MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Target field doesn't sound that corporate to me. That's probably just because I've been exposed to Target my whole life and they have basically the naming rights to everything sans US Bank Stadium

At the risk of threadjacking further, I got a real kick out of it when the Vikings moved from one Acronym Bank Stadium to another.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 hours ago, daveindc said:

It will once the development is complete. Every empty lot in the area is slated to have something built soon. JD Land is a great website that keeps track of the area's development. There's already a bunch of popular new bars and restaurants over there.

JD Land is great, I used to check it daily when the park was being built.  But Verizon Center is a centralized point of the city with 4 metro lines.  Navy Yard still feels a little out of the way.  In the summer sure there's a lot of beer festivals, those are nice.  But from November to March I never find myself in that neighborhood and I doubt I will no matter how many breweries they add.

90758391980.gif

More Nats talk!

Check out this picture from the Washington Post's Nats preview.  That All Star Game logo, is that a concept from someone done on here?  It looks familiar.  Is that an official alternate?  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/sports/nationals/top-nationals-storylines/?utm_term=.53a5530346c0

natscovercrop.jpg

90758391980.gif

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

JD Land is great, I used to check it daily when the park was being built.  But Verizon Center is a centralized point of the city with 4 metro lines.  Navy Yard still feels a little out of the way.  In the summer sure there's a lot of beer festivals, those are nice.  But from November to March I never find myself in that neighborhood and I doubt I will no matter how many breweries they add.

The new DC United park is down there too right? Seems like a decent test case for "stadiums bringing economic development" even though it's more like "DC is popular for young professionals with money to burn these days." 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, marlinfan said:

I was there and the novelty of being outdoors wore off by the 5th inning. I relocated to a shaded area. A 4 or 7pm start would have been more tolerable. There was a nice breeze coming in from the bay.

The Miami Herald reported the roof was kept closed more often last year by order of Jeffrey Loria because the Marlins were 0-6 with it open.

I wonder if theres a partial open roof setting they can open it too for those 1pm starts, where the field can be shaded but the natural light can indirectly come in.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

The new DC United park is down there too right? Seems like a decent test case for "stadiums bringing economic development" even though it's more like "DC is popular for young professionals with money to burn these days." 

Strong economic development can't really happen if there aren't people with money to burn. A lot of correlation between the two.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Navy Yard is less than a ten minute train ride from Verizon Center, and just two stops away from L'Enfant which has five metro lines (Verizon only has three). Once all the office buildings and condos actually go up it'll feel like a part of downtown.

8 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

I wonder if theres a partial open roof setting they can open it too for those 1pm starts, where the field can be shaded but the natural light can indirectly come in.

I've seen Miller Park do this a couple of different times when I've been there for day games.  I think it's mostly to deal with the bad shadows but they will partially close the right field side of the roof and leave the left side all the way open.

Phillies are not wearing any kind of Roy Halliday patch, at least on their roads. I wonder if it was because it was essentially suicide. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, daveindc said:

Navy Yard is less than a ten minute train ride from Verizon Center, and just two stops away from L'Enfant which has five metro lines (Verizon only has three). Once all the office buildings and condos actually go up it'll feel like a part of downtown.

Office buildings and condos: check. That quota has been met. Don't see how that's going to push it over the top 

90758391980.gif

1 minute ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Office buildings and condos: check. That quota has been met. Don't see how that's going to push it over the top 

Its been a few years since I lived in DC (2011), but I think it’s unfair to expect Nationals Park to transform Navy Yard into a Gallery Place/Chinatown clone. 

18 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Oakland A's are in the new kelly green alternate for the first time tonight. Legends are wearing an exclusive version where the script and numbers are in metallic gold, and if you ask me kelly green and metallic gold is really sharp.

DZk4uEIVAAIiviR.jpg:large

If the arm bands marched, that’d be amazing. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Look, I know the Padres are a cheap organization but is it really too much to ask that they get brown sleeves for their players when they wear their brown jerseys?  I'm watching the game tonight and the starting pitcher is wearing navy blue sleeves under his brown jersey.  Looks horrible, worse than Little League.

EDIT: Upon further review it seems the pitcher is the only one doing that so I withdraw all of my above comment except the part where I say the combination is ugly.  That still stands.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:27 PM, daveindc said:

DZU9HDHW0AA8G1M.jpg

Speaking of views from the parks, the recession slowed development outside Nats Park but it's finally catching up. I'm disappointed that the future buildings north of the park won't be completed by the ASG, but the view will look pretty interesting once they do go up. This pic is from today.

It’s incredible. When I was a kid, there were zero modern big buildings south of the Southeast Freeway I grew up just about a 20 minute walk from the stadium on the north side. Every time I’m home from school there’s a new block that’s shot up.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

18 hours ago, rxmc89 said:

It was nice to see a rare day game with the roof open at Marlins Park.  That combined with the different camera angle and the different colored backstop and I felt like I was watching a different ballpark that I had never seen before.

Completely agree, looks so much better with the roof open. Hopefully Jeter keeps it that way, especially for afternoon/night games

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I don't even know what any of that is supposed to mean. With the new buildings will be new retail, bars, restaurants, and a movie theater. What's already open has proven to be successful year-round. This is called economical development, and the neighborhood isn't even halfway done. I'm not sure what else your looking for.

2 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Its been a few years since I lived in DC (2011), but I think it’s unfair to expect Nationals Park to transform Navy Yard into a Gallery Place/Chinatown clone. 

The Verizon Center (now called called Capital One Area) hosts two sports teams and year-round concerts/events. I'm not sure were he got that anyone was expecting Nats Park to match that. Economic development is what they expected, and that's what they're getting.

Archived