Football Fields with Baseball Diamonds

ltjets21

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a weird obsession with this topic. Heres a good shot of some action on the Candlestick dirt.

49ers-Titans-1999-010.jpg

Something about football on the diamond just looks so cool and hardcore to me. I miss when you could expect Sundays in September to be scattered with these games and they just played and nobody complained

03f7c8c1282d5819ffce4ff6f4954553.jpg

Here's Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati...

cin714.jpg

And more recently, here's NIU playing a home game at Guaranteed Rate Field.  I think it was the first event the park hosted after the name change - there's no other signage visible in the park, but check out the top of the third base dugout:

ct-northern-illinois-toledo-sox-park-spt

9 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:
23 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

59c1496db794f_demonspacbellpark.thumb.jpg.19ffaf315b6ea8d210b204a8dc5e10d8.jpg

Surprisingly good crowd

The Demons had a really good operation, and great fans.  This was doubly impressive considering that playing in San Francisco was a second choice, as the team was originally intended to be the San Jose Demons. More important, they had the league's best logo.

Here is a great broadcast from that park of a mid-season game against the New York / New Jersey Hitmen on TNN (now Spike TV).

This broadcast has none of the crass elements that characterised the XFL's first couple of weeks, and there was no Jesse Ventura-led silliness in the booth. The game is called by Craig Minervini with analysis from Bob Golic. This is a solid and enjoyable broadcast of a well-played game.  A fun aspect of this broadcast is provided by the participation of the Demons' regular starting quarterback, Arena League veteran Mike Pawlawski, who was out with an injury.  He was on the Demons' sideline, but he provided commentary for the entire game along with the guys in the booth.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Here's a unique one, from my alma mater, Fordham University - Jack Coffey Field:

coffey%20field.JPG

There's a grandstand for the football stadium on one sideline of the football field, and the football field is the outfield of the baseball field. There's a smaller stand for baseball games around the diamond, which can be seen in the distance.

Here it is in baseball mode, with the football grandstand off in left field:

Houlihan-Park-Baseball.jpg

And from above, this is how the "complex" looks:

jackcoffeyfield.png

A strange, but efficient set-up.

42 minutes ago, radchad said:

Sorry to continue to derail this thread with the other kind of football, but I have to mention what is undoubtedly the worst stadium in MLS right now:
yankee-stadium-chelsea.jpg

That's not an MLS game.  That's Chelsea vs. PSG.   That game took place before NYCFC were founded.  In the games played at Yankee Stadium then, the Yankees had no trouble removing the pitcher's mound.

The configuration for NYCFC looks like this.

soccer640_7qctf5ks_o6u9jauw.jpg

Notice that the pitcher's mound has not been removed, which makes the pitch narrower than it needs to be.

The fact that the Yankees refuse to remove the pitcher's mound for the matches of the team that they partially own is annoying; and I have complained about it on several occasions here and elsewhere.  But lately I have stopped because NYCFC have the league's second best home record.  Also, the team currently sits fifth in the league in attendance, after having finished third in each of its first two seasons.  

All of that is to say that the stadium is not a problem.  In fact, playing in a historic location that is so easily reached by the subway definitely helps the team.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

51 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That's not an MLS game.  That's Chelsea vs. PSG.   That game took place before NYCFC were founded.  In the games played at Yankee Stadium then, the Yankees had no trouble removing the pitcher's mound.

The configuration for NYCFC looks like this.

soccer640_7qctf5ks_o6u9jauw.jpg

Notice that the pitcher's mound has not been removed, which makes the pitch narrower than it needs to be.

The fact that the Yankees refuse to remove the pitcher's mound for the matches of the team that they partially own is annoying; and I have complained about it on several occasions here and elsewhere.  But lately I have stopped because NYCFC have the league's second best home record.  Also, the team currently sits fifth in the league in attendance, after having finished third in each of its first two seasons.  

All of that is to say that the stadium is not a problem.  In fact, playing in a historic location that is so easily reached by the subway definitely helps the team.

I'm aware that's Chelsea vs. PSG.  I chose that photo because it best showed the location of the diamond relative to the pitch.

No one disputes the fact that Yankee Stadium is historic and is in a great location.  But the sightlines from the seats near the 3rd base line have to be less than ideal, and as you mentioned, the pitch is narrowed to avoid the pitcher's mound.  Yankee Stadium is a wonderful ballpark.  Hell, I imagine it would be a fun place to watch a few exhibition soccer matches each year.  But surely with 17 home matches in a season the shortcomings become more noticeable.  And sure, a winning team makes everything more tolerable, but if we gave every successful team a pass on their small aesthetic missteps, what would we have left to complain about on the forum anymore? ;)

Target Field is hosting it's first football game this weekend, and here is what the field looks like:

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

More Minnesota Pics!

METOOD.jpg

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD

Minnesota            

Is                      

LOSERVILLE          

3 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Baseball at Alamodome...I would’ve loved to have seen this in person. Right field though!

0303E0B5-8A57-4EE6-8ECE-19FB795D8003.jpeg

If MLB ever wanted a team to even temporarily play at the Alamodome, they would've needed to make all the seats in the first tier in RF retractable (just like the Metrodome). That RF is a complete joke, and wouldn't have been viable even for a couple seasons' worth of home games.

Obviously you couldn't sell the seats in the RF upper deck either, since they wouldn't be able to see half the field. Maybe for playoff games at a steeply discounted rate, but they would've needed to be tarped off during the regular season, a la the Metrodome.

Not a great picture but this was taken before a Blue Jays exhibition game at Taylor Field in Regina in 1989.  Manager Jimy Williams is standing by home plate (obviously covered).  In the background you can see the pitcher's mound as well as the (very temporary) outfield fence.

toronto-blue-jays-manager-jimy-williams-

17 hours ago, buzzcut said:

Target Field is hosting it's first football game this weekend, and here is what the field looks like:

So why are they hosting a football game in a baseball stadium when there's a stadium made for football a few blocks down?

XM4KeeA.png

Archived