2018 Winter Olympics Hockey Uniforms

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/3/2017 at 8:23 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Australia uses blue, gold, and green. Blue and gold being the country's heraldic colours. Granted green is just there for aesthetics, but it doesn't seem as trendy as Canada adding black does.

As far as NZ using black? I honestly don't know why, but at least they committed to it. They didn't add black to their flag's colour scheme.

I'm not saying countries should religiously adhere to the colours on their flag. In fact the post of mine you quoted had me saying that Canada would probably look great if they complimented the red and white with blue, gold, or green. All of those options have been used by Canada in the past, and all have more of a reason to be used then black does. With blue, green, and gold appearing on the country's coat of arms, and the flags and emblems of the Provinces and Territories.

So no, I'm not saying Canada should just be red and white. I'm saying that I would rather they use colour schemes more in line with these examples...

olZR7G3.jpg

RHZ6R8g.jpg

0R0Z0y9.jpg

uMlrQit.png

moZ7Oag.jpg

Again, I would counter with, “Why not black?”

DB6683B5-3DC3-46F7-AE25-182DB5FD95D5.jpeg.959606043b3bac0bd5cf918be7ab449e.jpeg77667B9A-D30F-4800-B4F0-C99831A3A90C.jpeg.190403d18aa001e2a33274b19ccee38c.jpeg3A821526-18C5-46F9-8B45-69110BDA6418.thumb.jpeg.b54897b9de45b3419ac5573a22fe225f.jpegF9FF1D7A-6A7E-459F-8E94-5DA2A909D82E.jpeg.6137982d8dfce8f1ce8713451967e48c.jpeg9E1FEE36-F27F-4EFB-AB33-6C49453DAE4E.jpeg.9f11848a53c53de1881ced96283c626a.jpeg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

9 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I just saw this, but Nike says South Korea’s number and name font is inspired by origami...which happens to be Japanese, not South Korean.

We do also have origami, but we don't call it origami. we call it "종이접기" which translates to "paper folding" but yes, it isn't an iconic Korean thing as origami is to Japan.

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Again, I would counter with, “Why not black?”

I doubt anyone referenced those sources when they added black to Canada’s uniforms. Hell, most of those pics can make a case for blue or green as well as black.

While it’s true black had been used by Canada prior to the 1990s? It was either a result of early Olympic quirks (early national teams were just amateur clubs who represented the country and would wear their own colours) or just using non-descript equipment (the 1972 Summit Series team). 

Black as an integrated part of Canada’s uniforms only really became a consistent occurrence once the 1990s arrived. Which is, perhaps not coincidently, when sports identities began to be dictated by what sold. And black proved to be very popular with consumers as a whole; i.e. black for black’s sake. 

So I don’t view black as an organic part of my country’s aetheric identity. It was just slapped on because red and white wasn’t enough and black was popular/sells merch so why not? 

I don’t mind it at all when the sweaters and socks are mostly red and white, with black limited to the gloves, pants, helmet, and maybe some number outlines. That’s fine. Black as an integrated part of the sweaters though? I just don’t care for it. 

On 2017-11-03 at 9:55 PM, ColeJ said:

dont like canada in red white and blue... at all...

On 2017-11-04 at 7:14 AM, Chromatic said:

The absolute last colour Canada should use in a tertiary capacity is blue.

Sorry, I just see too many upsides to Canada using a light royal blue as a compliment to red and white. 

First off? Blue appears on most Provincial flags or coats of arms, as well as Canada’s national coat of arms. It’s already a “national” colour in that sense. 

Secondly? It’s reminiscent of the country’s two “founding peoples.” Blue can be seen as reflective of either the British Union Jack or the old flag of the Kingdom of France. If you’re an Anglophone? The blue could mean something to you. If you’re a Francophone? It could mean something else. 

Finally? Canada’s national motto is “A Mari Usque Ad Mare.” Latin for “From Sea to Sea.” So using a bit of blue isn’t that out there.

9 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I doubt anyone referenced those sources when they added black to Canada’s uniforms. Hell, most of those pics can make a case for blue or green as well as black.

While it’s true black had been used by Canada prior to the 1990s? It was either a result of early Olympic quirks (early national teams were just amateur clubs who represented the country and would wear their own colours) or just using non-descript equipment (the 1972 Summit Series team). 

Black as an integrated part of Canada’s uniforms only really became a consistent occurrence once the 1990s arrived. Which is, perhaps not coincidently, when sports identities began to be dictated by what sold. And black proved to be very popular with consumers as a whole; i.e. black for black’s sake. 

So I don’t view black as an organic part of my country’s aetheric identity. It was just slapped on because red and white wasn’t enough and black was popular/sells merch so why not? 

I don’t mind it at all when the sweaters and socks are mostly red and white, with black limited to the gloves, pants, helmet, and maybe some number outlines. That’s fine. Black as an integrated part of the sweaters though? I just don’t care for it. 

Sorry, I just see too many upsides to Canada using a light royal blue as a compliment to red and white. 

First off? Blue appears on most Provincial flags or coats of arms, as well as Canada’s national coat of arms. It’s already a “national” colour in that sense. 

Secondly? It’s reminiscent of the country’s two “founding peoples.” Blue can be seen as reflective of either the British Union Jack or the old flag of the Kingdom of France. If you’re an Anglophone? The blue could mean something to you. If you’re a Francophone? It could mean something else. 

Finally? Canada’s national motto is “A Mari Usque Ad Mare.” Latin for “From Sea to Sea.” So using a bit of blue isn’t that out there.

Regardless of how it came about back then, my point is the same types of cases can be built for black as for blue or green. There are black symbols and landmarks, and they’re probably some of the most outward facing symbols of the country. There’s a reason Air Canada made black its primary color, and in 2017, that type of decision isn’t made nearly as arbitrarily as it was in the 1990s.

I’d also argue that red, white, and black gives Canada its own unique identity in international hockey, whereas red with white and royal blue puts them closer to Russia and the Czechs. Personally, I’m a fan of keeping the jerseys and socks mostly red and white, and leaving black for the helmets, gloves, and pants, maybe some lettering or minor trim elements on the jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

10 hours ago, KOREA said:

We do also have origami, but we don't call it origami. we call it "종이접기" which translates to "paper folding" but yes, it isn't an iconic Korean thing as origami is to Japan.

No less an authority than KOREA chiming in here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived