Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

Oso

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of Dreamers, I think that Williams would be wiser to have the team be nicknamed the Juice -- which came in second behind Magic in the then-proposed Orlando NBA franchise's naming contest in 1986.

7 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Insread of Dreamers, I think that Williams would be wiser to have the team be nicknamed the Juice -- which came in second behind Magic in the then-proposed Orlando NBA franchise's naming contest in 1986.

Here's a cool article on it, and the Magic's orange themed City Edition uniforms:

https://clutchpoints.com/magic-news-orlando-initially-considered-going-with-juice-team-nickname

"Juice" might be more suitable for a basketball team. Is "Juicers" a thing, like Brewers? Then again, that makes them sound like roid users.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:53 PM, Walk-Off said:

Orlando Dreamers?  More like Orlando Dream-Ons if you ask me!

Hey, Mr. Williams, 1990 called.  It wants its branding consultant and its graphic designer back.

Seriously. 

Everything about that presentation asks me, "Are you kidding me?"; from old Pat Williams making a presentation in a t-shirt and ballcap like someone's senile Grandpa who forgot to put on pants when going to church; to the basic clip art logo and silly name, to even Pat Williams'  "can't unsee can't look away"  glowing red Santa Clause nose. 

It's like I was watching a skit on SNL or something.

It is what it is.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:39 PM, daveindc said:

"Juice" might be more suitable for a basketball team. Is "Juicers" a thing, like Brewers? Then again, that makes them sound like roid users.

1. Orlando has already had one professional baseball club nicknamed the Juice.  The team played one full season in the Senior Professional Baseball Association, a Florida-based winter league that had a minimum age of 32 for catchers and 35 for all other players, debuted in late 1989, and folded nearly halfway through its second season (1990-91, after the Orlando Juice had disbanded).
  2. Yes, a juicer is a thing.  The word is used usually for a device, either manual or electrically powered, that extracts juice from fruits and/or vegetables.
  3. Yes, I was thinking about the use of "juice" as slang for performance-enhancing drugs and of "juicer" as slang for a user of PEDs when I suggested Juice as an Orlando MLB team's nickname.  No, I do not condone PEDs, but I am still very able to imagine how a nickname with potential for an association with PEDs could intimidate opposing teams and their fans.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/13/2019 at 9:54 PM, selgy said:

Toronto? Misquoted city?

Montreal has certainly reached heights just as high as Portland, Vegas, Charlotte. 

I am not speaking as a homer. But I really hope that the Rays don't leave Tampa. I feel as though this is all a negotiation tactic. The Tampa area (and Florida) is a growing market and Tampa will be top 10 in population probably within 10-15 years. If/When the Rays move to Tampa and market better to central Florida (which is extremely difficult when they are in St. Pete due to the extra hour drive), they will expose themselves to another 3-5 million fans in the Orlando market. 

Right now due to the stadiums location (on a peninsula), the Rays rank last with fans within a 30 minute driving radius. 

I am doing the MLB stadium tour and have been to 21 MLB stadiums, and other than KC, the Rays stadium is the furthest away from the core population. Once this is fixed with a new stadium and better location, things will be better. 

The Rays were dealt a bad hand with two sister cities (St. Pete/Tampa) who wanted baseball and one sister city who shouldn't have financially built the stadium jumped the gun. 

So the Rays inherited an already out of date stadium (go watch old videos of Von Hayes hitting balls to see if he could hit the catwalks). An owner Naimoli who didnt believe in spending money on email addresses so that the marketing department could email ticket holders to try and sell tickets (that should summarize him), a stadium that is last in the league with fans within a 30 minute radius of the stadium, and we have all of these outsiders online who aren't familiar with the hurdles that the area needs to deal with telling us how we don't deserve a team. 

How about let this right this time. Build the stadium in the right spot, where the fans actually are. Then you tell us later and see what happens. (not calling you the previous poster out, just years of posters in general). 

As for Charlotte. I think the only thing holding them back from getting expansion (after Oakland and TB settle their stadium situations) is the number of teams in the Eastern timezone. I do think that MLB wants some more west coast to balance out the scheduling. So Portland possibly. But Charlotte to me is a better all around pick as a expansion city. 

And it was all a negotiation tactic. 

Now Stu and the Rays will use relocation as their next tactic. 

They will have valid points to use. But the pros/cons of Tampa Bay versus the others should keep them in the Bay area. 

Hopefully something happens soon 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/01/rays-tampa-montreal-timeshare-plans-nixed-by-mlb.html

Archived