Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

3 hours ago, Gupti said:

Your logic took a really weird turn here. I don't know how you can argue that matte is somehow a separate phenomenon from other crummy college trends when the matte explosion has obviously been at its most potent in college football, which is the actual reason why the pictures that you posted in your reply to him are all college teams wearing swaggy alts. The only professional teams that have adopted matte at all are the Jaguars (though only half of the way, for reasons that we'll never quite understand) and some MLB teams for their batting helmets. As far as those go, all I can say is that this look...

20160307pdPiratesSports07.jpg

...isn't exactly what I would call a winner, let alone something that is turning the sports aesthetic world on it's head.

The only reason matte works in baseball is because the helmet is essentially another version of the cap.  A matte helmet somewhat resembles the material of a baseball cap, which makes it look appropriate.

It also approximates the flocking that was common when batting helmets first came into use.  That provides some historic precedent for non-gloss finishes on batting helmets, which is absent with football helmets.

14820584791_eaa17f93ab.jpg14636422720_0cd15bef7f_o.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best way to describe the 2009-2012 set would be "forgettable," both in theory and in practice. The design is so devoid, just like the roster that Gene Smith built over that time period. The nuking of gold made them feel so cold, so sterile. It didn't help that the Techfit predecessor template that some players started wearing royally screwed over what little design that they did feature. Those jerseys actually perfectly encapsulated the lack of character that the Jags had in that era. I can't believe that this actually became an NFL uniform, let alone as a follow up to what was worn before.

image.jpeg.e96b1cd52d2b3d02b2774d874df25dd2.jpeg

Love the helmet glitter, though.

11 hours ago, Gupti said:

Your logic took a really weird turn here. I don't know how you can argue that matte is somehow a separate phenomenon from other crummy college trends when the matte explosion has obviously been at its most potent in college football, which is the actual reason why the pictures that you posted in your reply to him are all college teams wearing swaggy alts. The only professional teams that have adopted matte at all are the Jaguars (though only half of the way, for reasons that we'll never quite understand) and some MLB teams for their batting helmets. As far as those go, all I can say is that this look...

...isn't exactly what I would call a winner, let alone something that is turning the sports aesthetic world on it's head.

How did that go 11 hours on this board without being challenged?   :lol:

dalvin-cook-vikings.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

10 hours ago, Gupti said:

20160307pdPiratesSports07.jpg

Why are dirty matte helmets keep being posted as if we don't already know how matte helmets really look? There's tons of matte helmets in MLB, and they're all winners:

I'm not going to waste time posting all the teams in MLB who've moved to matte helmets over the last several years just for you, but hopefully you'll finally get the gist. As far as the NFL, we can talk about matte vs satin, but don't act like teams aren't moving away from the gloss and more fans are calling for their teams to go matte:

7 hours ago, BlueSky said:

How did that go 11 hours on this board without being challenged?   :lol:

Skipped the Vikes because they're technically satin, which is a huge difference according to some.

7 hours ago, daveindc said:

Why are dirty matte helmets keep being posted as if we don't already know how matte helmets really look? There's tons of matte helmets in MLB, and they're all winners:

[abuncha pics]

I'm not going to waste time posting all the teams in MLB who've moved to matte helmets over the last several years just for you, but hopefully you'll finally get the gist. As far as the NFL, we can talk about matte vs satin, but don't act like teams aren't moving away from the gloss and more fans are calling for their teams to go matte:

I know that at least five MLB teams use matte batting helmets and that two NFL teams wear satin lids. My point still stands that a) I don't think that they look good, and b ) none of these teams are admitting anything about the ongoing state of helmet finishes except that they're interested in hopping onto trends in order to keep their uni game "fire" and Instagrammable, ESPECIALLY when it comes to football.

The only examples of alternative finishes in football that I think do look decent compared to a glossier option would be the satin for MSU and the Vikings, whose uniforms I really like. But even then I don't like how the shade of the VIkes' helmet is inconsistent with that of the jerseys. Whether that's a problem with the finish or not, it bugs me. Other than that, I do not think that there is any reason for alternative finishes to take over the NFL, especially not dusty matte black for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

1 hour ago, Teal said:

How legit is the source? I have a feeling we are getting our hopes up for no reason.

As I initially disclosed in the NFL Changes thread, the source was just a couple of Jags Twitter personalities who had heard it as a part of recent Everbank Field tours, which is enough to warrant skepticism, and why I balked at starting a new thread. However, I can't really think of any reason that these people would have to try to start false rumors (unlike past Reddit sources attempting to garner internet points), so it's worth speculation.

I feel like the Jags' helmets are so appalling that it's tricked us into thinking the rest of the set is fine. Not great or anything, but fine. In my mind, even pretending that the Jags used a regular, beautiful, glossy helmet I feel like they're a bottom 5 or so look in the league. 

35 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I feel like the Jags' helmets are so appalling that it's tricked us into thinking the rest of the set is fine. Not great or anything, but fine. In my mind, even pretending that the Jags used a regular, beautiful, glossy helmet I feel like they're a bottom 5 or so look in the league. 

You're not wrong ;)

They're still among the fugliest in football. "Appalling" sounds about right regarding those who have convinced themselves that any part of this works in the NFL.

42 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Easily a bottom 5 look in the league IMO even if you completely ignore the helmet -- down there with the Bucs, Cardinals, and Browns.

Jags look great aside from their helmet. I love the shield logo too.

If we're including satin helmets when discussing the matte trend (which we should because it's still a departure from the shiny gloss look), the Browns would be included as well. It's maybe the one thing they didn't massively :censored: up on the new set.

And using a picture of a dirty matte batting helmet is really silly when you consider how awful dirty helmets USED to look, too. 

17 hours ago, Gupti said:

As I initially disclosed in the NFL Changes thread, the source was just a couple of Jags Twitter personalities who had heard it as a part of recent Everbank Field tours, which is enough to warrant skepticism, and why I balked at starting a new thread. However, I can't really think of any reason that these people would have to try to start false rumors (unlike past Reddit sources attempting to garner internet points), so it's worth speculation.

ahh, they were on a tour eh? wonder if they bought tickets after that? 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I know Jaguars fans feel otherwise, and I guess you might call me the "OMG new anthracite jerseys r fire!!1!1" guy (which I'm not, by the way), but I think that Nike has done amazing on all of the new jerseys, with the only blemish being Cleveland (and IMO an update was needed - their previous uniforms were way too plain). Tampa Bay only needs to change the numbers (I actually really like the helmet), Jacksonville needs to change the helmet and NOTHING ELSE (well, except for changing the numbers on the teal jersey to white). IMO the Jags look is easily the best in team history from the neck down. Change the helmet to the old black/teal and add the updated logo and you're good for forever.

*ducks*

Well, I guess it's determined who gets voted off the island first, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ExJworW.png

Archived