Football Fields with Baseball Diamonds

ltjets21

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/18/2017 at 1:03 PM, leopard88 said:

^ Don't think the Vet counts for this exercise.

On 9/18/2017 at 1:03 PM, leopard88 said:

JFK Stadium (Philadelphia) --

Municipal_Stadium_Philadelphia.jpg

I'm just old enough to remember JFK being an active stadium, hosting concerts, the Stars, and the Army/Navy game, but I dont recall seeing it with a diamond.  Good pull.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Talk about in the middle of nowhere.  JFK was in what is now the stadium complex, but before the Vet, was just open space way south of center city with maybe a few distribution warehouses, and north of what was then one of the biggest / most active navy yards in the country.  Absolutely nothing of note around it - not even sure if the subway ran down there back in the day.

FWIW, the Flyers Wells Fargo center sits where JFK once stood.

4427969165_5aee0d4fe0_o.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Bradbury said:

Bears @ Wrigley Field

Maybe I'm just a mark for football at ballparks, but I wish the Bears had played the second half of their 2002 home slate at Wrigley instead of spending the whole year in Champaign. Do the first four at Champaign or Evanston or whatever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is Gill Stadium in Manchester, N.H. You can clearly see both field markings. There are portable stands set up on the outfield-side sideline (some are visible behind the end zones).

I've never umpired baseball there (it was home of the Fisher Cats for a season or two before Northeast Delta Dental Stadium opened across town), but I have officiated football. The base cutouts and pitcher's mound are not flattened when set up for football, and once I rolled my ankle in a gap between the mound cover and field (around the 45 yard line). 

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 8.33.27 PM.png

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

There's no way I'm going to allow this thread to go any further without an actual picture of the Coliseum.

Image result for oakland coliseum football baseball

I actually tried to find a picture with the baseball diamond on the football field pre-Mount Davis, but they're shockingly hard to find.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm just old enough to remember JFK being an active stadium, hosting concerts, the Stars, and the Army/Navy game, but I dont recall seeing it with a diamond.  Good pull.

I don't believe that the Stars ever played in JFK Stadium. You might be thinking of Franklin Field, where they played in 1984, their last year in Philadelphia.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I don't believe that the Stars ever played in JFK Stadium. You might be thinking of Franklin Field, where they played in 1984, their last year in Philadelphia.

Yeh just looked it up and you're right.  I would have lost a lot of money on that bet - not sure why I felt so sure it was JFK.

10 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

There's no way I'm going to allow this thread to go any further without an actual picture of the Coliseum.

Image result for oakland coliseum football baseball

I actually tried to find a picture with the baseball diamond on the football field pre-Mount Davis, but they're shockingly hard to find.

I couldn't really find high quality pictures (I'm on my iPad), but...

IMG_6952.JPG

IMG_6953.JPG

IMG_6954.JPG

Notice they had the football field in two different configurations. That last photo HAS to be after the A's season was over, while the first one was most likely during football's pre-season.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Talk about in the middle of nowhere.  JFK was in what is now the stadium complex, but before the Vet, was just open space way south of center city with maybe a few distribution warehouses, and north of what was then one of the biggest / most active navy yards in the country.  Absolutely nothing of note around it - not even sure if the subway ran down there back in the day.

FWIW, the Flyers Wells Fargo center sits where JFK once stood.

4427969165_5aee0d4fe0_o.jpg

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm in that old category too.  I remember LiveAid and when the Army/Navy game was always there.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

24 minutes ago, insert name said:

I don't get why they have Mount Davis and the top is still off limits. 

It's because no one was going to games when the Raiders were god awful (remember, they didn't have a winning season from 2002 until last year) so they tarped it off to artificially lower the capacity and avoid blackouts.

Trust me, games were blacked out all the time before (and after!) that tarp went up.

I guess Mark Davis got so used to the tarp that he refuses to take it off.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Taylor Stadium (Lehigh University) -- Bethlehem, PA

Taylor.jpg?itok=rvYHz24j

A different perspective.  Home plate would be in the top right in the picture below.

_9_Retro_Taylor_Stadium_3.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived