R.I.P Y.A. Tittle

leopard88

Hall of Fame quarterback and 1963 NFL MVP, but probably best known for this photo.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/09/y-a-tittle-ex-49ers-quarterback-and-nfl-hall-of-famer-dies-at-90/

big-hits-football.jpg?w=866

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

6 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Hall of Fame quarterback and 1963 NFL MVP, but probably best known for this photo.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/09/y-a-tittle-ex-49ers-quarterback-and-nfl-hall-of-famer-dies-at-90/

big-hits-football.jpg?w=866

that photo is in the lobby of the National Press Photographers Association headquarters (along side the Iwo Jima flag raisers photo and the Hindenburg disaster photo)

so long and thanks for all the fish.

I'm also reminded of this picture . . . 

2595507926_2b5201c7ea_b.jpg

. . . from this book, which I received for Christmas when I was 8 or 9 and read over and over again.

2594678147_86bec547cb_m.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Yelberton Abraham Tittle, one of the all-time best sports names, and the 49ers' first legitimate star. 90 was a damn good run. RIP. Retired in 1964 as the NFL's all-time leader in passing yards, passing touchdowns, attempts, completions, and games played - but wasn't elected to the HOF until 1971. Can you imagine that happening today?!

To make it site-relevant, here's another good picture:

tittle%20007.jpg

...clear facemask, obviously - but what the heck is that handle on the side for?!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

34 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

...clear facemask, obviously - but what the heck is that handle on the side for?!

That's a funny little quirk during the evolution of football equipment.  My gut reaction was so he could carry it, but the facemask would serve that well...but what else could it be?  Seems like a bad idea since it's another thing for a defensive player to grab...and back then the only penalty was Murder 1.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The article that accompanied the sketch I posted earlier explains it.

Going from memory (since I read it so many times), it was extra protection because he had fractured his jaw shortly before the picture was taken.

Helmet Hut confirms my memory.

http://www.helmethut.com/49ers/Tittle49er.html

In 1954 the trainer for the Forty Niners was counted on to keep Y. A. Tittle in the lineup after the legendary quarterback suffered a severely broken jaw against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The trainer modified Tittle's standard Riddell "RK" helmet by adding interior padding, a custom fabricated handle type stabilizer bracket and the Riddell clear Lucite face mask.

We also have Y.A. Tittle to thank (at least in part) for the sports term "Alley Oop."

This article explains the play, but doesn't specify who came up with the name.  I've seen it credited to Tittle in many articles.

http://profootballresearchers.com/archives/Website_Files/Coffin_Corner/09-09-318.pdf

I distinctly remember my dad telling me about the Alley Oop when I was a wee lad . . . back in the early 70s.

Archived