2017 MLB Postseason Thread

Crabcake

8 hours ago, rickyISking said:

Good god, will you ever be pleased! If the Royals winning in 2015 didn't make your heart feel nice, then I have half a mind to call you the grinch.

Yeah, how could you not love seeing the dirtiest team in baseball that year win the World Series?  Total grinch.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, CS85 said:

Why such vitriol?  

I get it, the Yankees are a hateable team because they won 4 titles in the 90s and are historically one of sport's most successful franchises.  Yeah, the Cubs won last year so they inherit all the bandwagon hate and Red Sox-ian contempt, blah blah.

It's just such an unoriginal hatred is all.

Unoriginal? Try being in my shoes, man.

I'm a Mariners fan.. the last time they made the playoffs, they got bounced out by guess who? the freaking Evil Empire! I still believe to this day that MLB had a role in making sure the Mariners lost... yes, the truth is that they laid an egg, but my point is this. It's after 9/11... you think TV people wanted a Seattle-Arizona World Series or a New York-Arizona World Series that they can use to shove the idea of 'New York united after the attacks' down the collective throat of America? Hell, had the Yankees won, I think all of America would of had a barf attack that would make the Ipecac scene from Family Guy look tame.

With the Mariners being god awful, I went on to enjoy giving the Cubs and their fans crap for the constant failure... and now, that's gone. My Schadenfreude is gone because Cleveland can't finish the damn job! Doesn't surprise me that a choke job of that scale would come from a place where it's greatest export is sadness.

Now, both teams are in the Championship Series. I hope both teams get embarrassed so badly that the fan bases and the bandwagons go under the largest rock ever made and stays there for the rest of freaking eternity!!

Was that the same Mariners team that set the MLB win record? 

God damn that was a great team! 

I always wished Nintendo could have brought a World Series to Seattle. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

16 minutes ago, ozzyman314 said:

Was that the same Mariners team that set the MLB win record? 

God damn that was a great team! 

I always wished Nintendo could have brought a World Series to Seattle. 

Yes, 116 wins. Two more than the ‘98 Yanks. 

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

I'm a Mariners fan.. the last time they made the playoffs, they got bounced out by guess who? the freaking Evil Empire! I still believe to this day that MLB had a role in making sure the Mariners lost... yes, the truth is that they laid an egg, but my point is this. It's after 9/11... you think TV people wanted a Seattle-Arizona World Series or a New York-Arizona World Series that they can use to shove the idea of 'New York united after the attacks' down the collective throat of America? Hell, had the Yankees won, I think all of America would of had a barf attack that would make the Ipecac scene from Family Guy look tame.

All of this might be slightly more believable if the Mariners didn't blow chunks in that series. If MLB had any designs to throw the series New York's way? They quickly abandoned them when it became clear the Mariners would do it for them.

So if the Yanks made the ‘01 WS because of 9/11, does this mean the Astros will make the ‘17 WS because of Harvey? My wager is no, the Astros will get there because they are the better team. (Just like the Yanks had more playoff experience in 2001 than the Mariners did). 

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Unoriginal? Try being in my shoes, man.

With the Mariners being god awful, I went on to enjoy giving the Cubs and their fans crap for the constant failure... and now, that's gone. My Schadenfreude is gone because Cleveland can't finish the damn job! Doesn't surprise me that a choke job of that scale would come from a place where it's greatest export is sadness.

Now, both teams are in the Championship Series. I hope both teams get embarrassed so badly that the fan bases and the bandwagons go under the largest rock ever made and stays there for the rest of freaking eternity!!

I hate NY(AL) as much as anyone, but there was no way the 2001 ALCS was rigged.

Now the 2000 World Series, on the other hand, was totally rigged.

Quick thoughts:

1) Verlander tossed a GEM. Great complete game.

2) I find myself really wanting the Dodgers to clinch the pennant simply so Kershaw can finally say he pitched in (and possibly won) a World Series. He’s working on building an all-time great resume, and a World Series is really all that’s missing. The baseball history lover in me wants to see the potential Koufax of this generation start fulfilling that potential on the postseason end.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 hours ago, The Six said:

Puig will hit two home runs off Verlander when they meet in the World Series.

Hah, that'd be great. But the Dodgers still have to get through the Cubs.

Good game by the Dodgers tonight. When Kersh gave up the two-run homer, I figured that was it, it's gonna be 2016 (and 2013, and 2009, and 2008) all over again. Didn't help the offense didn't seem to be waking up. But then it did. When Jansen came out with a three-run lead, I felt pretty confident Dodgers would take Game 1.

Hoping they can keep things rolling tomorrow. But Lester is really good, and the Cubs haven't even brought out Arietta yet. Dodgers still need to win tomorrow to have a chance, I think. Do not want to go to Wrigley with the Cubs having the momentum.

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Quick thoughts:

1) Verlander tossed a GEM. Great complete game.

2) I find myself really wanting the Dodgers to clinch the pennant simply so Kershaw can finally say he pitched in (and possibly won) a World Series. He’s working on building an all-time great resume, and a World Series is really all that’s missing. The baseball history lover in me wants to see the potential Koufax of this generation start fulfilling that potential on the postseason end.

I agree with both of these.

But tonight once again demonstrated Kershaw just has some kind of mental lapse come the playoffs. While he wasn't terrible tonight, even including the homer, he was throwing a lot of balls, and that usual slider wasn't there. This was definitely a game the Dodgers won only because their offense finally pulled through for Kershaw. If the Dodgers want to beat the Cubs, Kershaw has to have a great game, and tonight wasn't it. It was "good enough," but that's not enough to defeat the defending NL champs.

13 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

I hope the Astros win the ALCS not just because I don't want to see the Yankees in the World Series again, but because it'd make them the only team in baseball history to win both pennants.

And (not sure if this was mentioned before), if they lose to the Cubs, then they will be the first and only team in history to lose to both Chicago teams in the World Series.

ExJworW.png

Archived