AFL to NHL Crossover (Giants alt posted 12/28) (C&C wanted)

NoE38_Concepts

So this is the series I mentioned about in my new look NHL, which now will be going on alongside this series, the AFL-NHL crossover!

Australian Rules Football is an amazing sport that I wish had more of a global presence, especially here in Canada. For you folks who don't know what this sport is, here you go. I discovered it two years ago, and am now a proud supporter of the Western Australian teams.

This idea came to mind when the folks at HJC started the AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League) redesign. I'd been wanting to do another crossover series, and everything just clicked.

Adelaide Crows (alt)

Brisbane Lions

Carlton Blues

Collingwood Magpies

Essendon Bombers

Fremantle Dockers (alt)

Geelong Cats (alt)

Gold Coast Suns

GWS Giants (alt)

Hawthorn Hawks

Melbourne Demons

North Melbourne Kangaroos

Port Adelaide Power

Richmond Tigers

St Kilda Saints

Sydney Swans

West Coast Eagles (update)

Western Bulldogs

I will be starting off with the two recent grand finalists, Richmond and Adelaide, then going down the ladder (standings). So without further ado, here we go!

First off are the newly crowned premiers after 37 years, the Richmond Tigers. The team's jumpers (uniforms) are black with a yellow sash, so I turned it into a chest stripe to fit in with other hockey jerseys. The aways are yellow as a tribute to the jumpers the tigers won the premiership in. The sock stripes are inspired by the team's past home jumpers. The numbers are white like they are on the club's jumpers.

t5akt1b.png

C&C appreciated!

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to AFL to NHL Crossover (Richmond posted 10/10)
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there's no feedback, here's the other grand finalist, the  Adelaide Crows.

First off, The crows have a horrible logo, If I could actually make a logo, I would put another one on this set.

The crows' jumpers are one of my favourites in the AFL. The colours are appealing, and the pattern makes it pop. I tried to incorporate that pattern as much as possible on the hem, arms, socks, colours, and pants. Not much else to it really.

3vRRoaZ.png

C&C welcome.

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to AFL to NHL Crossover (Adelaide posted 10/12)

This is definitely a great start to what is sure to be a great series. I also got into Aussie Rules about two years ago and became a Crows fan (sucks that they lost to Richmond, though). Both teams look great and I agree with @ldconcepts in making the stripes on Richmond's socks the same for each set.

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

On 10/12/2017 at 8:48 PM, ldconcepts said:

Both look great! For practicality purposes, I’d keeps Richmond’s socks the same on both sets.

On 10/12/2017 at 10:06 PM, willmoen said:

This is definitely a great start to what is sure to be a great series. I also got into Aussie Rules about two years ago and became a Crows fan (sucks that they lost to Richmond, though). Both teams look great and I agree with @ldconcepts in making the stripes on Richmond's socks the same for each set.

Updated the OP with the new socks. Now that I think about it, that would be a lot more practical than what I originally had. Thanks for the input.

Here's the highest finishing non-grand finalist, the Geelong Cats. For those of you who don't know, The cats are one of the oldest sports clubs in the world, founded 158 years ago, in 1859. Because of their longevity, I tried to make this set as traditional as possible. I took the two white stripes from the logo and used them as sleeve and sock stripes. the hems are filled in to distinguish them from other concepts I've done, and from NHL teams such as the Maple Leafs and Lightning.

EdeFUQ4.png

C&C welcome.

Next up: Anyone hear a sound from the west?

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to AFL to NHL Crossover (Geelong posted 10/15)

Well there's a big big sound... (Okay, I'll stop)

Up next is the GWS Giants, the AFL's newest and of their most promising teams, founded in 2009 and participating in their first season in 2012. It was a no-brainer to go with a modern design for this one, which popped into my head one day. consists of two stripes with a smaller one of the bottom of each. Made the font charcoal on the away to improve color balance.

LHeufeH.png

C&C welcome.

Next up: They've got the power to win.

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to AFL to NHL Crossover (GWS posted 10/18)

As an Australian, all of the AFL's jerseys are firmly ingraned in my memory. These concepts all look really good and retain plenty of the teams' indentities.

I especially like the Crows set (I'm from Adelaide, so naturally I'm a fan) and Geelong. I like the use of the cat from their secondary logo on the shoulders, it really adds to the classic feel. GWS seems to be missing something, and I'm not sure on the grey on top white on the bottom striping pattern on the orange jersey. The white one however looks really great. 

I'm interested to see what you do with the vertical stripe teams (Collingwood, North Melbourne and Hawthorn) considering those jerseys are a big part of the those team's identities. Are you going to to alternates at any point for this series? If so, I have plenty of ideas and I even have one in mind for the next team...

I9SoMSI.png

29308567630_9f30c1e63c_o.png

chi2.png

40136204761_246372f921_c.jpg 

4 hours ago, Melody22B said:

As an Australian, all of the AFL's jerseys are firmly ingraned in my memory. These concepts all look really good and retain plenty of the teams' indentities.

I especially like the Crows set (I'm from Adelaide, so naturally I'm a fan) and Geelong. I like the use of the cat from their secondary logo on the shoulders, it really adds to the classic feel. GWS seems to be missing something, and I'm not sure on the grey on top white on the bottom striping pattern on the orange jersey. The white one however looks really great. 

I'm interested to see what you do with the vertical stripe teams (Collingwood, North Melbourne and Hawthorn) considering those jerseys are a big part of the those team's identities. Are you going to to alternates at any point for this series? If so, I have plenty of ideas and I even have one in mind for the next team...

I chose do have more charcoal because it's more prominent of the Giants' jerseys, but i'll experiment with more white. As for alternates, I was planning on doing some once I finish, and I'd love to hear your ideas.

2 hours ago, Spanna65 said:

As an Aussie I love seeing AFL concepts on this board. Great stuff so far.

Go West Coast!

Thanks and Go West Coast!

spacer.png

1 hour ago, NoE38 said:

I chose do have more charcoal because it's more prominent of the Giants' jerseys, but i'll experiment with more white. As for alternates, I was planning on doing some once I finish, and I'd love to hear your ideas.

Thanks and Go West Coast!

Yeah that is true. Would you like me to send you a pm with some of my ideas? Or post them here in the thread?

I9SoMSI.png

29308567630_9f30c1e63c_o.png

chi2.png

40136204761_246372f921_c.jpg 

Next up we have the Port Adelaide Power. They are unique in the AFL because they were founded in 1870 as part of the SANFL (South Australia), but joined the AFL in 1997. Their SANFL side is one of the most successful in Australia, with 36 premiers, and the AFL side has tried to honour them whenever they can. The power are the only AFL team with teal, so I made it the base colour. The set features sleeve-length yokes featuring 6 stripes, the amount on Port's SANFL jumpers. The sleeves are cluttered, so I used shoulder numbers.

vWZ8UlR.png

C&C Welcome:

Next up: Lift that noble banner high.

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to AFL to NHL Crossover (Port Adelaide posted 10/21)

Next up are the Sydney Swans, the AFL's first team based outside of the state of Victoria. The club was established as the South Melbourne Football Club, but relocated to Sydney due to financial problems. The swans display the Sydney Opera house prominently on both their logo and jumpers, so incorporating in on this set was my main goal. The striping pattern on the hem and socks is two thick stripes close together. The pattern differs on the arms, so that the upper stripe can contain a silhouette of the opera house.

GmDpJV3.png

Any C&C welcome.

Up Next: From doping scandal to a finals spot.

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to AFL to NHL Crossover (Sydney posted 10/25)

If there isn't any more C&C, here's the Essendon Bombers.

The Bombers, or Dons, are like the Habs of the AFL, tied for the most premierships, they haven't won a premiership in 17 years, have a wide following, and have high expectations each year but fall short. The club reached an all time low in 2016, when 33 current and former players were charged for doping. Determined to start a new chapter, they managed to gets into the finals this season but were eliminated by Sydney in the first round.

The Dons, just like Richmond, wear sashes on their jumpers, and since they've worn them for longer, I gave them priority to don the sash. To distance them from Richmond's jerseys, I took the grey they've worn on a few jumpers, and put it between the black and red. The away is red since just like in the AFL.

dTIANcm.png

C&C welcome.

Up Next: Roughly a 3500 km drive.

spacer.png

• NoE38_Concepts changed the title to AFL to NHL Crossover (Essendon posted 10/28) (C&C wanted)

Thanks for the C&C guys, glad to hear you liked Essendon.

Next up is one of my favourite teams, the West Coast Eagles.

After discovering Aussie Rules Football, I found out one of my uncles has relatives that live in Perth, so I decided to barrack for both their teams, the Eagles, and the Fremantle Dockers, who will be shown later on.

The Eagles have a unique but sleek wing design on their jumpers, so I based this design on the wings. The set is based around a sleeve-length yoke, which converges into a wing-like design. The hem is curved to match the yoke. (Side Note: The black line near the cuffs is not a stripe, it's just a template line)

xGoRu1o.png

C&C appreciated!

Next up: Keep your eye on the red and the blue.

spacer.png

Archived