Jump to content

I miss "Authentic jerseys"


joekono
 Share

Recommended Posts

I remember a few years ago when the bucs would wear their throwback unis, they were so accurate, they had heat pressed or whatever numbers. When I bought an authentic and another one a few years later, they both came with twill numbers. Curiosity got me so I called the nfl shop. The customer service rep basically told me they made the retail authentic jerseys like that because without the twill they couldn’t justify the price. Now it seems it’s quite the opposite in today’s jerseys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jerseyjunk said:

No, you can also buy the authentic NBA jerseys and shorts.....those with ad patches can only be bought from team stores where they play  though.

 

 

That would be new - before Nike the authentics were high-quality replicas.  And all came with the manufacturer’s logo, which wasn’t worn on the court. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

That would be new - before Nike the authentics were high-quality replicas.  And all came with the manufacturer’s logo, which wasn’t worn on the court. 

Not the REV30 jerseys and shorts, those were available for purchase, albeit the jerseys were limited 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2017 at 12:03 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

*the royal "you" directed at participants in this thread, not you in particular, Gothamite.

You've been holding out on us, Niner.  I never would've guessed you were some expatriate royal :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2017 at 5:49 PM, hormone said:

I remember a few years ago when the bucs would wear their throwback unis, they were so accurate, they had heat pressed or whatever numbers. When I bought an authentic and another one a few years later, they both came with twill numbers. Curiosity got me so I called the nfl shop. The customer service rep basically told me they made the retail authentic jerseys like that because without the twill they couldn’t justify the price. Now it seems it’s quite the opposite in today’s jerseys.

The Buccaneers have worn sewn on numbers though. But for the year they are supposed to represent they didn't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/20/2017 at 2:09 AM, jerseyjunk said:

Not the REV30 jerseys and shorts, those were available for purchase, albeit the jerseys were limited 

IIRC the Rev 30s were available but the numbers were not the same. They had sublimated mesh on them to make them better suited for autographs. 

I saw some jerseys in person this weekend, and they are indeed very very light and thin. 

FWIW i fall in the middle of "love the look and feel of old school jerseys" and "appreciate the new technology"

I know a lot of people think the terrible fake jerseys are "authentic" and "legit" bc they have tackle twill numbers...despite looking really bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

IIRC the Rev 30s were available but the numbers were not the same. They had sublimated mesh on them to make them better suited for autographs. 

I saw some jerseys in person this weekend, and they are indeed very very light and thin. 

FWIW i fall in the middle of "love the look and feel of old school jerseys" and "appreciate the new technology"

I know a lot of people think the terrible fake jerseys are "authentic" and "legit" bc they have tackle twill numbers...despite looking really bad. 

Correct, if you wanted the real numbers, you had to get those limited edition jerseys that came in a cardboard box, those was made preseason,  i have some  Kobe´s and Miami  Lebrons 

.

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=52784469

 

nwt-adidas-rev30-boxed-authentic-jersey-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess it depends on what you consider an authentic when it comes to NFL jerseys now a days. Back in 2004 I interned with the Oakland Raiders. While there I purchased an "authentic" Jerry Rice jersey, to have him autograph, and a game worn authentic jersey of a skill player to go along with all of my game worn jerseys of teams I have worked for (jersey is framed at my parents so I can't recall his name at the moment). Anyways I am 5'8" and roughly 190lbs and the game worn jersey is so tight on me and extra long that it would be uncomfortable to wear as a jersey out and about, I should have bought a QB's jersey so it  laid a little nicer in the frame. Oakland, like I am sure all NFL teams have, have a tailor that comes in and will alter the players jersey to their specifications. So I would say that well over half of the jerseys you see on the field would be terrible authentics to own and wear. So basically to own a NFL authentic jersey you can plan on getting the official lettering/numbering, logos, and fabric but not the on field cut. Next time i am at my parents I will have to get the jersey and take pictures comparing on field authentic vs store bought authentic. Only down side is I think there is some paint on one sleeve because I set it on a table and didn't see that my wife had a can of paint open. Luckily you can't see it in the frame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2017 at 11:56 AM, insert name said:

So are baseball uniforms the only true authentic uniforms you can get? 

 

No, you can also buy authentic soccer uniforms. I believe Nike's Vapor Match and Adidas' adizero are the exact same as on-field. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dhamen0420 said:

I guess it depends on what you consider an authentic when it comes to NFL jerseys now a days. Back in 2004 I interned with the Oakland Raiders. While there I purchased an "authentic" Jerry Rice jersey, to have him autograph, and a game worn authentic jersey of a skill player to go along with all of my game worn jerseys of teams I have worked for (jersey is framed at my parents so I can't recall his name at the moment). Anyways I am 5'8" and roughly 190lbs and the game worn jersey is so tight on me and extra long that it would be uncomfortable to wear as a jersey out and about, I should have bought a QB's jersey so it  laid a little nicer in the frame. Oakland, like I am sure all NFL teams have, have a tailor that comes in and will alter the players jersey to their specifications. So I would say that well over half of the jerseys you see on the field would be terrible authentics to own and wear. So basically to own a NFL authentic jersey you can plan on getting the official lettering/numbering, logos, and fabric but not the on field cut. Next time i am at my parents I will have to get the jersey and take pictures comparing on field authentic vs store bought authentic. Only down side is I think there is some paint on one sleeve because I set it on a table and didn't see that my wife had a can of paint open. Luckily you can't see it in the frame.

 

NFL game jerseys tend to be extremely tight around the stomach (because players tend to want a tight fit), loose in the shoulders (y'know, shoulder pads and such), and very long (to tuck in the pants) or very short (with elastic around the bottom hem).

 

This has been the case for a very long time. Off the top of my head, I know that HOF defensive end Bruce Smith wore a size 42 jersey for most of his career:

 

Bills-Bruce-Smith-Football-990x1254.jpeg

 

See how tight it is around the numbers and chest? Bruce Smith is listed at 6'4" 265. I'm 5'11" 170 and wear a size 40-42 suit jacket and prefer a size 44 jersey. Some players smaller than Bruce obviously wore smaller jerseys - I have a 2002 game-worn 49ers jersey of DB Jason Webster (5'9" 187) that is a size 40 (it's barely big enough for me to fit in - a few beers and some nachos and it feels uncomfortable). I've seen NFL gamers in a size 38 (possibly even 36) but I can't recall any specific players.

 

To put this into perspective, the current smallest size Nike makes retail NFL "authentics" in is a 40 (roughly equivalent to a men's small, but again, a retail "authentic" 40 isn't the same as a game-worn or game-issued 40). Some early Russell NFL authentic jerseys (late 80s-early 90s) mimic this cut - personally, I'm not a fan because it's not flattering for the average person to wear. 

 

Point is, NFL "authentic" jerseys have been far from what the players wear on the field for a long time. This is nothing new.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dhamen0420 said:

1) the game worn jersey is so tight on me and extra long that it would be uncomfortable to wear 

2) So basically to own a NFL authentic jersey you can plan on getting the official lettering/numbering, logos, and fabric but not the on field cut

1) I bought an Ohio State "authentic" Nike jersey in 2006 and took it to a tailor to cut the sleeves down. They were a good 12 inches and I was able to halve that and have the sleeves look like the jersey was ready for game day, not just the tailgate. I also had them "bring in" the sides of a Carolina Panthers jersey I had. The biggest issue with the Panthers jersey was bringing the sleeve logo up to the shoulder loops without ruining the look of the sleeves, which were cuffed at the ends. Sadly, the Panthers jersey was too snug after a few years and I eventually gave it to Goodwill. The Jacksonville Jaguars jersey that I bought around the same time as the Buckeyes jersey was loose then but fits me decently now, I just never wear it. I have an authentic Hamilton tiger-Cats jersey from 2002 that I bought on clearance that still had the 4 inches of length at the bottom of the jersey rather than the fan cut. One of my stepsisters joked she could wear it as a dress. 

 

2)This is really important when you plan on hanging it. Like with the Tiger-Cats jersey, I'd have had to pull the jocktags, trim the hem and then put them back on if I was going to post it in a frame properly. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

See how tight it is around the numbers and chest? Bruce Smith is listed at 6'4" 265. I'm 5'11" 170 and wear a size 40-42 suit jacket and prefer a size 44 jersey. Some players smaller than Bruce obviously wore smaller jerseys - I have a 2002 game-worn 49ers jersey of DB Jason Webster (5'9" 187) that is a size 40 (it's barely big enough for me to fit in - a few beers and some nachos and it feels uncomfortable). I've seen NFL gamers in a size 38 (possibly even 36) but I can't recall any specific players.

You're also not wearing pads which will stretch the jersey out more uniformly. That's the biggest issue when looking at buying authentics. At least now you can look up a player in uniform and guesstimate how big a jersey will look.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2017 at 10:21 PM, dhamen0420 said:

I guess it depends on what you consider an authentic when it comes to NFL jerseys now a days. Back in 2004 I interned with the Oakland Raiders. While there I purchased an "authentic" Jerry Rice jersey, to have him autograph, and a game worn authentic jersey of a skill player to go along with all of my game worn jerseys of teams I have worked for (jersey is framed at my parents so I can't recall his name at the moment). Anyways I am 5'8" and roughly 190lbs and the game worn jersey is so tight on me and extra long that it would be uncomfortable to wear as a jersey out and about, I should have bought a QB's jersey so it  laid a little nicer in the frame. Oakland, like I am sure all NFL teams have, have a tailor that comes in and will alter the players jersey to their specifications. So I would say that well over half of the jerseys you see on the field would be terrible authentics to own and wear. So basically to own a NFL authentic jersey you can plan on getting the official lettering/numbering, logos, and fabric but not the on field cut. Next time i am at my parents I will have to get the jersey and take pictures comparing on field authentic vs store bought authentic. Only down side is I think there is some paint on one sleeve because I set it on a table and didn't see that my wife had a can of paint open. Luckily you can't see it in the frame.

 

Its funny you say that! I own a size 42 Rob Johnson Raiders jersey from '03, and even though Rob was 6'4", 220 lbs, the jersey is skin tight on my 5'10", 175-pound frame. The sleeves aren't even stitched past the armpit because the cuffs would be so tight. I also noticed the number font is slightly different on the front vs. the back of the jersey, which is a cool little quirk you don't see in retail authentics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:

 

Its funny you say that! I own a size 42 Rob Johnson Raiders jersey from '03, and even though Rob was 6'4", 220 lbs, the jersey is skin tight on my 5'10", 175-pound frame. The sleeves aren't even stitched past the armpit because the cuffs would be so tight. I also noticed the number font is slightly different on the front vs. the back of the jersey, which is a cool little quirk you don't see in retail authentics.

Interesting about the number font, will have to look at that when I get the jersey back. Will take pics and post to compare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dhamen0420 said:

Interesting about the number font, will have to look at that when I get the jersey back. Will take pics and post to compare.

 

I know this is standard practice for many NFL teams (unique back numbers), but most of the images on the internet just have the numbers Photoshopped on, and those can be notoriously inaccurate, so I’d be interested in seeing an actual photo of a current retail authentic to confirm that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2017 at 2:39 AM, NYBadshah1 said:

No, you can also buy authentic soccer uniforms. I believe Nike's Vapor Match and Adidas' adizero are the exact same as on-field. 

 

Depends.

 

For a while, when Arsenal was kitted out by Nike, they used heat-pressed badges on their on-pitch jerseys and embroidered on the retail "authentics".  The game-worn ones were intended to be as light as possible (and to avoid any chafing from the back of sewn badges?), but nobody thought that fans would pay for the "cheap looking" heat press.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2017 at 5:07 PM, jerseyjunk said:

Correct, if you wanted the real numbers, you had to get those limited edition jerseys that came in a cardboard box, those was made preseason,  i have some  Kobe´s and Miami  Lebrons 

.

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=52784469

 

nwt-adidas-rev30-boxed-authentic-jersey-

 

Interesting.  Do you have a picture of the numbers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.