JagAaron33

Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

Recommended Posts

For comparison's sake here are a couple of teams with similar colors to each other, one with a matte black, and the other glossy black. The matte looks cheap and unfinished. And the decals don't look like a cohesive piece of the helmet, but just looks like a sticker and stands out in a bad way. Really makes me wish Arkansas State would go back to gloss finish black helmets. 

q6XQWzM.jpg

vESBXJu.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2017 at 1:49 PM, phutmasterflex said:

 

Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Chicago+Bears+Svq

 

 

I have no good reason to prefer this road uniform with more black than teal, but I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't visit the site for a few days and this bombshell slips past my radar... I would think a team with such a short history will probably keep making "bold" uniform decisions, so I would be content with any wacky primary with a conservative-enough helmet to bust out the old 90's set as an alternate, whether its the '98 stylized version or the original '95 block number version... it helps that the '99 squad is one of the great forgotten teams in NFL history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God, imagine what all that teal cupcake frosting is gonna do to your poop. You go to the bathroom and suddenly you're birthing Raffi Torres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

For comparison's sake here are a couple of teams with similar colors to each other, one with a matte black, and the other glossy black. The matte looks cheap and unfinished. And the decals don't look like a cohesive piece of the helmet, but just looks like a sticker and stands out in a bad way. Really makes me wish Arkansas State would go back to gloss finish black helmets. 

q6XQWzM.jpg

vESBXJu.jpg

 

Even if it weren't for the glossy black helmet looking gorgeous by comparison in these pics, I don't think that I'll ever get over the fact that matte helmets, to me, are primarily associated with second-rate college teams trying hard to be relevant in the uni/recruiting game, amplifying the "cheap" angle to them. Premiere programs just don't often stoop to that, and for a good reason.

 

Also, the way that matte domes get horrendously scuffed up so easily just looks disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I would think a team with such a short history will probably keep making "bold" uniform decisions

 

Well, Jacksonville is "The Bold New City of the South."

 

f795247b1733d25f760192f936e3a5c5--vintag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Satin =/= matte

 

A satin black helmet would look great and you have to look no further than the from half of the Jags current helmet. 

 

Matte black on a helmet on the other hand looks like someone sprayed primer on the helmet, ran out of time for the main color and so the logos were slapped on and it was called good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lbj273 said:

Satin =/= matte

 

A satin black helmet would look great and you have to look no further than the from half of the Jags current helmet. 

 

Matte black on a helmet on the other hand looks like someone sprayed primer on the helmet, ran out of time for the main color and so the logos were slapped on and it was called good.

Looks like regular old matte to me. 

VrpYt9E.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Looks like regular old matte to me. 

VrpYt9E.png

 

 

The original press release also states as much.

 

Quote

The new helmet features a unique fade from gold to a matte black finish in the front - another symbolic forward-facing characteristic of the uniform.

 

Also, it still looks hideous, just like every other part of the helmet. It would suffice to say that that helmet would go from a 1/10 to about a 1.8/10 if it faded into glossy black instead of trying to force the glossy to matte fade.

 

You can push for pointless satin all you want but it will still never be a better option for any new helmet over glossy, and I will still believe that it is simply the result of people trying to reconcile their fascination with alternative helmet finishes with the fact that they know that matte will never look good enough for an NFL uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we all get on teal as being a product of the 90's but I think it would be a great idea for teams that were born in that decade to use teal as their identity. The first Jags unis were fine and all of the leagues should have a teal team(Marlins,Sharks,Grizzlies). Now I do think the Pistons jumped on the teal band wagon and has no place on a Piston logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

For comparison's sake here are a couple of teams with similar colors to each other, one with a matte black, and the other glossy black. The matte looks cheap and unfinished. And the decals don't look like a cohesive piece of the helmet, but just looks like a sticker and stands out in a bad way. Really makes me wish Arkansas State would go back to gloss finish black helmets. 

q6XQWzM.jpg

vESBXJu.jpg

 

 

Don't know why you're posting two random colleges when we already have relevant pics, but I'll respond with these matte helmets that aren't dirty like the one you posted so we can have a better comparison:

 

usa_today_9641894.jpg

new-2013-utah-blackout-football-uniforms

michael-rector-christian-mccaffrey-devon

CVgMB_TUAAARSY4.jpg

 

These look correct on sports uniforms. Perfect fit.

The patent leather look is cheap and tacky, and doesn't look right on athletic gear. This is what sports teams are now admitting. The look belongs on dress shoes, not sports uniforms: 

 

flors387415_209185_jb.jpg

collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com_files_2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do black patent leather football helmets really reflect up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, daveindc said:

 

 

Don't know why you're posting two random colleges when we already have relevant pics, but I'll respond with these matte helmets that aren't dirty like the one you posted so we can have a better comparison:

 

usa_today_9641894.jpg

new-2013-utah-blackout-football-uniforms

michael-rector-christian-mccaffrey-devon

CVgMB_TUAAARSY4.jpg

 

These look correct on sports uniforms. Perfect fit.

The patent leather look is cheap and tacky, and doesn't look right on athletic gear. This is what sports teams are now admitting. The look belongs on dress shoes, not sports uniforms: 

 

flors387415_209185_jb.jpg

collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com_files_2

 

im with you about 99% here. i dont think we can look at helmet finishes as a right/wrong answer, or that one finish should rule them all. we have options now and when we use them depends on a few things. how does the color look in multiple finishes? does it match the jersey materials? which jersey materials are we trying to match? what kind of look are we going for? how do we want to this whole uniform to feel? is this a traditional brand? will the art be painted or decals? all things i would ask before selecting a gloss/satin/matte/other finish.

 

if i have to pick one, i like satin because it does match modern material better than gloss but you get a better sense of depth than with matte, and the curves and form of the helmet comes out through deeper shadows/highlights. like MSU here

 

150320_Nike_Michigan_State_home_3541_original.thumb.jpg.d631a2cce5737aa35e3a62c1250558d9.jpg

 

yet in this specific case, its not offensive by any means but that helmet does not match the uniform material as well as i would like. this is why you have to consider so many questions before making a choice for any specific team. for MSU here, maybe a matte finish would be better. lets look at the alternate though, where a satin finish IS a more appropriate choice. 

 

150320_Nike_Michigan_State_alt_3730_original-620x664.jpg.3aaac4e2841f3cee9e0f76126029ddc8.jpg

 

this bronze satin helmet works so well here, not because the finish matches that of the base jersey green but becasue it matches perfectly with the bronze twill trim in the rest of the uniform. this all leads to a really nice metallic armor feel throughout and makes it the most appropriate choice for this uniform

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, daveindc said:

 

 

Don't know why you're posting two random colleges when we already have relevant pics, but I'll respond with these matte helmets that aren't dirty like the one you posted so we can have a better comparison:

 

 

These look correct on sports uniforms. Perfect fit.

The patent leather look is cheap and tacky, and doesn't look right on athletic gear. This is what sports teams are now admitting. The look belongs on dress shoes, not sports uniforms: 

Two colleges with identical color schemes to provide a good comparison between matte and gloss, especially since they're full helmet treatments so it's easy to make a comparison between the two looks vs. the incredibly distracting bizarro world Jags helmets. 

 

Admitting what? Was somebody interrogating all sports teams about why they weren't using matte helmets, usually as a bad one-off? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2017 at 3:54 PM, Arby's. said:

 

 

I've been lurking on this site for years, this topic is the reason I joined. I agree 100% this is the best the jags have ever looked. This in my opinion would put the jags sets as one best looks in the league. Scrap the gold helmets and everything else and go back to traditional late 90s early 2000s look. To me the jags and dolphins are perfect candidates for going full throwback. 

 

 

Agree on both the Fins and Jags. The Bucs should have modernized the late 90s ones too, rather than go full "whatever" it turned out to be. Browns need full throwbacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Two colleges with identical color schemes to provide a good comparison between matte and gloss, especially since they're full helmet treatments so it's easy to make a comparison between the two looks vs. the incredibly distracting bizarro world Jags helmets. 

 

Admitting what? Was somebody interrogating all sports teams about why they weren't using matte helmets, usually as a bad one-off? 

 

Teams eventually admitting matte looks better and ditching the silly gloss look every year as more sports teams switch to matte over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, daveindc said:

 

Teams eventually admitting matte looks better and ditching the silly gloss look every year as more sports teams switch to matte over time.

By that logic, teams are finally admitting that chrome doesn't look tacky. Or that wordmarks down pants legs look classy. Or that Oversized logos on one side with numbers on the other is clever. If it weren't for the rules changing, teams would have been confessing that black numbers on black jerseys were cool and legible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

By that logic, teams are finally admitting that chrome doesn't look tacky. Or that wordmarks down pants legs look classy. Or that Oversized logos on one side with numbers on the other is clever. If it weren't for the rules changing, teams would have been confessing that black numbers on black jerseys were cool and legible. 

 

You're bringing up uniforms for college kids in a thread about an NFL team. I'm talking about professional sports teams. I only posted those college team pics in response to yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, daveindc said:

You're bringing up uniforms for college kids in a thread about an NFL team. I'm talking about professional sports teams. I only posted those college team pics in response to yours.

 

Your logic took a really weird turn here. I don't know how you can argue that matte is somehow a separate phenomenon from other crummy college trends when the matte explosion has obviously been at its most potent in college football, which is the actual reason why the pictures that you posted in your reply to him are all college teams wearing swaggy alts. The only professional teams that have adopted matte at all are the Jaguars (though only half of the way, for reasons that we'll never quite understand) and some MLB teams for their batting helmets. As far as those go, all I can say is that this look...

 

20160307pdPiratesSports07.jpg

 

...isn't exactly what I would call a winner, let alone something that is turning the sports aesthetic world on it's head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.