2017 MLB Postseason Thread

Crabcake

The Astros getting moved to the American League still steams my clams. It was fine when the Brewers moved because Milwaukee was in the National League before and the Brewers weren't in the AL as long as the Astros were in the NL. Baseball teams shouldn't move and shouldn't switch leagues.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, the admiral said:

The Astros getting moved to the American League still steams my clams. It was fine when the Brewers moved because Milwaukee was in the National League before and the Brewers weren't in the AL as long as the Astros were in the NL. Baseball teams shouldn't move and shouldn't switch leagues.

I'm still confounded as to why MLB didn't just place both the Diamondbacks and the Rays in the NL (or the AL, whichever), just like every other expansion in baseball history. I can see if they didn't want to dilute the NL too much with four expansion teams in five years, but it was still an absurdly roundabout way of getting to 16 NL teams. And they could've just as easily put both teams in the AL and make that the 16 team league, unless AL owners objected to that more strongly than NL owners (which i find doubtful).

I still do suspect that offering the AL-to-NL switch to the Twins first was just a rouse, and that Selig's Brewers were always earmarked for that move. That would be the most reasonable explanation to the league switch, rather than the much more straightforward NL- or AL-only expansion.

It was the Royals, not the Twins. It was a very Midwestern gavotte of offering something you know won't really be accepted to someone who knows it's not really being offered. No, you go ahead and have the last piece, really, I mean it.

I thought the whole Britton debacle in last year’s AL Wild Card game was going to put an end to this dumb “save the closer for the save” idea. Maddon chose the pitcher who gave up the most home runs in the NL this year over one of the best closers in the game and guess what, he gave up a walk off homer. The Cubs deserved that loss.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I was perfectly up for a Dodgers win.  Then tonight when Puig walked in the night I found out their home run sound was airhorns.  I'm rethinking everything.

On 10/12/2017 at 12:00 AM, ozzyman314 said:

I honestly like Chief Wahoo. :censored: the thin skinned children that don't understand what a caricature is. 

Plus that typeface "C" is so bland & boring. 

On 10/12/2017 at 12:03 AM, the admiral said:

POSTER TO WATCH IN 2017

No one tell him there's a Uniform thread!

On 10/13/2017 at 8:32 AM, rickyISking said:

Good god, will you ever be pleased! If the Royals winning in 2015 didn't make your heart feel nice, then I have half a mind to call you the grinch.

Or a Mets fan.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:03 PM, Seadragon76 said:

Unoriginal? Try being in my shoes, man.

I'm a Mariners fan.. the last time they made the playoffs, they got bounced out by guess who? the freaking Evil Empire! I still believe to this day that MLB had a role in making sure the Mariners lost... yes, the truth is that they laid an egg, but my point is this. It's after 9/11... you think TV people wanted a Seattle-Arizona World Series or a New York-Arizona World Series that they can use to shove the idea of 'New York united after the attacks' down the collective throat of America? Hell, had the Yankees won, I think all of America would of had a barf attack that would make the Ipecac scene from Family Guy look tame.

With the Mariners being god awful, I went on to enjoy giving the Cubs and their fans crap for the constant failure... and now, that's gone. My Schadenfreude is gone because Cleveland can't finish the damn job! Doesn't surprise me that a choke job of that scale would come from a place where it's greatest export is sadness.

Now, both teams are in the Championship Series. I hope both teams get embarrassed so badly that the fan bases and the bandwagons go under the largest rock ever made and stays there for the rest of freaking eternity!!

Weren't you the guys who were the reason our long-suffering legend who played through the worst period in team history only to make the playoffs in his final years didn't get his chance at the World Series?

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

11 hours ago, kroywen said:

I'm still confounded as to why MLB didn't just place both the Diamondbacks and the Rays in the NL (or the AL, whichever), just like every other expansion in baseball history. I can see if they didn't want to dilute the NL too much with four expansion teams in five years, but it was still an absurdly roundabout way of getting to 16 NL teams. And they could've just as easily put both teams in the AL and make that the 16 team league, unless AL owners objected to that more strongly than NL owners (which i find doubtful).

I still do suspect that offering the AL-to-NL switch to the Twins first was just a rouse, and that Selig's Brewers were always earmarked for that move. That would be the most reasonable explanation to the league switch, rather than the much more straightforward NL- or AL-only expansion.

I'd remember hearing stories of Chicago transplants and local NL teams doing Spring Training or having Minor League teams there, but looking it up apparently five AL teams protested having to schedule "more games outside their time zone".  Dunno who they'd be, but while Colorado was already in Mountain Time while Arizona would be the first ones in the AL.

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Weren't you the guys who were the reason our long-suffering legend who played through the worst period in team history only to make the playoffs in his final years didn't get his chance at the World Series?

There's a key difference here. The Yankees had won 22 championships up to that point, while that was the Mariners' first playoff appearance. It's hard to feel sympathy for the Yankees in that scenario, even with Mattingly. Sometimes, franchise legends miss out on the "championship legacy" that surrounded their tenure.

20 hours ago, kroywen said:

The AL and NL were still legally separate entities at the time of the 1998 expansion.  It wasn't about talent dilution concerns, it was about giving both leagues a cut of that sweet, sweet expansion cash.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I woke up this morning and remembered that John Lackey gave up a walkoff home run last night and then started laughing. I don't think there's a guy in baseball I dislike more. 

Like, in the league now, or period?  I had a long list before I thought of that.  A lot of the hated guys are out of the game now, huh?

Is Braun still playing?

spacer.png

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Like, in the league now, or period?  I had a long list before I thought of that.  A lot of the hated guys are out of the game now, huh?

Is Braun still playing?

Right now and yeah Braun is still playing. 

I really hated some of those 04-14 St Louis Cardinals that are since retired. Never liked Curt Schilling even before I knew he was a racist lunatic. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, The Six said:

LOL that people are still doubting the Dodgers. 

I’m a fan of the Dodgers, but until they’ve won two more and beaten the defending champs, they haven’t done anything yet. 

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I really hated some of those 04-14 St Louis Cardinals that are since retired.

Remember when Jim Edmonds would wear an undershirt with the bottom half cut off and everyone called him gay? Simpler times when that was his worst fashion crime:

8465482_jim-edmonds-wants-america-to-be-

Gettin' real hard to be a Cardinals fan right now.  Just hoping they don't win a World Series for a few years.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived