Jump to content

women's volleyball shorts in NCAA


4_tattoos
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have the Big Ten Network and regularly watch women's volleyball matches that air during the week. There's an odd thing I've noticed. All the teams wear black shorts. No matter what the school's colors are, black shorts. Is there a reason for that? Is it just a Big Ten thing?

 

SN: Right now both teams (Penn State and Michigan State) are wearing  loose, long sleeve jerseys with those little compression shorts. Is women's volleyball dependent on the perv demographic to tune in? Seems like there's no reason they couldn't wear longer and possibly even looser shorts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Black short for volleyball are not mandatory. However, most manufacturers do not make them in a lot of colors. Besides black, you may see red navy or royal, but not much else. I've seen purple on ECU, but that's about as wild as they get.

 

As for the jerseys, they aren't really loose. They are typically form fitting. That being said, some players may wear a size up so they aren't tight, but they aren't loose. Volleyball players wear their uniforms tight so they don't get in the net. Loose uniforms can get caught, which could be dangerous. It would also cost them a point.

 

Even the men wear a more form fitting uniform. It's typically a sleeveless shirt and board shorts, as opposed to baggy basketball shorts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I have the Big Ten Network and regularly watch women's volleyball matches that air during the week. There's an odd thing I've noticed. All the teams wear black shorts. No matter what the school's colors are, black shorts. Is there a reason for that? Is it just a Big Ten thing?

 

SN: Right now both teams (Penn State and Michigan State) are wearing  loose, long sleeve jerseys with those little compression shorts. Is women's volleyball dependent on the perv demographic to tune in? Seems like there's no reason they couldn't wear longer and possibly even looser shorts.

 

Black is just the trend. Volleyball shorts come in all sorts of colors. Penn State, Michigan, and Illinois all wear navy. Minnesota used to wear maroon. I assume the use of dark colors is to somewhat mitigate the “perv factor.”

 

Volleyball uniforms tend to be relative form fitting helps keep you out of the net and also make it easier for sprawling around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve seen them in various colors as well, but the girls prefer black. One of the high schools here switched to royal blue this season. During a photo shoot one of the players said she was petrified just thinking about wearing them. I asked why? She responded “butt sweat.” I nearly fell down lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:13 PM, Ben5 said:

As for the jerseys, they aren't really loose. They are typically form fitting. That being said, some players may wear a size up so they aren't tight, but they aren't loose. Volleyball players wear their uniforms tight so they don't get in the net. Loose uniforms can get caught, which could be dangerous. It would also cost them a point.

I don't know if I agree about players wearing long sleeved jerseys that are a size up. To me if that were the case the sleeves of the jerseys would be longer than they appear to be. At the very least running past the wrists. I watch these games in high def, and the jerseys appear to be practically tailored to each individual player's arm length. Never see any rolled up sleeves or sleeves that appear to be cut. In the world of sports/fitness apparel, there's pretty much two fits. Either compressed or loose. I'd categorize every long sleeved jersey I've seen watching Big Ten volleyball games as being loose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

I don't know if I agree about players wearing long sleeved jerseys that are a size up. To me if that were the case the sleeves of the jerseys would be longer than they appear to be. At the very least running past the wrists. I watch these games in high def, and the jerseys appear to be practically tailored to each individual player's arm length. Never see any rolled up sleeves or sleeves that appear to be cut. In the world of sports/fitness apparel, there's pretty much two fits. Either compressed or loose. I'd categorize every long sleeved jersey I've seen watching Big Ten volleyball games as being loose.

There are several fits in the world of fitness apparel.. Off the top of my head, I know that Adidas apparel comes in at least 4 fits in the team catalog (loose, regular, slim, compression), and I know Nike has a fit called "fitted" that is form-fitting and cut to the shape of the body, while still being somewhat loose and non-restrictive (similar to the Oregon jerseys above, maybe between that and the auburn ones).. 

As for sleeve length, I doubt a single size up would result in noticeably longer sleeves.. I have two shirts that are Adidas slim fit (borderline fitted), one is a red L and one is a white XL, and it took over a year of me wearing each of them almost weekly before I realized they're different sizes.. A "perfect" sleeve length is not going to be much different than one slightly longer, especially on a more form-fitting garment..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

I've never watched college volleyball, but I watch a fair share of international volleyball and I don't recall ever seeing anything but tank tops or at most short sleeves. Any reason why they wear long sleeves in college?

For international, I can't find any rule against them so must be preference.  As for college and many others levels, long sleeves help prevent floor burns when sliding and protect the arms from harder hit balls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I don't know if I agree about players wearing long sleeved jerseys that are a size up. To me if that were the case the sleeves of the jerseys would be longer than they appear to be. At the very least running past the wrists. I watch these games in high def, and the jerseys appear to be practically tailored to each individual player's arm length. Never see any rolled up sleeves or sleeves that appear to be cut. In the world of sports/fitness apparel, there's pretty much two fits. Either compressed or loose. I'd categorize every long sleeved jersey I've seen watching Big Ten volleyball games as being loose.

 

I watch these games in person. Some role their sleeves up. And there is a third fit for women: fitted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:59 AM, Webfooter said:

For international, I can't find any rule against them so must be preference.  As for college and many others levels, long sleeves help prevent floor burns when sliding and protect the arms from harder hit balls.

This may be going off topic, but what type of floor is International Volleyball usually played on? Whenever I see an Olympic matches or random televised FIVB events, it's never played on hardwood like NCAA and high school volleyball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

This may be going off topic, but what type of floor is International Volleyball usually played on? Whenever I see an Olympic matches or random televised FIVB events, it's never played on hardwood like NCAA and high school volleyball.

According to FIVB rules, it looks like all floors have to be a synthetic/vinyl flooring.

 

http://www.fivb.org/en/technical-coach/Document/FIVB_Technical_Homologated_Equipment_24022015.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

This may be going off topic, but what type of floor is International Volleyball usually played on? Whenever I see an Olympic matches or random televised FIVB events, it's never played on hardwood like NCAA and high school volleyball.

Not every NCAA team plays on a wood floor. Sure, those teams who play in the basketball arena where you can see the actual or outline of the floor lines are obvious but SportCourt, which provides the flooring for next month's NCAA Championships from the regional onward, has two "wood finish" options for their plastic courts (light or dark maple).

 

This isn't a wood floor.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.