Going Full Yankee: An MLB Series

colinturner95

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For already-pinstriped teams, I'd actually take it in a slightly different direction - keep the pinstripes on their home uniform (since that is the Yankee hallmark), but use a chest logo rather than a wordmark. So, for the Phillies, use the cap logo "P" on the left breast, rather than the Phillies wordmark across the chest.

Under this logic, three teams already have uniforms that are almost fully "Yankee-fied" - the Yankees (of course), the Cubs, and the White Sox (minus the front numbers). Though with the Cubs, if you truly want to go "Full Yankee," just put the "C" cap logo on the chest, rather than the full Cubs logo.

Of course, this would create the jarring image of a Mets home jersey with their interlocking NY on the chest, which for us Yankee fans is probably worth the price of admission alone. ;) 

3 hours ago, kroywen said:

For already-pinstriped teams, I'd actually take it in a slightly different direction - keep the pinstripes on their home uniform (since that is the Yankee hallmark), but use a chest logo rather than a wordmark. So, for the Phillies, use the cap logo "P" on the left breast, rather than the Phillies wordmark across the chest.

Under this logic, three teams already have uniforms that are almost fully "Yankee-fied" - the Yankees (of course), the Cubs, and the White Sox (minus the front numbers). Though with the Cubs, if you truly want to go "Full Yankee," just put the "C" cap logo on the chest, rather than the full Cubs logo.

Of course, this would create the jarring image of a Mets home jersey with their interlocking NY on the chest, which for us Yankee fans is probably worth the price of admission alone. ;) 

I had thought of going this route, but I thought it wasn't "enough", because it would result in just rehashing a current away uniform: 

4n4LCLy.png 

So here's the first of the new options, which results in a more closely Yankee'd uniform. 

DIukWUw.png

Or option 2, which results in a lot more pinstripes! :D

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I really like that top option as well. The Phillies' road uniform is about as close as you can get to the Yankees' road uniform as-is, so it makes sense that it would be virtually unchanged. They're the only two uniforms in the majors that use the (extremely dated) three-stripe armholes.

One change you can make to differentiate the updated Phils' road uniform from their existing road? Switch the armholes to red/white/red, rather than white/red/white. That would be in line with the Yankees' road uniforms:

ff_1939192_xl.jpg&w=340 versus 1cfe375c7852d1ed2bbfdaa1dfa988b1--baseba

7 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I really like that top option as well. The Phillies' road uniform is about as close as you can get to the Yankees' road uniform as-is, so it makes sense that it would be virtually unchanged. They're the only two uniforms in the majors that use the (extremely dated) three-stripe armholes.

One change you can make to differentiate the updated Phils' road uniform from their existing road? Switch the armholes to red/white/red, rather than white/red/white. That would be in line with the Yankees' road uniforms:

ff_1939192_xl.jpg&w=340 versus 1cfe375c7852d1ed2bbfdaa1dfa988b1--baseba

xMgq1kN.png

Say no more. Don't know how I missed that

AmPJ0Ty.png 

There's a lot of potential to mine different teams' logo histories for ideas to come up with some really cool designs. For example. you could put the Brewers ball-in-glove logo or current "M" logo (yuck) on their home uniform, or you could use their interlocking "MB" logo from the '90s, which I think would be a lot more interesting. I'm also curious to see what you'll do for Detroit, as their home uniform with added pinstripes would be dangerously close to the Yankees' home set, unless you went a little out there and did something like make the "D" orange. 

57 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

If you want to make the road unis truly Yankee-fied, shouldn't the sleeve stripes be at the very edge of the sleeve? 

Yes it should. I'll make sure to do that going forward. 

bggRU7X.png

Here we have San Fran. A fair amount of changes actually went into this one. Home uni is cream with black pinstripes. Interlocking SF on the chest, kept the Giants baseball club logo on the sleeves on both jerseys. On the road greys, I used the arced San Francisco and flipped the sleeve trim colors to match the Yankees style (darker color on the outside). Beyond that, there isn't much to it. 

Let me know what you guys think!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Our first foray into the AL begins in Cleveland: 

K88bYNh.png

The Indians could have really looked like the Yankees if I flipped the block C to navy. However in the interest of individuality, I chose to match the name/number color scheme on both the home and the roads. I also used the simpler single color stripe that the Indians use as trim on the current road greys. Kept the stripes on the navy socks. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Very cool! A really solid, classy design.

Just curious, for teams who currently use script road wordmarks but have used block wordmarks in the past, such as the Royals, Twins and Reds, will you be keeping their current scripts or adopting past block wordmarks? I ask because scripts aren't very Yankee-ish. 

On 10/13/2017 at 1:13 PM, Paul Lucas said:

Well done, I think a blue/red/blue sleeve piping would look great too.

I'm enjoying this series, who's next?

That'd be the Texas Rangers: 

wfFnCUj.png

So far this might be the least Yankified team of all them so far. I contemplated taking the white out on the road uniform, and I might go back and do that anyways. But anyways, used the drop shadow T from the hats on the home uniform and kept the same TEXAS wordmark for the road. Beyond that, I think I said it all 

C&C welcome!

On 10/11/2017 at 2:24 PM, coco1997 said:

Very cool! A really solid, classy design.

Just curious, for teams who currently use script road wordmarks but have used block wordmarks in the past, such as the Royals, Twins and Reds, will you be keeping their current scripts or adopting past block wordmarks? I ask because scripts aren't very Yankee-ish. 

I'm playing it team by team. I'm trying to be as individual for each team as possible while working inside the Yankees mold. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

34 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I would try removing the white outlines on the numbers and "TEXAS" wordmark if possible. That aside, another great update!

That would be a good option, you could also add white to the stripes on the road to match the numbers/wordmark. 

Mo1dEGL.png

Tampa Bay's identity could be so much better. If they had a better balance of navy and light blue, they'd look ten times better IMO. However that is not the discussion we're having here. Nope, now we're gonna see how the Yankees treatment hits them. Rather than navy pinstripes, I went light blue, thinking that it would be more unique. Also went with light blue socks and shoes for the unique factor. Same with the away sleeve stripes, where I tried to work in some yellow. 

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived