackie Robinson Dodger uniforms.

Just now, Gothamite said:

A cap logo in its own style used to be terribly common.  The Boston and Milwaukee Braves used block letters on their caps but nowhere else.  Even now, the Yankees' and Mets' cap logos don't connect to the wordmark.  Neither does the Tigers' D, the A's A, the Royals' KC, the Cardinals' StL, or the Reds' C.  Am I missing any?

Mets cap logo technically connects with the road uniform wordmark 

Just now, Gothamite said:

A cap logo in its own style used to be terribly common.  The Boston and Milwaukee Braves used block letters on their caps but nowhere else.  Even now, the Yankees' and Mets' cap logos don't connect to the wordmark.  Neither does the Tigers' D, the A's A, the Royals' KC, the Cardinals' StL, or the Reds' C.  Am I missing any?

A lot of those are stretches. The Yankees have a neutral wordmark, the Tigers' D, while different, is still Old English and the A's' A is the same as on the wordmark. Even the Mets, while technically different, is still in the same ballpark.

2 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

A lot of those are stretches. The Yankees have a neutral wordmark, the Tigers' D, while different, is still Old English and the A's' A is the same as on the wordmark. Even the Mets, while technically different, is still in the same ballpark.

The Yankees' cap logo doesn't match either of their wordmarks:

1250.png 1255.gif

The Tigers' D isn't anywhere close to their wordmark.

8fci5g0pqfn954bvfi0uwewkj.gif

I'l grant you the A's.   Bad example on my part.  But still, a lot of the best cap logos in baseball have no visual connection to the wordmarks they're worn with.

By my count, ten teams have logos that are significantly different in design than their wordmarks:

-Dbacks
-Cubs
-Dodgers
-Reds
-Cardinals
-White Sox
-Tigers
-Royals
-Twins

-Yankees

But of this group, I'd argue that the Cubs, Dodgers and Yankees have either a cap logo or wordmark that is too generic to really called a design. And I'll point out that five of these teams wear their logo on their home jerseys. Also, there are only two expansion teams on the list, plus the Twins, who are sort of a grey area. 

My point is that having two distinct designs is OK if they're grandfathered in but to introduce something like that now is unnecessary. It's better for a team like the Indians, if they're not going to have a logo that matches their distinct wordmark, to just go with a neutral logo instead of forcing in a completely different design.

12 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

By my count, ten teams have logos that are significantly different in design than their wordmarks:

-Dbacks
-Cubs
-Dodgers
-Reds
-Cardinals
-White Sox
-Tigers
-Royals
-Twins

-Yankees

But of this group, I'd argue that the Cubs, Dodgers and Yankees have either a cap logo or wordmark that is too generic to really called a design. And I'll point out that five of these teams wear their logo on their home jerseys. Also, there are only two expansion teams on the list, plus the Twins, who are sort of a grey area. 

My point is that having two distinct designs is OK if they're grandfathered in but to introduce something like that now is unnecessary. It's better for a team like the Indians, if they're not going to have a logo that matches their distinct wordmark, to just go with a neutral logo instead of forcing in a completely different design.

I would say the Dodgers and Yankees have very specific designs and are not generic at all.  Especially the Yankees.  The Dodgers, while having a somewhat "boring" serifed hat logo, have a specific design because the L doubles as the crossbar in the A (you don't see that in the Long Beach logo, nor the old LA Angels logo).  The OKC Dodgers went out of their way to squeeze the Dodgers' LA logo in the "OKLA" mark.

7 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

My point is that having two distinct designs is OK if they're grandfathered in but to introduce something like that now is unnecessary. 

Why?  Serious question.

Do the Brewers have a better cap logo than the Dodgers or Reds, by virtue of matching a wordmark?

The way letterforms work in isolation can be different than the way they work in the context of a full word.  Trying to create some sort of hard-and-fast rule where it's automatically preferable that new cap logos must match the wordmark seems a bit misguided to me.

They don't have to match so much as they have to not clash. I think that hen you put two distinct designs together, they end up competing against one another and that's unnecessary. The Brewers is a bit of a strawman, since their look in general sucks but I would say that teams like the and Pirates are better because of their cohesion. And on top of that, the Reds actually suffer because their road wordmark has a look/personality that is completely separate from the cap logo. The Dodgers are still good because their cap logo gets out of the way.

52 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You think so?  I can't agree.

hx1e7lwmayecgb6h4gg5t4rz6.png

rifmozd3zmuvgev6kbf3yykbe.png

Different N, different Y.  They share a couple serifs, perhaps, but the wordmark versions have so much extra.

Yeah, its not an exact match but it's in the same family, some sort of cohesion. 

I dont like the block C because it doesnt fit the current idenity well. Yes they used it 100 years ago or whatever but shoe horning it in now out of the blue doesnt work for me. If they did more a full rebrand it would help. 

21 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

Yeah, its not an exact match but it's in the same family, some sort of cohesion. 

I dont like the block C because it doesnt fit the current idenity well. Yes they used it 100 years ago or whatever but shoe horning it in now out of the blue doesnt work for me. If they did more a full rebrand it would help. 

I dunno - the C matches their road jersey pretty well.

182406210.0.thumb.jpg.8e63ed50648e19b68dfb13831402894c.jpg

So we have almost the exact scenario as the Mets - a home jersey with wordmark that doesn't match anything, and a cap logo that is somewhat similar to the road wordmark. 

If the Mets' logos are okay because they're "in the same family", then the Indians' logos are fraternal twins.  :D

13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I dunno - the C matches their road jersey pretty well.

182406210.0.thumb.jpg.8e63ed50648e19b68dfb13831402894c.jpg

So we have almost the exact scenario as the Mets - a home jersey with wordmark that doesn't match anything, and a cap logo that is somewhat similar to the road wordmark. 

If the Mets' logos are okay because they're "in the same family", then the Indians' logos are fraternal twins.  :D

lol! You got me there, I forgot about the road uniforms. :lol:

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I think the Indians' look works for the same reason that I love the Mets' uniforms; there's synchronicity there but it has personality.  Everything is complimentary, but it's not some rigid, over-designed matchy-matchy like the Brewers.

Matchy-Matchy... you mean...Uniform?

caruso.gif.a58f637b5e29d68f8454d921d412e3e0.gif

(I actually totally agree with you, and like when they have a little personality. I just had to take the shot.)

Can I use this thread to ask a very stupid question?

When NOBs on baseball uniforms are outlined, are they the same height as letters that aren't outlined? Is there a uniform letter height?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Can I use this thread to ask a very stupid question?

When NOBs on baseball uniforms are outlined, are they the same height as letters that aren't outlined? Is there a uniform letter height?

The same could be asked of numbers, too (in all sports).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived