MLS Expansion Team Project - Joe Bosack Sports Branding Workshop

Ross_Shafer

Recently, I participated in the Fuse Sessions Sport Branding Workshop with Joe Bosack. During the workshop Joe guided us through a quick history of sport branding, his professional experience and gave us some great information on how to concept and design sport identities.

For the workshop, I chose to create a new an identity for a new MLS Expansion team in Nashville. The final mark was inspired by Nashville's music scene, printing/letterpress studios and the Gateway bridge. The color scheme was pulled from the neon signs that line Broadway.

Nashville_SC_05.thumb.jpg.ee8e80ecb75b21fd57f76f714f358a1e.jpg

Fuse-03.thumb.jpg.6e70176f7125fd5cc45886d9c284cd6f.jpg

Art Director at Lodge Design • Indianapolis, IN

- - - - - - - - - -

www.wechoosetogotothemoondesign.com

@HRC4 @Zeus89725 Thanks for the kind words.

Understandable, it is a little odd. It's actually one of my favorite parts of the logo. The weight change is intentional and is inspired by letter press studios (mainly Hatch Show Print) in Nashville. If you look at examples of letterpress work, weight changes within words are very common. I think this adds a little more seperation from other logos within the sport and connects it even more to Nashville.

- - - - - - - - - -

Sorry, it looks like a mistake or oversight. I think that if you have to go into a deep explanation of why a design element is like it is, you've lost. You're not going to get to explain to everybody. It's like having to explain a joke.

Nice otherwise.

We will have to agree to disagree on the SC typeface weights ;) I don't believe that every detail needs to be immediately recognized. There are lots of ways to reinforce that meaning without having to explain it. For instance, if I were to expand this brand (field designs, jerseys, wall graphics, merch, etc.) I could definitely see that "letterpress" style expand into all different mediums. Personally I love the asymmetry it creates and it is something that is definitely unique from other MLS marks.

Thanks everyone! It was a fun project to work on and if you ever get a chance to see Joe in person at a conference/workshop... DO IT! 

- - - - - - - - - -

If you're gonna do the letterpress style, it needs to be worked into the rest of the logo. As it stands, the SC typeface weight difference doesn't work. And looking through Hatch Show Print's posters, you really don't see such a difference in font weights (http://hatchshowprint.com/latest#.Wfi9gUyZOek). The couple times that you do see it, it's a purely typography only poster and the design as a whole flows together and works together as an overall design. Fix that SC and this is a spot on logo. 

Have to echo everyone on the SC. I get being really attached to a unique idea you come up with, and I tend to agree that not every detail needs to be immediately recognized, but it's such a focal point of the logo and really draws the eye to it. Only other thing I'd mention is maybe bump up the bridge slightly so the Nashville type doesn't have to be so elongated. 

Beyond those two points, it's really a beautiful mark, both in concept and in execution. Very jealous you were taught by Joe, that must have been an awesome day.

Awesome design. Really screams Nashville in a modern way. I can dig your explanation of the SC mark, but it really distracted me. I think if you're wanting to implement the letterpress variance, you'd have to do it with the Nashville wordmark as well. Otherwise it looks way too out of place. Combine the two font styles for more of a vintage lettering on a modern logo. Overall design is top notch!

On 10/31/2017 at 1:02 PM, Ross_Shafer said:

We will have to agree to disagree on the SC typeface weights ;) I don't believe that every detail needs to be immediately recognized. There are lots of ways to reinforce that meaning without having to explain it. For instance, if I were to expand this brand (field designs, jerseys, wall graphics, merch, etc.) I could definitely see that "letterpress" style expand into all different mediums. Personally I love the asymmetry it creates and it is something that is definitely unique from other MLS marks.

Thanks everyone! It was a fun project to work on and if you ever get a chance to see Joe in person at a conference/workshop... DO IT! 

So basically, what you’re saying is...

CF2A2CFD-597F-4FAB-B470-7ECF4C642D7C.jpeg.7c2fb0a65992a872c5772dda2586dd3c.jpeg

• 1 month later...

What a cool and fresh overall logo shape for an MLS team and Soccer in general!

Also, good job integrating local themes/icons in it.

As Steelman already said,  the different S C parts also throw me off, however it might be offset if you'd to the "Nashville" word mark in a similar style.

Archived