Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

Oso

12 hours ago, Chauncey917 said:

I like Herons the best. Pioneers is cool, but there's an issue with it. Cascades is cool but naming a team after a mountain range is pretty unique and that uniqueness has been used up the the Rockies. A bird name is more of a standard naming convention so it doesn't stick out as a copycat name as much. 

I don't understand that logic at all.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Esco said:

Portland Raindrops 

Drop tops

but no raindrops would not work IMO, it just sounds minor league-ish. There has to be a good rose themed nickname they could use

Excellent!

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don't understand that logic at all.

I get the logic -- at this juncture, copying one team feels more derivative than copying three or four teams -- I just don't agree.

I don't think there's anything feminine or women's-sportsy about thorns. They're not the Petals. It's just a good name for a Portland team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Has any major league team in baseball relocated as many times as the A's? Philly to KC to Oakland and now maybe Portland? That's brutal

They're tied for the lead with the Braves .  Unless maybe you want to count the Western Association forerunners of the original American League clubs..

Purely for branding purposes, I'd hate it if the A's relocated here to Portland. You could easily rebrand the Rays, but retiring the Athletics brand, with all its history, would be hard to let go. 

And for those of you keeping score on the reality of this situation, the management group working on this is led by a former high-ranking Nike executive, and they just placed bids on two potential stadium sites. A long way to go, but a lot further along than many here expected. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/news/2018/04/17/portland-stadium-drive-begins-as-baseball-group.html

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Purely for branding purposes, I'd hate it if the A's relocated here to Portland. You could easily rebrand the Rays, but retiring the Athletics brand, with all its history, would be hard to let go.

No worries on that score.  There is literally a zero percent chance that MLB would let them rename the A’s upon a move.  Zero. 

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

No worries on that score.  There is literally a zero percent chance that MLB would let them rename the A’s upon a move.  Zero. 

Yeah, I’d agree there. At most, all that’d change would be a new road uniform wordmark. The A’s have the most transportable identity in the majors. The cap logo reflects the team name, they rarely use local iconography, etc.

This could all have been avoided if Connie Mack swallowed his pride in the 1930s and sold the team, instead of running it into the ground with his senility and family squabbles. Selling to local investors instead of the Yankee toadie would have also been preferable. Obligatory article link to SABR piece on the A’s final years in Philly.

Growing up in the Bay Area and Sacramento but now living in the  Portland area, I would definitely welcome the A's. Green & Gold would fit perfectly in the Northwest. Just don't call them the Oregon Athletics. Portland A's or Athletics will do nicely. 

Portland A's would be ideal if they shifted.

You could also utilise the A for Associates, Associated, Allied, Affiliated or Amalgamated to allow the South Washington (Vancouver) area.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Let's just say that the Hampton Roads area gets an MLB team somehow.  They would most likely play in Norfolk, since that's where the AAA's Norfolk Tides play at, specifically Harbor Park.  IIRC, Harbor Park has been around since 1993, meaning that expanding the ballpark is certainly going to happen.  Heck, a new ballpark could even be built.  Norfolk has a Light Rail system, called The Tide, and they have a stop at Harbor Park.  There have been efforts to expand the Tide to Virginia Beach, specifically Town Center (downtown) and the Oceanfront (the beach.)  According to Election Day 2016, 57% of people in VB rejected the Tide expansion.  However, if an MLB team came to the area, then the view of the Tide expansion would most likely shift.  This would increase attendance numbers, as more people would be able to get to the games.  These are only the logistics of having a team in the area.  If you want naming ideas, then the Tides are the name to go.  If you don't know the Tides, then you're not from Hampton Roads.  Trust me, I should, because I'm a native of the region, and there is Tides stuff just about everywhere you look.  If that's not an option, then Neptunes could work as well, as there is a statue of King Neptune at the Oceanfront in Virginia Beach.  That's how I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring.

GOOD GRIEF I HAVEN'T BEEN HERE IN A LONG TIME

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

MLB network said just now that they plan on getting to 32 teams, w/ Montreal, Mexico, Portland, San Antonio as the likely options. They said the Tampa & Oakland stadium situations need to be figured out first though.

Oh, is that all?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Portland Rustics:

-  during it's early days, Portland and Oregon were nothing if not rustic

-  incorporates the essence of the region's movement toward a lifestyle that resembles the area's early pioneers such as sustainable living

-  Speaking of pioneers, no other nickname is more suited for a Portland MLB team than the Pioneers (previously suggested). Sure, Lewis & Clark College has that nickname -- but they do not own it. We should not eliminate the nickname as a possibility simply because another school uses it. Lewis & Clark College is a very small, private, Division III school where, in reality, sports play an insignificant role and is of little interest to most of it's 2,134 undergraduate students.  In addition, high school, college and professional sports teams throughout the US share hundreds if not thousands of nicknames. In fact, the Beavers, a heavily advocated nickname on this thread would be shared with one of Oregon's major universities.

- Besides, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark were explorers not pioneers -- those that came later and stayed were the pioneers.

- barring the use of Pioneers, the Rustics is most synonymous with the context in which the Pioneers nickname would be used

- the Settlers, a nickname also suggested earlier in this thread, would be another that follows in this vein

On 5/7/2018 at 3:57 PM, Fresno St. Alum said:

MLB network said just now that they plan on getting to 32 teams, w/ Montreal, Mexico, Portland, San Antonio as the likely options. They said the Tampa & Oakland stadium situations need to be figured out first though.

They're probably just bringing it up since Manfred was asked about it again during the series in Mexico, but there's nothing really new here. 

I would like to think Oakland and Tampa can thrive once they leave those dumps they play in. There's just too many people in the Bay area +Sacramento for the A's not to be able to attract fans with a decent stadium and winning team. Tampa maybe as well, but who knows.

For San Antonio I see a cowboy theme. Maybe something gold, silver, tan, or black? Charlotte with similar colors to the Panthers would be nice. Maybe the Carolina Cougars? Just spit balling. 

I still think they're playing lip service with Mexico. I can't see that happening. 

Archived