Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

Oso

On 2/26/2019 at 12:15 PM, AgentColon2 said:

Carolina Reapers

Make the logo similar to the Padres friar swinging, but with a Grim Reaper instead. Make the baseball look like a Carolina Reaper pepper. 

Colors could be black with red and green trim.

Definitely would make for a good minor league identity. 

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/8/2019 at 6:38 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

There's no need for expansion right now, for sure. The Rays, Marlins, and plenty of other teams need to get their attendance numbers up, but I think the conversation is worth having in preparation for whenever expansion occurs.

Well the commissioner did say the stadium issues with Tampa Bay and Oakland need to be addressed first before they expand. 

15 hours ago, daveindc said:

Well the commissioner did say the stadium issues with Tampa Bay and Oakland need to be addressed first before they expand. 

He did say that. Baseball has going through a very rough time, and I think that the MLB needs to get as many franchises as stable as they can before even considering expansion. How to fix the issues? I'm not sure. Baseball is fundamentally a slow-paced game, and while I love it, why sit around waiting for things to happen when you could watch something like basketball, which is constant action? I now they've been trying to tackle this with things like pitch clocks (which I support), but it's not going to fix the problem entirely. I think cutting back on the number of games might help, since 81 home dates can be hard to fill up. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

Pace of play can be largely ameliorated by, when players ask for time, telling them "no." Seems like a better initial plan of attack than taking ten days' worth of gate receipts away to be more like the NBA.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/9/2019 at 1:29 PM, pianoknight said:

That's a good economic point to address. My comment was only from the standpoint of being able to draw a crowd and pack a stadium. I feel like Mexico City would have a better chance at that than Raleigh. 

Mexico City is 10x more of a pipe dream than Raleigh.

Baseball is at best the fourth-most popular sport in Mexico City (1. soccer, 2. boxing, 3. soccer again), and despite being the center of a 20+ million urban area, the Diablos Rojos recently moved into a 5k stadium in part because they weren't filling the 25k one. They were between 3-5k, which sounds fantastic for "minor league" baseball, but the Mexican League is "major" in a "minor" way... highest level in the country, but a few notches below the highest in the world. It's got a lot of similarities in that regard to MLS (and that's not a knock against MLS whatsoever). The kicker to this is that "actual tickets sold" is much, much lower than that. Nobody pays to go to Mexican League games. Lots of ticket giveaways to lure folks in to spend money on beer and snacks. Which is a fine enough marketing plan, but it won't work for MLB. I've also heard multiple times that baseball in Mexico is more popular among the poor (the wealth gap in Mexico City is enormous) than the upper and middle classes - the type that would actually purchase tickets. There would also need to be a new stadium, which is an entirely different can of worms.

Add in the issues of peso-dollar convertibility, travel, luring non-Hispanic free agents to Mexico (ain't that where all them cartels are?!?)... it ain't happening. Unless a Carlos Slim wants to throw away a few billion because he wants MLB in Mexico, of course.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• 3 weeks later...

For Portland I like the name Paladins.   Sports like baseball and hockey lend themselves well to knight references as the protective gear correlates to armor and bats and hockey sticks replace swords and lances.  Portland Paladins has the qualities of both alliteration (p,d, l, n) assonance (short "a").  Plus the name Paladins can be a very friendly name -- the short version being "Pals".  They'd be your baseball pals.   

The word Montreal actually means Mount Royal and throughout the city's minor league existence the team was usually called the Royals.  But now Kansas City is called the Royals whereas the great Negro League franchise in Kansas City was called the Monarchs.  How about the Montreal Monarques?   Again it's alliterative and has assonance and sets up a possible name trade sometime in the future. 

28 minutes ago, dcc said:

Again it's alliterative and has assonance and sets up a possible name trade sometime in the future. 

Baseball: America's pastime.

Arguing over swapping identities, rebranding and relocation/expansion rights: CCSLC's favorite pastime. 

23 hours ago, dcc said:

For Portland I like the name Paladins.   Sports like baseball and hockey lend themselves well to knight references as the protective gear correlates to armor and bats and hockey sticks replace swords and lances.  Portland Paladins has the qualities of both alliteration (p,d, l, n) assonance (short "a").  Plus the name Paladins can be a very friendly name -- the short version being "Pals".  They'd be your baseball pals.   

The word Montreal actually means Mount Royal and throughout the city's minor league existence the team was usually called the Royals.  But now Kansas City is called the Royals whereas the great Negro League franchise in Kansas City was called the Monarchs.  How about the Montreal Monarques?   Again it's alliterative and has assonance and sets up a possible name trade sometime in the future. 

It'll only be the Expos if Montreal gets another team. Can't imagine them using anything else nor fans wanting anything else.

5 hours ago, McCall said:

It'll only be the Expos if Montreal gets another team. Can't imagine them using anything else nor fans wanting anything else.

As much as I like the Expos name returning to Montreal, in the same logic, Washington should have adopted the Senators name NOT the Nationals.

13 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Washington should have adopted the Grays name.

We have five MLB clubs honoring old minor-league teams by taking their names; why can’t we have one honor the Negro Leagues?

I’d be good with it. Then again, the Grays legacy also has a significant Pittsburgh presence (if anything, they’re more of a Pittsburgh team than Washington). That might complicate things.

42 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’d be good with it. Then again, the Grays legacy also has a significant Pittsburgh presence (if anything, they’re more of a Pittsburgh team than Washington). That might complicate things.

If Pittsburgh had any desire to use the name, then I’d agree with you.  But since they don’t, I think Washington has more than enough claim. Hell, they outdrew the Senators for a while in the 40s. 

If anyone has an interest, this is an amazing book about their years in Washington. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

If Pittsburgh had any desire to use the name, then I’d agree with you.  But since they don’t, I think Washington has more than enough claim. Hell, they outdrew the Senators for a while in the 40s. 

If anyone has an interest, this is an amazing book about their years in Washington. 

spacer.png

Now that you mention it, that wouldn’t be a bad idea. Besides, the Washington-based Grays have a more recent championship than any MLB team in Washington.

Archived