MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

But our world also has Fenway Park and Camden Yards, so if you can't sell the name, why not come up with something better?

So a simple, perhaps boring name is worse than becoming a corporate billboard? Fenway came from the neighborhood it is in, and Camden Yards is the name of the complex the stadium was built in. I guess they could have named it Navy Yard Park, but as @Gothamite pointed out, there is a precedent for a team named ballpark. I would also add Tiger Stadium to his list. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, Yankee Stadium, Dodger Stadium, those names’ll never stand the test of time. :P 

But Nationals Park is neither of those places. It feels like a placeholder for naming rights that never materialized. Something the tiniest bit more creative would have been preferable, whether that's naming it for a neighborhood or someone in the history of DC baseball (CitiField should have been renamed Jackie Robinson Stadium after the financial crisis) but hey, I haven't given SCalderwood a reason to passive-aggressively get up my ass in a few months, so why not.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

45 minutes ago, the admiral said:

whether that's naming it for a neighborhood or someone in the history of DC baseball

Josh Gibson Park would have been a fine choice, while Walter Johnson Stadium would have also worked (the Washington-Pittsburgh custody battle over the Homestead Grays might have interfered with the former).

If we’re doing the “stadium named after players” bit, I’d suggest a few for teams with newer venues:

Mays Park

Clemente Field

Schmidt Stadium

Gwynn Park

Nolan Ryan Ballpark at Arlington

Killebrew Field

Doby Park

Robinson Field

...and so on.

I’d also suggest renaming Marlins Park as José Martí Stadium, as he’s the one Cuban revolutionary that the exiles can get behind. I’m kind of kidding, kind of not kidding.

You can't do it for everyone, but Mays Park would have been excellent corporate citizenship from AT&T once they bought SBC, and I usually wipe my ass with the notion of good corporate citizenship in the first place. The company whose NYSE symbol is "T" doesn't need a ballpark to keep their name in the papers.

Giving Philadelphia "Schmidt Stadium" would be as wrong-footed as giving them the First Union Center.

Schmidt Stadium

"The review for Schmidt Stadium was merely a two-word review which simply read ' :censored: stadium.'"
"You can't print that."

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Giving Philadelphia "Schmidt Stadium" would be as wrong-footed as giving them the First Union Center.

Yeah, bad idea, especially when their sewers back up. How about Carlton Park?

I could go on with several. Hank Aaron Field could work for both Atlanta and Milwaukee (although Matthews or Yount Park might be better for the latter).

Miller Park, like Busch Stadium, I never really minded because Miller looms so large in Milwaukee. The city even reeks of beer when you drive in on 43.

Just now, the admiral said:

Miller Park, like Busch Stadium, I never really minded because Miller looms so large in Milwaukee. The city even reeks of beer when you drive in on 43.

I’ve lived in Milwaukee for almost two years now, and I’d argue that you’re right. There’s way more of a beer scene here than there was in any other place I’ve been. I don’t drink beer or like drinking it (too many carbs with a not-so-nice taste), but I don’t mind the smell. I guess the Miller Park name makes sense with Milwaukee.

The thing with Nationals Park's name, much like Marlins Park, is that it initially felt like a placeholder name while waiting for the economy to recover, with the intent of selling naming rights once the economy was relatively back to normal. But here we are with a strong economy, and those names persist.

I have a feeling that waiting caused the value of those naming rights to plummet - recycled naming rights are generally worth far less than being able to get your company's name on the venue from day one.

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Call me crazy, but if you’re prioritizing the curb appeal and TV shots of your stadium over the views for the people who actually pay to go inside, you might be doing it wrong. :lol:

The people going to the game are going to see the outside of the stadium too, not to mention the people who drive by it or walk by it everyday.

On 3/28/2018 at 2:21 PM, daveindc said:

The new condos will actually provide that unique level skyline that DC is known for. It's not the monument or capitol building, but that's asking too much anyway. The new building right behind the garage in the pic I posted went up last year, and there will be two new ones to the right of it that'll be mostly completed through this year and next.

lynchhalf-halfn-05-3s-201505-1.jpg

1250half-halfn-05-201705-1.jpg

westhalf-rendering-halfn-50-201512-1.jpg

That last building is kinda cool looking.  It kind of reminds me of Habitat 67 in Montreal.  Will the Capitol still be visible from the ballpark?

9 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Marlins have the roof open today. The field and team look so much better in the natural light. Maybe this will be a more reoccurring thing with Jeter

This will be a more reoccurring thing according to Jeter.

6 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

The area is growing as evidenced by the 33 cranes, but I don't think it'll ever end up like the area around Verizon Center like they imagined. 

It will once the development is complete. Every empty lot in the area is slated to have something built soon. JD Land is a great website that keeps track of the area's development. There's already a bunch of popular new bars and restaurants over there.

16 minutes ago, rxmc89 said:

That last building is kinda cool looking.  It kind of reminds me of Habitat 67 in Montreal.  Will the Capitol still be visible from the ballpark?

It's still visible in certain spots, but not as munch. Wasn't that great of a view to begin with.

5 hours ago, daveindc said:

This will be a more reoccurring thing according to Jeter.

It will once the development is complete. Every empty lot in the area is slated to have something built soon. JD Land is a great website that keeps track of the area's development. There's already a bunch of popular new bars and restaurants over there.

It's still visible in certain spots, but not as munch. Wasn't that great of a view to begin with.

It was nice to see a rare day game with the roof open at Marlins Park.  That combined with the different camera angle and the different colored backstop and I felt like I was watching a different ballpark that I had never seen before.

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’ve lived in Milwaukee for almost two years now, and I’d argue that you’re right. There’s way more of a beer scene here than there was in any other place I’ve been. I don’t drink beer or like drinking it (too many carbs with a not-so-nice taste), but I don’t mind the smell. I guess the Miller Park name makes sense with Milwaukee.

There’s also a certain what-if historical resonance.  

Frederick Miller, heir to the brewery, was instrumental in helping lure the Braves from Boston.  He died in a plane crash in 1955, but the consensus is that had he lived he would have bought the club when Perini decided to sell.  So they would have stayed in town, and it’s very likely County Stadium’s replacement would have had the exact same name as it does in our timeline.

Plus “Miller Park” just doesn’t sound corporate. It sounds like it was named after a man, not his company.  Like Busch or Wrigley. So I think a lot of people are willing to cut it some slack.  

7 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

It all comes down to if the name of the stadium/arena in a sport sounds natural. If it doesn't sound natural then it sucks.

Great Western Forum and Great American Ball Park are two of the best corporate-sponsored names because of how non-corporate they sound.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, rxmc89 said:

It was nice to see a rare day game with the roof open at Marlins Park.  That combined with the different camera angle and the different colored backstop and I felt like I was watching a different ballpark that I had never seen before.

I was there and the novelty of being outdoors wore off by the 5th inning. I relocated to a shaded area. A 4 or 7pm start would have been more tolerable. There was a nice breeze coming in from the bay.

The Miami Herald reported the roof was kept closed more often last year by order of Jeffrey Loria because the Marlins were 0-6 with it open.

1997 | 2003

Archived