New Flying VT, but not for Athletic Dept.

Waffles

https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2017/09/vtnews-intro-main.html

Virginia Tech has introduced its new school logo, which is very much inspired by the athletic logo but also is not replacing the similar athletic logo:

image.png

Brand New has a good breakdown here: https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_for_virginia_tech.php

On 10/31/2017 at 10:24 AM, McCarthy said:

Doesn't fix the issue with the VT logo - the T is italicized while the V isn't. 

That's not a mistake though, it's a 100% intentional way to play off of the negatie space of the V. If the T were unitalicized the logo would look much  less dynamic than the current logo we see now. 

spacer.png

It's not uncommon for schools to want to retain an academic identity separate from its athletic identity.  The needs of the two don't always overlap, and it's important to recognize that a school is more than just a collection of sports programs.  Well, maybe not Miami....  ;)

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It's not uncommon for schools to want to retain an academic identity separate from its athletic identity.  The needs of the two don't always overlap, and it's important to recognize that a school is more than just a collection of sports programs.  Well, maybe not Miami....  ;)

I get that, but a school's sports programs are part of the school, and in almost all cases funded by the school. Not to mention that to most people, in most cases, the athletic identity is the most visible and recognized brand of a school.

I'm not saying that, for example, UMass Lowell has to put the River Hawk on everything. But, they could put the wordmark on things, and possibly incorporate the academic UMass Lowell into the athletic gear (as a hip logo or something).

FIU does this by putting the "FIU" text that they use for athletics on everything, but not necessarily the panther.

(Yes I chose those two because I went to them.)

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Archived