infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL Week 3

infrared41

Not a whole lot to work with this week, but we still managed to get four pretty good looking games for the best list. Luckily for us, the worst list is just one and a half games long.

As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may be different from mine and you are encouraged to say so. Let's get started. 

Best:

1. Raiders - Washington: The Raiders road uniform is my favorite road look. Throw in those great looking "original Americans" uniforms and this game was the easy choice for the top spot this week. Good enough for the first "every game should look this good" of the 2017 season. 

bJZzFi2.jpgg1VNvlh.jpg

2. Giants - Eagles: I think it's safe to say that the Eagles are this season's improvement through attrition team. The Giants are up there with the Raiders on my list of great looking road uniforms. Really good looking game. 

hRRj5E2.jpg

3. Seahawks - Titans: Seattle has two uniform combos that I think look pretty good when matched with the right teams. The white over gray is one of them. There are still a few too many "gadgety" elements with the 'Hawks uniforms, but for the most part, this is a very solid look. Why Tennessee thinks a complete overhaul of this great home set is a mystery to me. It's a great looking "modern" (read non-traditional) uniform. Enjoy your time on the best list, Seattle. I'm guessing you won't be spending a lot of time here. 

plWi7BA.jpg

4. Saints - Panthers: Kudos to the Saints for finally wearing a good looking uniform this season. Now we have to deduct 5 points for those awful collars. I like Carolina's all white look, but it's time to break out the black jerseys. 

x5AhI6g.jpg

Worst:

1. Ravens - Jaguars: We need to apologize to London for both the game these teams played and the uniforms these teams wore. The Jags are just a few minor tweaks and a fixed helmet away from a really great look. I know they're called the Ravens and black should be part of the color scheme, but we have to be able to do better than those awful pants, right? 

gbJD9LE.jpg

This week's "Thanks for ruining a great match up" award goes to the Chicago Bears for wearing these ugly-assed throwbacks. I like throwback uniforms. I don't like 1950's High School football uniforms. The Bears have one of the best home uniforms in all of football - maybe they'll actually wear it at some point this season.

kweCKXf.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for taking a look. 

BB52Big.jpg

Colts-Browns looked pretty good, in my mind. It'd likely find a way into my top five if I sat down and put it together. I'm still not a fan of the Browns' set as a whole, but the color matchup was very visually appealing.

I'd say overall my top two would be the same. Both matchups were superb.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 9/26/2017 at 7:42 PM, Tracy Jordan said:

I'm surprised to see the Rams-49ers game didn't make it on your list this week. That one was easily the worst looking matchup of the week, IMO. 

I explained why color rush games weren't going to be a part of the weekly worst list back in week one. 

BB52Big.jpg

I'm very surprised that the Bears have ended up among the worst in two out of three weeks (maybe even three if Tampa O'Clock dragged them into the muck last week) but it's their own doing. The Bears should not have alternates or throwbacks. Some brands don't expand.

I don't know what to do with the Ravens on the road. My ideal Ravens home uniform is head-to-toe black with some purple sheen where applicable, but a road version is understandably dicier. Black helmet, white jersey....purple pants, black socks??

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I actually liked the Chicago-Pittsburgh match-up because those teams actually played against each other in the 1940s, so there's historical significance there. I prefer this so much more than against the Buccaneers. It would probably be better if they limited the usage to just once per season though (like Green Bay and Pittsburgh do with their bad-looking throwbacks).

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

I'm curious, even though I think I know the answer.

Any chance that the Broncos make the best list, wearing their regular set of uniforms @infrared41

Not likely. I think the Broncos current uniforms are among the worst in the league. It's been 20 years now and I'm still wondering why they changed their look.

I'll never understand why the team thought this...

890c95868566629a410a8875601509da--john-e

was a better look than this... 

7672d13b30cad133c29f15be72e4384f.jpg

That being said, I do like the Broncos current color scheme. Their color rush uniforms are a great start towards a new look. The jersey and helmet look fantastic. Add some white pants to the CR set, use the orange pants for the road uniforms, add a blue alternate jersey, and I think it's one of the top uniforms in the league. Seems easy enough to me. B)

broncos_chargers_002.jpg?w=620

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, G-tron said:

I actually liked the Chicago-Pittsburgh match-up because those teams actually played against each other in the 1940s, so there's historical significance there. 

The Bears throwback is an ugly uniform. Historical significance ain't changing that.  B)

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I'm very surprised that the Bears have ended up among the worst in two out of three weeks

Tell me about it. The Bears are usually money in the bank for the best list. When I saw Steelers at Bears on last week's schedule, I immediately thought "there's the top spot on the best list." I was really disappointed to see they went with the throwbacks. Same thing happened last year when the Bears played the Packers at home. 

BB52Big.jpg

The Bears-Steelers matchup would've worked with the Steelers also in 1940s throwbacks:

1945_Pittsburgh.png?6181

But the Steelers wearing a uniform with italicized numbers and truncated sleeve stripes against the Bears' 1940s throwbacks? It's visually jarring.

Plus, it robbed us of what should be one of the top uniform matchups of the year:

chicago-bears-cornerback-charles-tillman

A shame we missed that, considering it only comes around once every 8 years (in the regular season, at least).

55 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Not likely. I think the Broncos current uniforms are among the worst in the league. It's been 20 years now and I'm still wondering why they changed their look.

I'll never understand why the team thought this...

890c95868566629a410a8875601509da--john-e

was a better look than this... 

7672d13b30cad133c29f15be72e4384f.jpg

That being said, I do like the Broncos current color scheme. Their color rush uniforms are a great start towards a new look. The jersey and helmet look fantastic. Add some white pants to the CR set, use the orange pants for the road uniforms, add a blue alternate jersey, and I think it's one of the top uniforms in the league. Seems easy enough to me. B)

broncos_chargers_002.jpg?w=620

Because it was the 90's and it was change for the sake of change. I also think they wanted to distance themselves a bit and cast off the old Broncos era that just couldn't quite get over that Super Bowl hump. That was revolutionary back then. The side paneling that came to a fanged point, the futuristic looking helmet.

The look was panned when it was first introduced but the team won the Super Bowl its first two years wearing it so that pretty much solidified the uniforms for a long long time. I don't think people ever really fell in love with them, they just sort of accepted and got used to them.

While watching the Raiders at Redskins game, apart from the great uniforms, I noticed the towels more than usual.

Why don't they make the towel ends striped or splattered to stimulate the outer feathers of the logo?

Redskins.jpg

Archived