Oso

Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

16 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

Hi, Sorry, but I think Nashville is a better site than Portland. Why? Nashville had a large metro population of estimated to 1.75 million people and both of Nashville's pro teams(Titans and Predators) had high attendance. Exactly, the city supports them. Nashville's triple A Sounds are one of MiLB's most successful teams and Portland had trouble supported the triple A's Beavers ago. here's a few possible names for Nashville MLB team:

• Sounds(very possible)
  • Blues
  • Jazz
  • Stings, etc.

Sounds is the best name. Sounds really fits the city's famous country music and the city's nickname. yes,"The Music City"!

f18154a5-75f6-419e-9d1c-161be3c0f136-nas

And I would love to see the Expos back.

I'm not in love with Sounds based on how it sounds... Has there ever been a case where a pro team took on the moniker of a previously established minor league team?

Also, Jazz and Blues would be odd since the town is most known for country.

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

I'm not in love with Sounds based on how it sounds... Has there ever been a case where a pro team took on the moniker of a previously established minor league team?

Baltimore Orioles, LA Angels, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers, and San Diego Padres were all named after successful minor league clubs. 

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

Also, Jazz and Blues would be odd since the town is most known for country.

See I was thinking the Nashville Blues would be fine, my other thought was something like the Nashville Bluegrass or something similar to the regional music scene, but I don't see an easy solution to that.

Just now, NicDB said:

Baltimore Orioles, LA Angels, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers, and San Diego Padres were all named after successful minor league clubs. 

But in the modern age of branding, I don’t think that’s happening. The Marlins are an exception to that rule, but there’s a solid series of reasons why we didn’t have the Denver Bears/Zephyrs, Phoenix Firebirds, and Tampa Bay Tarpons/Saints. Unless the minor league name is incredibly popular/ubiquitous in the market, it makes more financial sense to craft a new identity.

Sounds would be the best option for Nashville, but Nashville isn’t that good an option for MLB compared to the Pacific Northwest, the Carolinas, or Montréal. 

32 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Sounds would be the best option for Nashville, but Nashville isn’t that good an option for MLB compared to the Pacific Northwest, the Carolinas, or Montréal. 

Seattle has the PNW covered, and I dunno that the Mariners will be all that willing to give up Oregon as a market region to a new franchise. I could see Nashville, Charlotte and Montréal all working as the next MLB teams, though; Charlotte, especially, as Carolina is crazy for baseball, having numerous MiLB teams. 

Nashville would tap into the Tennessee market, and we all know the MLB is basically just waiting for an excuse to get back into Montréal.

5 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Seattle has the PNW covered, and I dunno that the Mariners will be all that willing to give up Oregon as a market region to a new franchise.

I think it’s the opposite. The Mariners have one of, if not the toughest travel schedules in the majors. A Portland team would mean they would have a potential travel partner (which is ultimately why the Giants and Dodgers moved together and why the Angels needed another AL team on the West Coast) and could make a ton of money from regional rivalry games. 

I could see Nashville, Charlotte and Montréal all working as the next MLB teams, though; Charlotte, especially, as Carolina is crazy for baseball, having numerous MiLB teams. 

No question there. It’s a matter of deciding between Charlotte and Raleigh (and ignoring the stupidity of the Triad plan). 

Nashville would tap into the Tennessee market, and we all know the MLB is basically just waiting for an excuse to get back into Montréal.

Definitely, but I’m not sure how much MLB is prepared to deal with building up a team in Montréal and making sure the potential ownership group can build a stadium quickly enough to avoid too much time at Le Stade Éléphant Blanc. The Spring Training games aren’t enough evidence, IMHO.

18 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

Hi, Sorry, but I think Nashville is a better site than Portland. Why? Nashville had a large metro population of estimated to 1.75 million people and both of Nashville's pro teams(Titans and Predators) had high attendance. Exactly, the city supports them. Nashville's triple A Sounds are one of MiLB's most successful teams and Portland had trouble supported the triple A's Beavers ago. here's a few possible names for Nashville MLB team:

• Sounds(very possible)
  • Blues
  • Jazz
  • Stings, etc.

Sounds is the best name. Sounds really fits the city's famous country music and the city's nickname. yes,"The Music City"!

f18154a5-75f6-419e-9d1c-161be3c0f136-nas

And I would love to see the Expos back.

Well the last incarnation of the Beavers were sold and relocated because their ballpark was being renovated into a soccer only facility for the Portland Timbers. Merritt Paulson, who also owns the Timbers, couldn't get a stadium built for the Beavers in the Portland area so he sold the team which relocated to Tucson and then to El Paso.

23 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I think it’s the opposite. The Mariners have one of, if not the toughest travel schedules in the majors. A Portland team would mean they would have a potential travel partner (which is ultimately why the Giants and Dodgers moved together and why the Angels needed another AL team on the West Coast) and could make a ton of money from regional rivalry games. 

Hmm, good point. I had considered the TV market shrinkage, but having the regional rivalry surging ticket sales and the less terrible travel schedule would balance that out pretty nicely.

No question there. It’s a matter of deciding between Charlotte and Raleigh (and ignoring the stupidity of the Triad plan). 

Looking at numbers, Raleigh makes a lot of sense; it's a very fast-growing metro (growing at a rate of +20.53% from 2010 to 2018) that already has the population to support an MLB club, ranking amongst pre-existing MLB clubs like Pittsburgh in terms of population, especially given how rabid the Carolinas are about their baseball. Raleigh's also the capital of North Carolina, and it's economy is booming thanks to a rejuvenation in the downtown area.

I think even in spite of how laughably idiotic the Triad plan is and always was, Raleigh makes a good deal of sense to expand to for the MLB at some point. Charlotte could also work, but I have to imagine Raleigh will be an intriguing prospect nonetheless. Will be interesting to see which city, if either, the MLB goes for. Plus, Raleigh being in the league gives the Braves another potential rival (as would Nashville, incidentally).

Definitely, but I’m not sure how much MLB is prepared to deal with building up a team in Montréal and making sure the potential ownership group can build a stadium quickly enough to avoid too much time at Le Stade Éléphant Blanc. The Spring Training games aren’t enough evidence, IMHO.

Obviously a new Montréal team would come once the new stadium gets finished, but once they have a new ballpark, I see basically no chance they don't go back. The MLB basically seems to be open to anything in regards to putting a team in the city, hence the incredibly stupid Rays plan.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I agree with everything you've said here. I think the Mariners would love to have another PNW team (as long as it's in the AL) and the Carolinas are the perfect number two option. Charlotte works better than Raleigh because of its size, compactness compared to the Raleigh-Durham metro (Durham is like 20-ish miles from Raleigh), and general support for baseball (it's existed since 1901, with various teams in various leagues, and the Knights have led MiLB in attendance since moving to Uptown Charlotte).

1 hour ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Hmm, good point. I had considered the TV market shrinkage, but having the regional rivalry surging ticket sales and the less terrible travel schedule would balance that out pretty nicely.

Looking at numbers, Raleigh makes a lot of sense; it's a very fast-growing metro (growing at a rate of +20.53% from 2010 to 2018) that already has the population to support an MLB club, ranking amongst pre-existing MLB clubs like Pittsburgh in terms of population, especially given how rabid the Carolinas are about their baseball. Raleigh's also the capital of North Carolina, and it's economy is booming thanks to a rejuvenation in the downtown area.

I think even in spite of how laughably idiotic the Triad plan is and always was, Raleigh makes a good deal of sense to expand to for the MLB at some point. Charlotte could also work, but I have to imagine Raleigh will be an intriguing prospect nonetheless. Will be interesting to see which city, if either, the MLB goes for. Plus, Raleigh being in the league gives the Braves another potential rival (as would Nashville, incidentally).

Obviously a new Montréal team would come once the new stadium gets finished, but once they have a new ballpark, I see basically no chance they don't go back. The MLB basically seems to be open to anything in regards to putting a team in the city, hence the incredibly stupid Rays plan.

A PNW rival for the Mariners would be great for them, and I'd imagine that they'd probably support any bid for the area (not to mention realignment would probably take them out of the division with the Rangers and Astros, making the schedule even better).

The problem with Raleigh is it doesn't measure up to Charlotte, for reasons I've said above. Charlotte is bigger (its metro is just below Baltimore's), plus it has proven support for baseball, given the Knights' success. Also, I don't think either Raleigh or Nashville rival Atlanta quite like Charlotte does. The two cities hate each other, and Charlotte beats Atlanta in terms of urban population, but Atlanta's metro is huge. 

I'm sure that the Rays will be permanently in Montréal for about 20 or so years, before moving again, because Montréal just doesn't have the baseball support it once did, excellently detailed by @SFGiants58 time and time again. The MLB will regret it after that initial nostalgia wears off.

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

But in the modern age of branding, I don’t think that’s happening. The Marlins are an exception to that rule, but there’s a solid series of reasons why we didn’t have the Denver Bears/Zephyrs, Phoenix Firebirds, and Tampa Bay Tarpons/Saints. Unless the minor league name is incredibly popular/ubiquitous in the market, it makes more financial sense to craft a new identity.

I think the Sounds have more in common with the Angels, Brewers, Padres & co. than people think.  They were all very successful clubs which became part of the fabric of their community before any big time pro sports came along.  The Sounds had already been around for 20 years before Nashville got the Oilers/Titans and Predators.  And their famous scoreboard is as much of a local landmark as Bernie's stein is to us Mil Towners of a certain age.

Is Nashville a great expansion candidate?  Not really.  But if we're being honest, the only thing any of the cities in this discussion really have going for them is that they're not Tampa Bay.  I still say 24 teams is all baseball would ever need, but that's not even a likely enough scenario to be considered a pipe dream.

On 7/28/2019 at 4:17 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

I agree with everything you've said here. I think the Mariners would love to have another PNW team (as long as it's in the AL) and the Carolinas are the perfect number two option. Charlotte works better than Raleigh because of its size, compactness compared to the Raleigh-Durham metro (Durham is like 20-ish miles from Raleigh), and general support for baseball (it's existed since 1901, with various teams in various leagues, and the Knights have led MiLB in attendance since moving to Uptown Charlotte).

A PNW rival for the Mariners would be great for them, and I'd imagine that they'd probably support any bid for the area (not to mention realignment would probably take them out of the division with the Rangers and Astros, making the schedule even better).

The problem with Raleigh is it doesn't measure up to Charlotte, for reasons I've said above. Charlotte is bigger (its metro is just below Baltimore's), plus it has proven support for baseball, given the Knights' success. Also, I don't think either Raleigh or Nashville rival Atlanta quite like Charlotte does. The two cities hate each other, and Charlotte beats Atlanta in terms of urban population, but Atlanta's metro is huge. 

I'm sure that the Rays will be permanently in Montréal for about 20 or so years, before moving again, because Montréal just doesn't have the baseball support it once did, excellently detailed by @SFGiants58 time and time again. The MLB will regret it after that initial nostalgia wears off.

And where did you get this information? The exhibition games played at the Big O in the past 2 yrs were nearly sold out.

I believe Montreal would have found success and built a new stadium if it wasn't for the MLB lockout in 1994.

1 hour ago, Tygers09 said:

And where did you get this information? The exhibition games played at the Big O in the past 2 yrs were nearly sold out.

I believe Montreal would have found success and built a new stadium if it wasn't for the MLB lockout in 1994.

It's probable that they would've stayed in Montréal for a few more years than the Expos actually did, but it's been well-documented by @SFGiants58 why Montréal baseball was not sustainable in the long term. I firmly believe that similar factors would affect any new Expos team and the nostalgia factor that would keep the team afloat early on would fade barring incredible success and a newfound interest in baseball among the francophone population of Québec and Montréal specifically.

I'm biased because I'm a native Nashvillian but I think it's by far the best option for relocation/expansion.  It's a growing prosperous city. The strength of a Nashville team isn't just its own market. A team in Nashville draws strongly from Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Huntsville, Birmingham, Louisville and all places in between. Portland offers nothing like that in terms of secondary markets nor in accessibility to the rest of the country for fans who might be driving through to see a game as part of a road trip. 

I've never really understood the Portland hype. I don't get a baseball vibe out of Portland at all, maybe Portlandia fooled me.

36 minutes ago, Rebuy said:

I'm biased because I'm a native Nashvillian but I think it's by far the best option for relocation/expansion.  It's a growing prosperous city. The strength of a Nashville team isn't just its own market. A team in Nashville draws strongly from Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Huntsville, Birmingham, Louisville and all places in between. Portland offers nothing like that in terms of secondary markets nor in accessibility to the rest of the country for fans who might be driving through to see a game as part of a road trip. 

I've never really understood the Portland hype. I don't get a baseball vibe out of Portland at all, maybe Portlandia fooled me.

Has Nashville led all of MiLB in total attendance as well as yearly since 2014? Nashville is a good choice, but it's basically a second option if Charlotte can't put together something. Both cities are stuck with a new Minor League stadium that's non-expandable but Charlotte has the history and traditional support to make it the correct choice. A team in Charlotte draws from Concord, Kannapolis, Hickory, Rock Hill, Spartanburg, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Raleigh, Durham, Columbia, Augusta, GA, Asheville, and all places between (and that's just using the 192-mile radius from Nashville to Birmingham). Not to mention, Louisville is, I'd assume, Reds territory, and Birmingham Braves territory, so a Nashville team would probably be limited to Tennessee, like the Titans, while a Charlotte would be able to draw from at least the north of South Carolina. 

Honestly, the order I'd put MLB expansion/relocation (ignoring current stadium situations, this is all hypothetical) would be Charlotte, Portland, Nashville, Vancouver, San Antonio, Montreal, Las Vegas. My preference would be for the Rays to commit to moving full-time to Montreal, and Charlotte and Portland joining in a hypothetical NL South (with the Braves, Nats, and Marlins) and AL West (with the Mariners, A's, and Angels), along with other realignment.

On 10/9/2019 at 12:49 PM, daveindc said:

Also looks like they're already committed to the name Nashville Stars, after the Negro League team:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/2133502001

Okay, so...hold up. All that money the city put up years ago to transform the West Bank into greenspace, most notably Cumberland Park (greenspace that, it should be noted, dang near got flooded out again during the last round of major flooding Nashville experienced), not to mention a/ the fact that the space on which that rendering sits currently serves as parking lots for Nissan and b/ that pedestrian bridge currently lands far further into the West Bank than that rendering shows, meaning somehow the city would have to modify that end of the bridge (i.e. spend even more $ it doesn't have) to even fit that park in there (which would also create the odd situation of having a river bridge just randomly land somewhere in the right field stands). First of all, if all that parking space goes bye-bye, where else are people going to park? There's literally NOWHERE ELSE on either side of the river to park now for games (and the TA truck stop next to Nissan Stadium already kicks half the trucks parked there out of the parking lot for game days so they can make more room for stadium parking, which is a beef I ain't even finna get into up in here). What would the city have fans do--park up in Madison and catch the 56 BRT down to games??

Which speaks to point #2: yes, Nashville is growing at an absolutely ridiculous pace--& that's also its biggest problem: it's growing WAY too fast, and if some measures aren't implemented soon, the city is going to choke on its own growth. Which brings us back to the issue of space. Trying to fit an MLB stadium in between Victory Drive (which runs alongside the southeast side of Nissan Stadium) and the Korean Veterans Blvd bridge (while also finagling some solution for the aforementioned preexisting pedestrian bridge) is gonna be a chore in itself, while also further magnifying the already-beyond-ridiculous traffic issue that is the downtown loop, especially the I-24 side (where Nissan Stadium currently sits, as would that proposed stadium). And all this, oh by the way, after the city just put roughly $60M into the  AAA Sounds' new ballpark over in Germantown, and are about to pump some more capital into Nashville SC's soon-to-be new home site (in a neighborhood that itself is already a traffic nightmare as is and will only get worse after its done).

The question is this: does Nashville really need an MLB team, or does it just want one? If it wants one, why does it want one? To further increase the profile of the city (which I submit is already pretty dang high as is, otherwise everyone and their friends, cousins, and best friends n' em wouldn't be moving there in packs, by the week)? At what cost to the already- woefully-outdated infrastructure (which to the city's credit they're actually trying to do something about) not to mention other basic social and civil services? There's definitely something to be said about "counting the costs"...

TL; DR: Nashville a/ is already outgrowing itself as it is and b/ has more important problems to solve before even thinking about trying to stand up ANOTHER pro sports team. It'd be wise on their part to tend to those issues first. 

On 10/9/2019 at 4:03 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

It's probable that they would've stayed in Montréal for a few more years than the Expos actually did, but it's been well-documented by @SFGiants58 why Montréal baseball was not sustainable in the long term. I firmly believe that similar factors would affect any new Expos team and the nostalgia factor that would keep the team afloat early on would fade barring incredible success and a newfound interest in baseball among the francophone population of Québec and Montréal specifically.

As a Rays fan. Montreal is the front runner for expansion, followed by Charlotte and Las Vegas. 

Montreal was dealt a bad hand in the late 80's when there was talk of secession from Canada. This caused a lack of development, infrastructure, and spending in Quebec which lasted well into the mid 90's. This hurt the people who didn't have money to go to games and and attendance dropped drastically. Look at their local economy at the time and it was deliberately driven down to stop secession.  

Prior to that issue, Montreal was a top fan base and was always producing. 

Charlotte is a great growing city. I don't think the new AAA stadium is as much of a roadblock as much as some say. If Charlotte/Mecklenburg county wants it enough and MLB says yes, they will make it happen. 

Vegas will have an MLB if relocation happens and if Montreal or Charlotte don't come through OR do not want two new teams in the same time zone. 

A funny joke: the Bloc Quebecois had the right idea in destroying Canada, but the wrong idea in preserving Quebec.

1 hour ago, selgy said:

As a Rays fan. Montreal is the front runner for expansion, followed by Charlotte and Las Vegas. 

Montreal was dealt a bad hand in the late 80's when there was talk of secession from Canada. This caused a lack of development, infrastructure, and spending in Quebec which lasted well into the mid 90's. This hurt the people who didn't have money to go to games and and attendance dropped drastically. Look at their local economy at the time and it was deliberately driven down to stop secession.  

Prior to that issue, Montreal was a top fan base and was always producing. 

Charlotte is a great growing city. I don't think the new AAA stadium is as much of a roadblock as much as some say. If Charlotte/Mecklenburg county wants it enough and MLB says yes, they will make it happen. 

The problem is those lasting repercussions have kept Montréal from reaching the heights it could. Lots of businesses moved out to Toronto, leaving any big-money business support out. Plus, baseball just doesn't appeal to the francophones that stayed as much as other sports like hockey. Again, @SFGiants58 has listed all these things, but I'm too lazy to go find the post right now. Plus, the Rays will probably move full-time to Montréal, realize it was a mistake in 20-ish years, and move again to wherever.