Oso

Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Gross. Luckily they have little chance of getting a team. lol

Instead of Dreamers, I think that Williams would be wiser to have the team be nicknamed the Juice -- which came in second behind Magic in the then-proposed Orlando NBA franchise's naming contest in 1986.

Edited by Walk-Off
Correction of a misspelling

That'd be big with all the Beccas in HR who all got into Lizzo at the same time for some reason

7 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Insread of Dreamers, I think that Williams would be wiser to have the team be nicknamed the Juice -- which came in second behind Magic in the then-proposed Orlando NBA franchise's naming contest in 1986.

Here's a cool article on it, and the Magic's orange themed City Edition uniforms:

https://clutchpoints.com/magic-news-orlando-initially-considered-going-with-juice-team-nickname

"Juice" might be more suitable for a basketball team. Is "Juicers" a thing, like Brewers? Then again, that makes them sound like roid users.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

How about the Orlando Calrissians?

The Orlando Blooms

The Orlando Oranges has a nice ring to it. 

On 11/20/2019 at 7:53 PM, Walk-Off said:

Orlando Dreamers?  More like Orlando Dream-Ons if you ask me!

Hey, Mr. Williams, 1990 called.  It wants its branding consultant and its graphic designer back.

Seriously. 

Everything about that presentation asks me, "Are you kidding me?"; from old Pat Williams making a presentation in a t-shirt and ballcap like someone's senile Grandpa who forgot to put on pants when going to church; to the basic clip art logo and silly name, to even Pat Williams'  "can't unsee can't look away"  glowing red Santa Clause nose. 

It's like I was watching a skit on SNL or something.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:14 AM, ltp74 said:

Orlando Orange Sox?

I don't typically like the idea of more Sox teams because I think it's lazy, but at least orange is significant here. Orange and green maybe? Orange dominant look with orange socks.

5218185.jpg

tumblr_q1ihea90F81u7t2opo1_640.png14_8132520.jpg

On 11/20/2019 at 10:39 PM, daveindc said:

"Juice" might be more suitable for a basketball team. Is "Juicers" a thing, like Brewers? Then again, that makes them sound like roid users.

1. Orlando has already had one professional baseball club nicknamed the Juice.  The team played one full season in the Senior Professional Baseball Association, a Florida-based winter league that had a minimum age of 32 for catchers and 35 for all other players, debuted in late 1989, and folded nearly halfway through its second season (1990-91, after the Orlando Juice had disbanded).
  2. Yes, a juicer is a thing.  The word is used usually for a device, either manual or electrically powered, that extracts juice from fruits and/or vegetables.
  3. Yes, I was thinking about the use of "juice" as slang for performance-enhancing drugs and of "juicer" as slang for a user of PEDs when I suggested Juice as an Orlando MLB team's nickname.  No, I do not condone PEDs, but I am still very able to imagine how a nickname with potential for an association with PEDs could intimidate opposing teams and their fans.