NFL Throwback Thursdays

JamieRose

Last year I saw a post on Uni-Watch bringing up the idea of replacing the NFL Color Rash with Throwback Thursdays.  The only issue with it is that the one-helmet rule kind of threw a wrench in some of the throwbacks, making it unfortunately unrealistic.

For this, I set myself 2 basic rules:

1. Must use the same helmets as usual
  2. Throwbacks should be roughly from the same time period for each game (~10 years or so)

For a few teams I ended up making fauxback uniforms, one of which is right here--

So with that I have week 1 - Kansas City (1963) @ New England (1960)

y1fquHs.png

5GT0GzV.png

I have the rest of the teams planned out, and hopefully the combos will work!

TDZiMMB.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WissX said:

Now how about the packers? because for the most part the past 70 years is for the most part similar. Will you do what the packers wear for throwback normally?

Their TNF game was vs Chicago, I'm sure you can go full 30's with that, or something.

3 hours ago, Paco0454 said:

Their TNF game was vs Chicago, I'm sure you can go full 30's with that, or something.

Now that's a blast from the past.  But the Pack mess around a lot with fauxbacks...

green-bay-packers-throwback-jerseys-head

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

I like the take on the patriots helmet, its not one I've seen in awhile. My only complaint is the Pats did start wearing blue until the 90s. Though it would be weird for the Pats to wear red vs the Chiefs.

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

7 hours ago, JimmyN64 said:

Week 2 - Houston (1952 Dallas Texans) @ Cincinnati (1968)

Took some liberties with the Texans design since they only lasted one season.

RC0c18y.png

abAukEM.png

Gives off a very Raiders vibe...

I've been working on this same project for quite some time now, except I threw out all helmet rules in mine. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to dedicate to it fully and haven't posted anything. Glad to see something like this come to life. The color rush unis in my opinion are mostly hideous and this would be ideal. It would appeal to a broad audience and I can guarantee NFL would sell jerseys like hotcakes. 

As for your work so far, great job. Love the take on the Patriots. Not a fan of the Bengals though. I know this is a classic throwback look, but it's too Cleveland Brown-ish for me. Just a personal preference. That aside, the presentation is stellar. Rams - by far the best. As for San Fran, I'd slap a logo on that helmet. Overall great stuff here.

19 hours ago, Paco0454 said:

It kinda has to...

I would've gone full white, but in my opinion he made a great job

IMG_2116.PNG

Oh...it's navy blue.  Now I feel like a stupid head.

Archived