NBA 2017-18: A Tale of Two Conferences

buzzcut

28 minutes ago, who do you think said:

The Celtics aren't going to be a free out for the Sixers or anyone else not named Cleveland. This year's Celtics have been at their best when the pressure is off and nobody is looking at them. They struggle when expectations are placed on them (as one would expect with a roster that's half rookies and 2nd year players). Kyrie's injury means everyone has written them off. No expectations. No matter who the Celtics face, all eyes will be on the other team. That works in their favor. And honestly even without Irving this year's Celtics aren't far off from last year's Celtics, who overachieved and probably would've gone down to Washington if the Wizards had any poise whatsoever.

If the picture stays as it is now, Celtics still have a slight chance at making it back to the ECF. 

Bucks & Heat are 2 teams they can likely still beat.

76ers matchup would definitely be the toughest. Not sure they will get by them without Kyrie. 

Basically all the teams that would be a nightmare for the Celtics, (Toronto, Cleveland, Indy) are on the other side of the EC bracket.  

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

That's giving Hinkie all possible credit, and I'll grant it. I'll just add that what he sucked at is player development, and it's not fair that Okafor and Noel were thrown away like garbage. Instead of being able to learn how to play, they were forced to sit and their careers may never recover.

One other reason that Hinkie may never work in the NBA again is because his resignation letter was bat :censored: crazy.

I wonder if the intent for him to ever be in charge of the “good times”? The organization definitely didn’t invest anything into player development... or even a competent medical staff. They just wante assets and bodies. 

I dont know enough to know if Noel was good or not or was workable in their system, but Okefor kinda sucked and had (albeit minor) off court issues and character questions. They (colangelo) held on to him too long rather than trading him when he had actual value after his first season. 

Hinkie woulda gotten 15 conditional 2nd round picks over the next 8 seasons and a bottle of fine Chianti for him. 

Edit: that resignation letter was magic

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Huh. The Jazz are up nearly 50 over a Warriors team that started and played significant minutes to Durant, Green and Thompson.

Seems ominous.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Huh. The Jazz are up nearly 50 over a Warriors team that started and played significant minutes to Durant, Green and Thompson.

Seems ominous.

Utah has something play for (possible 3 seed). Jazz play my choking Blazers tomorrow night in Portland for the Northwest title and the 3 seed. 

5 minutes ago, Wings said:

Utah has something play for (possible 3 seed). Jazz play my choking Blazers tomorrow night in Portland for the Northwest title and the 3 seed. 

I'd rather have the Pelicans than the Spurs in the first round if I were the Jazz. The #3 seed, right now, gets them San Antonio. Though, if I had to choose, probably these sadsack Warriors in the second round instead of the Rockets.

The West remains a bloodbath. I don't feel confident picking any series 2-7.

EDIT: Ha ha -- on your ass, Draymond: https://streamable.com/i1s8r

One thing people aren't talking about this year is that Draymond has been kind of washed.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I'd rather have the Pelicans than the Spurs in the first round if I were the Jazz. The #3 seed, right now, gets them San Antonio. Though, if I had to choose, probably these sadsack Warriors in the second round instead of the Rockets.

One thing people aren't talking about this year is that Draymond has been kind of washed.

A Rockets-Jazz Western Final would be fun. 

16 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Just going to pretend Gobert's big ass feet weren't involved ?

3 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

The Jazz look like a well-oiled machine. They could be a serious dark horse. GS seems to be fading at the wrong time (or the right time if you`re anyone else). I truly believe Utah could take out any team in the league other than Houston in a 7 gamer, and even that would be a good series.

This may sound crazy, but I truly think this year’s Jazz team is even better than last year’s and can go farther. That’s not some disgruntled knock on Hayward or anything (I’m still one of those Jazz fans that’s not mad at him at all), but they just look like they’re playing on a whole other level than they were last year. Last year I knew the end of the road was the second round, but this year I look at them and think, “gosh, this team could actually make a run.”

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Who’s this jabroni on the jaZz that I heard said he should win ROY despite 0 triple doubles and 0 double doubles because “Ben Simmons had a year to study for his test so he shouldn’t qualify”?

Simmons has 12 triple doubles and a ton of double doubles. 

I heard a stat that I cannot believe but have no way to verify - Simmons has more triple doubles his rookie year than some teams have had their entire existence. That doesn’t sound right, but while fact checking I could only find totals by player, not by team. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I’m really not worried about whether or not Mitchell will get the RoY. I think he’s on course for a great all-star career no matter what, so he’ll be fine either way. If he wins it, that’s awesome. If not, no big deal. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

14 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m really not worried about whether or not Mitchell will get the RoY. I think he’s on course for a great all-star career no matter what, so he’ll be fine either way. If he wins it, that’s awesome. If not, no big deal. 

but how can a guy that's never even had a double double even be considered for an award or a great all-star career?  I've never seen him, so just curious what I'm missing.  I'm pretty sure anyone can have a double double, even if just by accident.

Donovan Mitchell is the principle scorer on a 48-win team, and helped lead the team to the playoffs after they lost Gordon Hayward.

In any event, this is an incredible year for rookies: Simmons*, Tatum, Ball, Mitchell, Lauri, Kuzma, and Smith Jr. have all been very good. Guys like Fultz*, Jackson, Anunoby, Hart, Bell, Fox, Adebayo, and Monk might all be very good too.

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

but how can a guy that's never even had a double double even be considered for an award or a great all-star career?  I've never seen him, so just curious what I'm missing.  I'm pretty sure anyone can have a double double, even if just by accident.

His passing is improving, so the assists and double-doubles will come. But he’s averaging 20 points a night, leads a playoff team in scoring, is 17th in plus-minus (and is like 2nd or 3rd since January), broke the rookie record for 3-pointers made, has 38 20-pt games, 4 30-pt games, and 2 40-pt games, and the rest of what makes up my belief that he’ll be a star has come only from being able to watch him day in and day out. He is literally leading the Jazz’s offense as a rookie and carries the weight of the offense on his shoulders. That’s something you can only observe if you watch him. He does a lot of remarkable things with the basketball and has a killer scoring sixth sense. All of this and yet he’s still getting better.

Is he as complete a player as Ben Simmons? No, but he’s still a great player and has a bright future in his own right.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

58 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

His passing is improving, so the assists and double-doubles will come. But he’s averaging 20 points a night, leads a playoff team in scoring, is 17th in plus-minus (and is like 2nd or 3rd since January), broke the rookie record for 3-pointers made, has 38 20-pt games, 4 30-pt games, and 2 40-pt games, and the rest of what makes up my belief that he’ll be a star has come only from being able to watch him day in and day out. He is literally leading the Jazz’s offense as a rookie and carries the weight of the offense on his shoulders. That’s something you can only observe if you watch him. He does a lot of remarkable things with the basketball and has a killer scoring sixth sense. All of this and yet he’s still getting better.

Is he as complete a player as Ben Simmons? No, but he’s still a great player and has a bright future in his own right.

Thanks. His sweatshirt is still dumb. 

Archived