Apex soccer league logos

jdp

Forgive what is a double post, but the General Design forum doesn’t seem to be running rampant with active users. These are at least concepts for a real-life soccer league, so I’m hoping this is considered a legit post.

Anyway, I'm in the throes of creating an adult rec soccer league in my area--the Rocky Mountains. I'm calling it Apex Rec Soccer League, drawing on both the noun and the verb form of the word "apex." I've narrowed down about 20 ideas to these two, both of which are shown in color and B&W. I have my thoughts on which is better and why I designed the way I did; typesetting will be completed when I finalize the logo itself. I'll hold off on my own thoughts until there is initial feedback.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/praise/critiques.

Apex.png.2abbfaf84799a8c5bf3e88a9b5696e2d.png

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Number 1 you can really see the A, but the mountain is less obvious.

In number 2, the A is harder to see, but its more clearly a mountain.

I'd go with whichever element you want to highlight more. If the A, go with 1. If the mountain, go with 2.

I think either way it's clear enough that you've got an A and a mountain. They're complimentary enough that neither option is clearly better than the other in terms of readability, at least in my opinion. I would go with 2 because the shape fills in the circle a bit more symmetrically. I'd change the stroke widths of the circle and the A so that they match. Probably better off going with the slightly thinner weight of the A. I also quite like the rounded corners of the snow, and would be interested to see how it would look if you rounded the other corners as well. Hopefully that helps a little bit!

17 hours ago, nas1787 said:

Number 1 you can really see the A, but the mountain is less obvious.

In number 2, the A is harder to see, but its more clearly a mountain.

I'd go with whichever element you want to highlight more. If the A, go with 1. If the mountain, go with 2.

^ This has been my dilemma. Not sure which to go with. My initial thoughts were 1 so it's less about the mountain and more about the name. Most feedback seems to lean toward 2, however. For instance...

4 hours ago, henburg said:

I think two is my favorite, I can see both elements in that one best. 

^ My biggest issue with 2 is I cannot unsee a steering wheel (especially when B&W).

2 hours ago, chickenfish13 said:

I think either way it's clear enough that you've got an A and a mountain. They're complimentary enough that neither option is clearly better than the other in terms of readability, at least in my opinion. I would go with 2 because the shape fills in the circle a bit more symmetrically. I'd change the stroke widths of the circle and the A so that they match. Probably better off going with the slightly thinner weight of the A. I also quite like the rounded corners of the snow, and would be interested to see how it would look if you rounded the other corners as well. Hopefully that helps a little bit!

^ Thinner, eh? Fair enough. But, when you mention rounding the other corners, what do you mean, exactly? The only parts not rounded in 2 are where the A meets the circle.

Two additional questions for any and all: Does the logo need to have more "soccer " to it? One other concept I had was the A/mountain in a pentagon, representing a soccer ball patch (its quite asymmetrical, though).

Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Personally I prefer 1 as the sharper mountain underlines more the idea of the apex of the mountain. 

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

1 hour ago, jdp said:

^ Thinner, eh? Fair enough. But, when you mention rounding the other corners, what do you mean, exactly? The only parts not rounded in 2 are where the A meets the circle.

Two additional questions for any and all: Does the logo need to have more "soccer " to it? One other concept I had was the A/mountain in a pentagon, representing a soccer ball patch (its quite asymmetrical, though).

I'm usually partial to thicker lines, but the circle seems a bit too thick to me. Honestly I'd have to see both and compare side by side to really tell. 

Here's a very hasty and bad example of what I had in mind with rounding the corners. This is, again, mostly just a preference thing.

apexexample.png

4 hours ago, chickenfish13 said:

I'm usually partial to thicker lines, but the circle seems a bit too thick to me. Honestly I'd have to see both and compare side by side to really tell. 

Here's a very hasty and bad example of what I had in mind with rounding the corners. This is, again, mostly just a preference thing.

apexexample.png

Kind of what I was thinking. Although I haven't tried this yet, I envision losing a bit of the A. But I'll see how it looks. Thanks.

The second version is the better one in regards to conveying both the A and the mountain. However, I agree that the weight of the strokes is too heavy. Also, once the steering wheel was mentioned, it's really hard to unsee. Maybe you can add a bit more mountain details to counter that, and/or make it a different shape than a circle. A shield might work well here.

6 hours ago, Captain Tsubasa said:

The second version is the better one in regards to conveying both the A and the mountain. However, I agree that the weight of the strokes is too heavy. Also, once the steering wheel was mentioned, it's really hard to unsee. Maybe you can add a bit more mountain details to counter that, and/or make it a different shape than a circle. A shield might work well here.

You know, I don't think I tried a shield on this A design. Had plenty of shield concepts, just not with this. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Revisions.

1 - Same stroke weights

2 & 3 - within a shield, same stroke weights

apex_rev.jpg.8f2c8af45ab02c9265125eab503fee0f.jpg

I'm still leaning toward more of an A (2 in the revision, 1 in the original post). There's almost too much green/white space in the  other A.

12 hours ago, Captain Tsubasa said:

I think it looks better in a shield and prefer option no. 3. However, I still find the strokes too heavy/thick. 

As for option no. 2, it gives me pencil tip vibes. ^_^

Clearly, I am still the only one who prefers the narrower A. :lonely:

And yeah, I've seen the pencil since the beginning, actually. But flattening the bottom of the crossbar of the A helped remove some of that. At least to me.

For #3, any thoughts on adding "ARSL or "APEX" in the green space?

Archived