ltjets21

Football Fields with Baseball Diamonds

17 minutes ago, Ark said:

It's not over yet!

As I Raiders fan I have some thoughts about this:

First of all, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I love this idea. That stadium is one of the best in baseball and seeing Raiders football there is gonna be really cool. Second, the Raiders actually playing San Francisco but the 49ers not is really hilarious, it makes the 49ers look really bad. Also, finally, the Raiders played their first two seasons in San Francisco, so it's kinda poetic that they begin and end their Bay Area stint in SF.

It’s not official yet (still needs approval from the NFL and the 49ers), but I think — outside of a resolution to keep them in Oakland one final year — this is the best solution. We get one more (half) season of football on infield dirt, it’s a beautiful stadium with a unique backdrop and allows Bay Area fans more time with the team. I’m all for the idea of a shanked punt into McCovey Cove — no matter how unlikely or how bad of a kick it would need to be. 

SunTrust Park, Atlanta

SunTrust-Park-football.jpg

Southwest Christian HS, Fort Worth TX

screen_shot_2018-04-16_at_3.24.48_pm.png

Soccer at Dodger Stadium

baseball-football_01.jpg

Chase Field, Phoenix

usa_today_9032585.jpg

Medina HS, Medina NY

medina_vertex_1920x1080-en-1510175490.jp

On 7/3/2019 at 3:19 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I like that last one.  Smart way to use space.

Was thinking the same thing, very unique vs. what I've seen at the HS level. I'm sure setting up those temporary fences probably gets old for the baseball/softball teams though.

On 7/5/2019 at 3:14 PM, BigDmo said:

Was thinking the same thing, very unique vs. what I've seen at the HS level. I'm sure setting up those temporary fences probably gets old for the baseball/softball teams though.

I know one thing, that setup gives Horlick Field a run for its money as far as odd setups go.  The movie A League of Their Own had to use a stand-in stadium because while the exterior is largely unchanged from the 40's, the interior changed radically: there's a football field...and a baseball diamond.  Separated by bleachers and a wall.  And yes, I mean this as in both are permanently there.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:08 AM, Down Under Husker said:

A couple more photos of old Mile High:

mile-high-stadium-denver-broncos-vintage

milehighpostcard002.jpg

Too me this is the best set up for both Football and Baseball. You would have never guess it was also a baseball field on tv, unless you saw a baseball game played there.

12 hours ago, Slammersman said:

Too me this is the best set up for both Football and Baseball. You would have never guess it was also a baseball field on tv, unless you saw a baseball game played there.

I've always thought this was a pretty cool arrangement, thought it isn't ideal for baseball with so many seats in the outfield and large gaps in the corners.

Baseball --

spacer.pngspacer.png

Football --

spacer.pngspacer.png

On 7/3/2019 at 9:01 AM, mjrbaseball said:

Medina HS, Medina NY

medina_vertex_1920x1080-en-1510175490.jp

The overlapping of the different sport markings on that football field was what partially inspired the design of my Driveball field.

22 hours ago, kimball said:

Seriously ... San Diego? 

Last time Oakland hosted the Chargers on MNF was 2012, so yeah, seriously...

1 hour ago, Echo said:

Last time Oakland hosted the Chargers on MNF was 2012, so yeah, seriously...

Ooooooh, that makes sense, I was thinking this was this or last year.