2018 Winter Olympics Hockey Uniforms

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

I don't like that both teams are in the same template....

Agreed...I really don't like the templating of an international tournament like the Winter Olympics. To me, it takes away from the spirit of the event, when teams just look like variations of each other. I get the economic argument of doing it this way, but I'd rather see each country design its own uniform and then let the supplier take it from there...especially when said supplier churns out this crap.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/1/2017 at 12:28 PM, tajmccall said:

Who was the sleeper cell Adidas designer that snuck over to Nike?  Or is Hockey so far down their radar they're letting Phil's "Woke" Nephew design these from his luxurious dormroom

The bald eagle feathers on the USA sweater are shards of glass on the Canada sweater from Justin Trudeau breaking the glass ceiling on behalf of women. 

Looking at the unveiling of the Olympic jerseys for Team Canada & Team USA. It’s a shame that many of NHL players won’t be wearing them 

No it isn't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I feel like a couple of Russian players are going to accidentally wear their practice jerseys to the games... And somehow, no one (except us of course) will notice. 

Why? Why would you make it look like a practice jersey????

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

And the rest:

IMG_6710.thumb.JPG.030a04353578737d737406aadabeced1.JPGIMG_6707.thumb.JPG.589b9e1569f1b44c9337a79ae3b04658.JPGIMG_6709.thumb.JPG.b376e3f021ec12eeb76d9b0fd92c23da.JPGIMG_6708.thumb.JPG.11c09333c7859884d0e26fbb67dd0c95.JPG

I didnt realize how how many bald eagles there were in South Korea... or Finland... or Slovakia... or Japan... or Germany...

Where do you see an eagle on the Finland jersey? Or even a description saying they used something from an eagle on the jersey?

"A tie-down strap connects the jersey to the shorts." Wow! Nike's world-class innovation strikes again!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 2017-11-01 at 12:44 PM, NoE38 said:

I'm not sure why Canada is so sure that black needs to be a colour on the jerseys. Red and white are the national colours, and they should be the only ones on the jersey. This was the perfect look for me:

Image result for canada 2010 olympic hockey

I don't understand how anyone can think it's a good idea to put both sides of arguably the biggest international hockey rivalry in the same jersey.

Blacks been on Canadian sports uniforms forever. Just because it's not on the flag doesn't make it not a national colour. Look at Italy's blue and the Netherlands orange.

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Blacks been on Canadian sports uniforms forever. Just because it's not on the flag doesn't make it not a national colour. Look at Italy's blue and the Netherlands orange.

Those are some good points, but those have historical/cultural connections to their respective countries. The Netherlands' flag used to be Orange, same as Blue for Italy. As a Canadian, I don't feel like Black is representative of my country. Black hasn't been on any of our flags or coat of arms. Red and white are the only colours that should be on a team Canada jersey.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

44 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Orange is the colour of the Dutch Royal family. Hence the orange. 

Italy used to be a monarchy, and their Royal family was associated with blue. Using blue for international competition was just one of the things they kept after becoming a republic. 

Canada using black consistently is both relatively recent (previous to the 1990s Canada used green, blue, or gold to compliment red and white, or just used red and white by itself) and a marketing decision. Not a choice rooted in the aesthetic history of the country. 

If you wanted to use the Italy/Neatherlands justification to add a colour to red and white? You’d probably go back to the colours Canadian national teams used prior to the adoption of black; blue, gold, or green. 

3 hours ago, NoE38 said:

Those are some good points, but those have historical/cultural connections to their respective countries. The Netherlands' flag used to be Orange, same as Blue for Italy. As a Canadian, I don't feel like Black is representative of my country. Black hasn't been on any of our flags or coat of arms. Red and white are the only colours that should be on a team Canada jersey.

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Orange is the colour of the Dutch Royal family. Hence the orange. 

Italy used to be a monarchy, and their Royal family was associated with blue. Using blue for international competition was just one of the things they kept after becoming a republic. 

Canada using black consistently is both relatively recent (previous to the 1990s Canada used green, blue, or gold to compliment red and white, or just used red and white by itself) and a marketing decision. Not a choice rooted in the aesthetic history of the country. 

If you wanted to use the Italy/Neatherlands justification to add a colour to red and white? You’d probably go back to the colours Canadian national teams used prior to the adoption of black; blue, gold, or green. 

I'm aware of the historical context for Italy and Netherlands wearing their respective colours. For a different example, I could use Australia or New Zealand, both using colours on their sports uniforms not found on their flags. Black has been a part of Canadian sports teams for awhile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_colours_of_Canada#Sport

Slovenia is wearing blue and green, yet their flag is red and blue. Either this is a tragedy of the highest calibre, or country's shouldn't have to religiously adhere to the colours on their flag.

There is zero problem with a country using colours not on their flags as part of their national identity and branding. If anything it allows countries to forge a stronger identity since so many uniforms will look generic if they're just copying the same boring flag colours nearly every nation uses. 

3 hours ago, NoE38 said:

I liken it to what Air Canada did recently, moving to a predominantly black and white scheme that is very much intended to evoke mountains and snow, with red as an accent.

if you’re worried about historical precedent, they wore a lot of black in the 1920 Olympics for sure.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Korea's lettering looks like an alarm clock to pay tribute to having to wake up in the middle of the night to watch their Olympics.

I feel like a Team Canada jersey should be red and white, equal parts Leafs and Habs. So double stripes at the hems and sleeves but also a belly stripe?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived