Danny the Sheeb

I live in the town of Fort Smith, Arkansas.  When I was 9 (this is in 2012, for anyone keeping track), I decided to create a fictional basketball league made up of teams from different places around and near town.  After a couple of years of just imagining everything, I made a schedule for the 2014-15 season and played the games in my backyard, making up a score and playing the last two minutes or so of each game.  This has continued, with the 2017-18 season starting on December 15 (or 8, I can't remember).  Using the crude tools of my trusty OpenOffice 3.4.1 Drawing, I've created uniforms for all 16 teams, which I will showcase in this series.

When I made my first schedule, I assigned each team a number, just for convenience's sake.  I've come to associate those teams closely with their numbers, which has caused a little weirdness when the league expanded to 16 teams for 2017-18.  I'll be showing uniforms in numerical order.  Other than division, there's no real rhyme or reason to the number values.

EASTERN DIVISION

1. Colton Drive Cardinals (finished)

2. Rogers Hornets

3. Barling Jaguars

4. Chaffee Crossing Bears

5. Fort Chaffee Colonels

6. Van Buren Pointers

7. Zero Street Rockets

8. Heather Moor Eagles

WESTERN DIVISION

9. Phoenix Firebirds

10. Mulberry Heat

11. Roland Lightning

12. Old Greenwood Bulldogs

13. Campus Lions

14. Towson Marshals

15. Jenny Lind Panthers

16. Fianna Warriors

With all that done, on to the Cardinals!

COLTON DRIVE CARDINALS

Of the seven original teams in the league, the Cardinals are one of two to have made the playoffs all five seasons they've been in the league.  That run is highlighted by the 2013-14 championship, in seven games over Mulberry.  The Cardinals have floundered a little bit since, bombing out in the division semifinals or finals.  However, they are led by possibly the most fearsome starting five in the league, PG Justin Kraemer, SG Chris Houghton, PF Kaden Griffith, SF Paul Hardy, and C Denard Jennings.  This team is one of the prime contenders in the league.

(Because it's inevitable that someone will ask "Why does every team have somebody wearing number 1?", I'll explain.  The NOBs are of characters from the 1996 PC game Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.  Yeah, I'm old school, especially for someone born in 2003. :P)

The uniforms take some obvious cues from the Celtics.  The vertically arched wordmark is heck to create on OpenOffice, so this is the only team it's used for.  Also, BFBS.  Not because I like it, but because they would probably have it IRL.

cd1.png

cd2.png

cd3.png

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Hm, interesting idea. Will we be getting logos? I like the red uniform a lot, not sure about the black...

No, sorry (unless they appear on the uniform).  Too hard to create, but I might be able to make the logo for the Hornets (it's pretty out there, but just involves drawing some polygons), just for kicks.

Believe me, I don't like the black either.

ROGERS HORNETS

The Hornets, despite two playoff appearances in the last two seasons, have had little to cheer about in their history.  In seven playoff games, their record is 1-6.  They've also suffered through mediocre regular season play.  They do have MVP candidate SG Roberto Furcal, but his contract will expire after the season, and jumping to an entirely different (and also nonexistent) league is likely.

This is one of my most risky designs.  There are some "out there" touches.  It's not my favorite, but it spices things up.  I may post the logo tomorrow.

(Note: sorry about those weird gray blocks on the side of the gray background.  It was necessary for complicated reasons.)

rog1.png

rog2.png

rog3.png

Here's the Hornets' logo.  My original idea was "retro video game graphics".  Not like 8-bit pixelization, but like...I can't really describe it.  In any case, this is a rough draft.

hornetslogo.png

On 10/22/2017 at 2:52 PM, Danny the Sheeb said:

ROGERS HORNETS

The Hornets, despite two playoff appearances in the last two seasons, have had little to cheer about in their history.  In seven playoff games, their record is 1-6.  They've also suffered through mediocre regular season play.  They do have MVP candidate SG Roberto Furcal, but his contract will expire after the season, and jumping to an entirely different (and also nonexistent) league is likely.

This is one of my most risky designs.  There are some "out there" touches.  It's not my favorite, but it spices things up.  I may post the logo tomorrow.

(Note: sorry about those weird gray blocks on the side of the gray background.  It was necessary for complicated reasons.)

rog1.png

rog2.png

rog3.png

I like the bright yellow jersey, and just the use of that color in general.

Thanks.  It's not supposed to be that bright, highlighter-ish shade of yellow.  Those were made on a separate computer (no Internet access, long story), and I guess something happened to the colors.  The red on the CD black jersey isn't supposed to pop that much, either.

Hmm, interesting logo. :unsure: Really is a rough draft (jokes)

I get you are new to graphic design (it seems like it). I like most of this. Excited to see your improvements. Hopefully when this series is done, you can look back at the Cardinals and see how far you have come. Keep up the good work. 

10 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

Thanks.  It's not supposed to be that bright, highlighter-ish shade of yellow.  Those were made on a separate computer (no Internet access, long story), and I guess something happened to the colors.  The red on the CD black jersey isn't supposed to pop that much, either.

Maybe it wasn't originally supposed to be bright yellow, but I say stick with it. It makes them stand out, especially with the yellow jersey.

3 hours ago, TekkogsSteve said:

They look quite good so far. maybe its just me but I had to really strain my eyes to see the names on the white and yellow  jerseys, yellow more than white but still. I think giving them a black outline would make it pop out more if u wanna stick to those colours.

I know, I'm sorry.  I don't like outlined NOBs (except sometimes).  But it's not the biggest problem.

8 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Maybe it wasn't originally supposed to be bright yellow, but I say stick with it. It makes them stand out, especially with the yellow jersey.

It's the only "real" yellow I have. :P

Thanks for the feedback!

BARLING JAGUARS

Other than a playoff appearance in 2015, the Jags have had very little to cheer about in their history.  Even their playoff appearance in 2017 was dubious, as they set the mark for worst win percentage by a playoff team (going by win percentage since the schedule has fluctuated with the addition of teams).  And in seven postseason games, their mark is 1-6.  But SF Sturgis Finnegan continues to make his name as one of the league's best sharpshooters.  Now if only he had some backup...

Wordmark and colors are, with obvious differences, inspired by their namesakes in Jacksonville.  Actually, in their first season, Barling were the Wolves, but my weird brain warped that into "Jaguars" after only one season.  I think the Wolves' colors were red and something else, I can't remember now.  Maybe I'll mock it up as an addendum.

Note: saturation strikes again.  The teal is not supposed to be that minty.  It's more supposed to be like the teal color on the header line.

bar1.png

bar2.png

bar3.png

CHAFFEE CROSSING BEARS

Little bit of backstory: The Old Greenwood Bulldogs were one of the Original 8 teams, but folded after one year.  The Bears were hurriedly formed to replace them, retaining a good chunk of the Bulldogs' players and management.  The New Bulldogs claim the OG Bulldogs' (couldn't resist the pun) history as theirs, but are not one of the "Original" teams anymore.  Anyway, on to the current Bears.  They hold the dubious distinction of being the only team in the league with zero playoff appearances.  They're in full-on building mode (nothing to rebuild), but SF Orville Hunt does what he can to make the future brighter.

Colors and name are inspired by the Northside (FS) High School Grizzlies.  CC is nowhere near Northside, but never mind that.  The uniforms themselves are simple and tasteful.

This is just the first team with a name/colors cribbed from a high school/college.  I had to take inspiration from where I could.

cc1.png

cc2.png

cc3.png

C+C appreciated!

30 minutes ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

CHAFFEE CROSSING BEARS

Little bit of backstory: The Old Greenwood Bulldogs were one of the Original 8 teams, but folded after one year.  The Bears were hurriedly formed to replace them, retaining a good chunk of the Bulldogs' players and management.  The New Bulldogs claim the OG Bulldogs' (couldn't resist the pun) history as theirs, but are not one of the "Original" teams anymore.  Anyway, on to the current Bears.  They hold the dubious distinction of being the only team in the league with zero playoff appearances.  They're in full-on building mode (nothing to rebuild), but SF Orville Hunt does what he can to make the future brighter.

Colors and name are inspired by the Northside (FS) High School Grizzlies.  CC is nowhere near Northside, but never mind that.  The uniforms themselves are simple and tasteful.

This is just the first team with a name/colors cribbed from a high school/college.  I had to take inspiration from where I could.

cc1.png

cc2.png

cc3.png

C+C appreciated!

I like the color scheme and the contrast-colored shoulders and collar. On the white jersey, however, it looks like their colors are black and red, though, rather than brown and orange.

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I like the color scheme and the contrast-colored shoulders and collar. On the white jersey, however, it looks like their colors are black and red, though, rather than brown and orange.

...They are brown and red.

Sorry, something happened to the color somewhere along the way.  I can't really fix it, though.

Thanks for the compliments.

FORT CHAFFEE COLONELS

One season, one division crown.  An expansion team in 2014-15, the Colonels shocked the league by blazing through the Eastern Division and making it to the Finals.  There, they fell short in six games, but their legend was cemented.  The next year, they fell short in the Division Finals, losing the deciding Game 6 on a buzzer-beater that went in...after the clock had gone off.  The next year, they hit rock bottom, imploding and finishing last in the East.  Rebuilding time.

find the secret message

The uniforms themselves are simple, not really any frills.  More of @MCM0313's neon yellow.

fc1.png

fc2.png

17 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

FORT CHAFFEE COLONELS

One season, one division crown.  An expansion team in 2014-15, the Colonels shocked the league by blazing through the Eastern Division and making it to the Finals.  There, they fell short in six games, but their legend was cemented.  The next year, they fell short in the Division Finals, losing the deciding Game 6 on a buzzer-beater that went in...after the clock had gone off.  The next year, they hit rock bottom, imploding and finishing last in the East.  Rebuilding time.

find the secret message

The uniforms themselves are simple, not really any frills.  More of @MCM0313's neon yellow.

fc1.png

fc2.png

As long as their blue is dark royal and not navy. As an Ohioan, I am allergic to yellow paired with navy blue. ;)

9 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

As long as their blue is dark royal and not navy. As an Ohioan, I am allergic to yellow paired with navy blue. ;)

Sorry. :P

I have no clue why this color nonsense is happening, but I don't think that I can fix it.  I'm going to have to start saying what the teams' real colors are when I show them.

7 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

Sorry. :P

I have no clue why this color nonsense is happening, but I don't think that I can fix it.  I'm going to have to start saying what the teams' real colors are when I show them.

If you have RGB coordinates, that could be enough.

22 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

If you have RGB coordinates, that could be enough.

I freely admit, I have no idea what you're talking about.  I know what RGB coordinates are, but what are you implying?  I'm not very computer smart.

VAN BUREN POINTERS

The league's wannabe bluebloods.  After losing the 2015 Eastern Finals, the Pointers traded for veteran SF Mike Stephenson, went on a tear, and went to the league finals.  There, they won the first game...and lost the next four to Mulberry.  The next year, the Pointers steamrolled through the short (16-game) regular season, losing only once (to Mulberry).  They shoved through the Eastern playoffs, making it to their second straight Finals.  There, they won the first two games...and lost the next four.

To Mulberry. :P

Name and colors are taken from VBHS.  Colors are dark green, black, and white.

Any and all C+C appreciated!

vb1.png

vb2.png

vb3.png

Archived