Portland and other MLB expansion name possibilities

Oso

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I realize that Orlando will not be a logical candidate with both the Marlins and Rays in state (and struggling as it is), but I would say Orlando Comets, Wizards, or Rockets for a potential name. Give them a dark purple-light blue-silver color scheme, which would be unique in all of sports AND fit right in with the rest of the Orlando sports landscape (purple = Orlando City and Solar Bears, blue = Magic and Solar Bears to an extent, silver = Magic). 

ExJworW.png

3 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

If Vancouver got a team, Canadians, aka. the C's, would be a no-brainer. The NWL Single A edition already have a major league-looking brand, with the logo, ball cap and uniforms.

5307_vancouver_canadians-cap-2014.png.cf.png

Yeah, no. The Blue Jays would have a fit if another MLB team in an Anglophone city tried to call themselves the Canadians (especially with the perception that Vancouver is less "Canadian" than other cities in the country). The logo is fine, sure, but it's nothing to write home about. "Mounties" is sadly out of the running, due to the RCMP disallowing it. Something tied in with the animals, nature, or history of the region would be cool, and far more original than "Canadians."

4 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

The entire idea of needing a name to be intimidating is silly in all sports. The NFL leader in championships (including pre-Super Bowl) is named after a meat packing company. What's scary about Lakers or Celtics? I've never thought of French Canadiens as being frightening. but maybe I should. 

Point is, Beavers is a great name.

You'll get no argument from me on that front. When I did my undergrad in Portland (Lewis & Clark College, BTW), I saw Ebbets Field Flannels' Beavers caps and shirts all the time. The name has BRAND EQUITY in the area (decades worth), and there are loads of options for unique color schemes (dark green/red, brown/kelly green, dark green/powder, and dark green/lime green, to name a few). It's a win.

If Beavers wasn't an option, "Larks" (as @hettinger_rl recommended), one of @Ark's tree names, or something with wildlife would be good. A deer-themed name would be a good choice:

Portland%20sign.jpg

That's my hat in the ring.

As for it "being too silly and/or weak," baseball isn't really the kind of sport for reinforcing hypermasculinity. The "do burnouts with my matte black 2009 Mustang in the gravel pit at the car show because my mom hugged me too much" type is not the kind of person who'd be focus-grouped in this scenario.

6 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Because Bluejays, Orioles, Cardinals, and orphaned baby bears (Cubs) make me fear the woods. :rolleyes: 

I had a bear cub drop out of a tree behind me, and trust me, I was scared. My uncle charged it screaming and waving a bb gun at the cub and it just walked off into the forest. I had no desire to pet it and be its friend, I wanted to get away as quick as possible.

57 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You'll get no argument from me on that front. When I did my undergrad in Portland (Lewis & Clark College, BTW), I saw Ebbets Field Flannels' Beavers caps and shirts all the time. The name has BRAND EQUITY in the area (decades worth), and there are loads of options for unique color schemes (dark green/red, brown/kelly green, dark green/powder, and dark green/lime green, to name a few). It's a win.

If Beavers wasn't an option, "Larks" (as @hettinger_rl recommended), one of @Ark's tree names, or something with wildlife would be good. A deer-themed name would be a good choice:

I think you need to do a Portland MLB expansion concept, @SFGiants58. ;)

10 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Let's be honest, Charlotte just ponied up for a nice AAA ballpark that isn't convertible and Portland has no temporary venue available.  I really think those cities are low on the pole.

Montreal is clearly #1 on the list, but maybe a city in Mexico could work.  Yes, Mexico City has the population but what about a smaller town like Monterrey?

Thank you.  If Portland had trouble supporting A and AAA baseball, why give them a MLB franchise?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I've always thought Vancouver would be a perfect expansion or relocation city - better than Portland or Montreal, even - but unfortunately it can't really partner with either Portland or Montreal in an expansion. the Mariners would never allow two new Pacific Northwest teams at once, while the Jays would never allow two new Canadian teams at once. They'd be left hoping for either a really strong Charlotte bid, or a dark horse bid from Indianapolis, San Antonio, Nashville, or Vegas (which would be an unmitigated disaster in baseball). 

Much as I'd like a potential Vancouver team to continue the Canadians' identity, as @SFGiants58 mentioned, the Jays would not want another team to try and claim the country as a whole.  Maybe Admirals (too close to Mariners thematically?), Mountaineers (evoking the Mounties without the copyright issues), Columbians, Kodiaks?

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 12:44 PM, RichO said:

Thing is baseball team names in particular are just different. We've got 2 teams explicitly named for the color sock they wore (to say nothing of the Reds), some names that are varying degree of nonsense (Astros, Phillies, Mets, Dodgers, RIP Expos). A couple types of birds that no one would name a team after in any other sport (Blue Jays and Orioles). You aren't naming a team the Twins in another sport either.

The Cubs.

So this tough/intimidating/macho/SportsPeopleAreInsecure whatever quality seems pretty irrelevant when it comes to naming a baseball team, You're kinda left with the ever-squishy "does it feel like a baseball name?"

Beavers works for baseball, and for Portland isn't some Yard Goats, Jumbo Shrimp poseur stuff.

Like @SilverBullet1929 said, it lacks grace. All those names you mentioned have a level of class or majestic quality to them. Portland Beavers is just goofy. There's just no appeal to it at all. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Isn't Northern VA essentially just part of the Washington DC metro area?

Correct. It's just another name for the VA suburbs of DC. With the area's demographics looking much different back then, that group was looking to build a stadium specifically in that area. It would have ended up as Washington regardless.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:03 AM, kimball said:

Interesting article. Basically, there aren't any "promised" teams this go around beside Montreal. Orlando and Northern Virginia who missed out in '98 have the Nats, O's and Rays too close.

I think if you're going to expand the possible cities from 2-3 to 7-8 the list could look somewhat like this ...

1. Montreal
  2. Portland
  3. Las Vegas
  4. San Antonio
  5. Mexico City
  6. Omaha
  7. Salt Lake City
  8. Charlotte

I don't know how much I believe in Mexico City being a prime candidate though? 

It did seem like lip service from Manfred when he said "And I would like to think that Mexico City or some place in Mexico would be another possibility" when asked about possible cities. Like he just didn't want to leave them out of the discussion. I can't imagine them expanding there either, but you never know.

San Antonio is an intriguing one. Their metro area population of 2.4M is larger than Portland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Cleveland, and Milwaukee. Only two metro areas larger than them are without a team- Orlando and Charlotte. Add Austin's metro area pop of 2M, which is an hour away, and you have a strong market. San Antonio is also 3 hours away from Houston, and 4 hours away from Dallas. Can't say they are too close.

On October 19, 2017 at 10:07 PM, daveindc said:

Or maybe even red with green or brown:

Lumberjack.jpg

the-makers-of-dinty-moore%C2%AE-stew-cha

Image result for paul bunyan statue

Bangor Lumberjacks

Image result for bangor lumberjacks players

Image result for bangor lumberjacks choice

And maybe even go with "LumberJax" like the Portland Lacrosse team :D

Image result for lumberjax

Derry Lumberjacks!

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD