Football Fields with Baseball Diamonds

ltjets21

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Ark said:

It's not over yet!

As I Raiders fan I have some thoughts about this:

First of all, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I love this idea. That stadium is one of the best in baseball and seeing Raiders football there is gonna be really cool. Second, the Raiders actually playing San Francisco but the 49ers not is really hilarious, it makes the 49ers look really bad. Also, finally, the Raiders played their first two seasons in San Francisco, so it's kinda poetic that they begin and end their Bay Area stint in SF.

bSLCtu2.png

It’s not official yet (still needs approval from the NFL and the 49ers), but I think — outside of a resolution to keep them in Oakland one final year — this is the best solution. We get one more (half) season of football on infield dirt, it’s a beautiful stadium with a unique backdrop and allows Bay Area fans more time with the team. I’m all for the idea of a shanked punt into McCovey Cove — no matter how unlikely or how bad of a kick it would need to be. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/3/2019 at 3:19 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I like that last one.  Smart way to use space.

Was thinking the same thing, very unique vs. what I've seen at the HS level. I'm sure setting up those temporary fences probably gets old for the baseball/softball teams though.

On 7/5/2019 at 3:14 PM, BigDmo said:

Was thinking the same thing, very unique vs. what I've seen at the HS level. I'm sure setting up those temporary fences probably gets old for the baseball/softball teams though.

I know one thing, that setup gives Horlick Field a run for its money as far as odd setups go.  The movie A League of Their Own had to use a stand-in stadium because while the exterior is largely unchanged from the 40's, the interior changed radically: there's a football field...and a baseball diamond.  Separated by bleachers and a wall.  And yes, I mean this as in both are permanently there.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:08 AM, Down Under Husker said:

A couple more photos of old Mile High:

mile-high-stadium-denver-broncos-vintage

milehighpostcard002.jpg

Too me this is the best set up for both Football and Baseball. You would have never guess it was also a baseball field on tv, unless you saw a baseball game played there.

12 hours ago, Slammersman said:

Too me this is the best set up for both Football and Baseball. You would have never guess it was also a baseball field on tv, unless you saw a baseball game played there.

I've always thought this was a pretty cool arrangement, thought it isn't ideal for baseball with so many seats in the outfield and large gaps in the corners.

Baseball --

spacer.pngspacer.png

Football --

spacer.pngspacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Echo said:

Last time Oakland hosted the Chargers on MNF was 2012, so yeah, seriously...

Ooooooh, that makes sense, I was thinking this was this or last year.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• 8 months later...

1c8ee7aa6f2e6bac5e126776d255da0d-origina

The Raiders new Allegiant stadium sent me back down this rabbit hole where I found this picture. From all the old clips I watched this set up was only used for one game vs the Jets on September 25th, 2011. I find it odd that they would leave out the baseball diamond but replace the grass over the dirt in the end zone. The Athletics ended their season on September 22nd with no chance of a playoff appearance. I assume the three days was not enough time to do the complete makeover but I find it odd it only occurred once but it is a nice balance between the two. I know it will never happen but i wish the raiders would've maybe put a dirt corner to their end zones or something as a nod to the old days.

And, just for reference sake, with the Raiders now in Las Vegas at Allegiant, there are no longer ANY NFL teams sharing field time with MLB teams (or vice-versa).

It is what it is.

• 4 weeks later...

It's really to bad that we are seeing the demise of the mult-function stadiums of yesteryears.  You know, San Jose and Las Vegas came out the bread winners when it comes to the new football stadiums. They spent the money got the stadiums built, now 2 cities (San Francisco & Oakland) with combined metropolitian area of 4,731,000; neither could come up with a plan to build 2 new stadiums ( let alone one football stadium for 2 teams like New Jersey did and Los Angeles is). I always said there is more than enough property at the Oakland Alameda complex to build 2 stadiums, now that the Warriors have a new arena across the Bay in San Francisco. And the A's are finally thinking about building at new stadium on site, which they should've done from the get go. If they don't, San Jose could very well make a push for the A's as well, and put the final nail in the coffin to Oakland.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:53 PM, Tygers09 said:

It's really to bad that we are seeing the demise of the mult-function stadiums of yesteryears. 

No, it's not. Multipurpose stadiums were terrible places both to play and watch ANY sport. There's a reason why football is played on a grid and baseball is played on a diamond, and mashing them together always failed miserably. And the cookie-cutter design of these stadiums just made it worse. There was absolutely no local color - they were all exactly the same. I'm glad they've mostly all been blown up.

Archived