labc93

2018 MLS Kits

11 hours ago, agentrygraphics said:

Great to see that Nike let them customize their look a bit more this year. The home looks awesome. The change kit looks a bit weird with the white chest strip behind the Toyota logo.

Now...hopefully before they jump to MLS they'll drop that that odd ball-accent on the top of their logo.

That odd ball accent is meant to make the crown on the top of the logo also double as a soccer ball. I agree it maybe could be refined a bit, but I do like the idea.

k7zbDOf.png

2 hours ago, M4One said:

The Whitecaps say that it's steel grey as a nod to ironworkers and as a tribute to the 60th anniversary of the death of 18 workers during the construction of the Second Narrows Bridge which collapsed.

Now that there is a reason for the colour, I'm fine with it.

I don't mind that as an explanation, but if that was such a key part of their reasoning, I think they ought to have included it in their promotional graphics and videos for the jersey. It's a shame they didn't, this city has grown so much I feel like the majority of the population doesn't even know about the collapse. Also, if they are going to discuss the accident, they should probably include recognition of the diver who drowned while recovering the bodies. 

8 hours ago, M4One said:

The Whitecaps say that it's steel grey as a nod to ironworkers and as a tribute to the 60th anniversary of the death of 18 workers during the construction of the Second Narrows Bridge which collapsed.

Now that there is a reason for the colour, I'm fine with it.

Thats just retrofitted marketing speak designed to support the choices already made.  You’re not supposed to actually take it seriously. 

10 hours ago, nas1787 said:

That odd ball accent is meant to make the crown on the top of the logo also double as a soccer ball. I agree it maybe could be refined a bit, but I do like the idea.

k7zbDOf.png

source.gif

Wow really? I thought that was pretty obvious right away. Should they move to MLS I'd like to see them enlarge the winged lion and then put the FC Cincinnati in a ribbon or banner below that. It's weird that the FC takes precedent in the visual hierarchy. 

Here was my attempt at an FC Cincinnati concept: https://www.behance.net/gallery/59179595/FC-Cincinnati-Concept

34 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

Yes let's throwback to the early days of MLS

Clash_Changes.png

This is the point where I'm actually glad to be a fan of a recent expansion club.  ;) 

50 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Wow really? I thought that was pretty obvious right away. Should they move to MLS I'd like to see them enlarge the winged lion and then put the FC Cincinnati in a ribbon or banner below that. It's weird that the FC takes precedent in the visual hierarchy. 

Yeah I thought the ball/crown thing was pretty obvious.

I love the idea, but I'm not a huge fan of the execution, largely because it ends up with the one large element floating above the rest of the badge.  It's a bit unbalanced, but as you note so is the FC.

14 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The Timbers just announced that they’ve extended their partnership with Alaska Airlines:

As a Timbers fan, this makes me really happy to hear. They’ve been a terrific partner, supporting the club’s charity and other community-related initiatives, as well as their youth camps. Plus, their logo, especially the newest version, is pretty unobtrusive and really doesn’t detract too much from the overall look of the kits.

Are they still doing the wear your Timbers gear get on first promotions?

14 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Is it possible that Adidas sees MLS as just a lower tier and thus doesn't want to commit serious resources to it? Or could the World Cup be effecting it? I'm not sure which (if any) teams they are working on for that. I don't know, just spit balling. But there was one guy on a fan blog trying to argue that Adidas could've accelerated their timeframe for the MNUFC due to sales and given them the wing this year, but the claims all seemed based upon the idea that the MLS (and namely MNUFC) were this high priority client.

For the amount of money they paid to remain the sole kit provider they should have put more effort into this. The World Cup cycle shouldn't have affected kits this year as they would have been on the drawing board since before last year. Since this would have been the last year they may have mailed it in to focus on other projects. If that's the case it's a pretty poor relationship to have with a major client. 

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Are they still doing the wear your Timbers gear get on first promotions?

I believe so. I think I read somewhere awhile ago that it’s only offered when leaving PDX, but I could be wrong on that.

1 hour ago, Pharos04 said:

Yes let's throwback to the early days of MLS

Clash_Changes.png

Good reminder that templating is not strictly a recent scourge.

also so many of these kits could be brought back through the lens of Adidas’s current Urban Outfitters throwback aesthetic.

That's why I started to hate going to one supplier. In the beginning adidas tried novel ways to put the three stripes on the kits. Now you know it will be on the shoulders or sides depending on what year they are making that kit. Nike also made those jerseys as teamwear, though it was one color and white so they looked like AYSO kits for adults. 

54 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That's why I started to hate going to one supplier.

I get that, but pooling the contract means more money for the league.  Can't fault them there.

The new Fire primary officially unveiled:

2018_0110_2018%20Fire%20Primary%20Closeu2018_0110_2018%20Fire%20Primary%20Closeu

2018_0110_2018%20Fire%20Primary%20Closeu

Definitely one of the better kits that’ve been released so far, and one of the Fire’s best primary kits in recent times. I still feel like the navy Adidas stripes look a bit out of place though, so I wish they had made the collar and cuffs navy with white trim. That would’ve made it closer to the original 1998 kit anyways, so it seems like a missed opportunity there.

Call me oblivious.  What's the significance of having the second star of the 4 Chicago stars to be red instead of white?  Highlighting the "second decade" or something?

I like it a lot.  But that sponsor logo - woof.  The letters are too tall to be that thin and spindly.

Love that double-star, but why is it the second one?  Of their four MLS Championships (1998, 2000, 2003, 2006), the first and third were doubles (Open Cup and Supporters' Shield, respectively).

4 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

Call me oblivious.  What's the significance of having the second star of the 4 Chicago stars to be red instead of white?  Highlighting the "second decade" or something?

Their first championship (1998) was a double with the US Open Cup.  Presume that's what they mean, since they also have a 20-year logo for it.  Maybe they're not counting the stars in a linear row, but working outward from the center?

Is is rather appropriate that they have four championships to commemorate.

1228_chicago.jpg

the second star (as always for this team) is red in remembrance of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.

from the mothership...it makes sense.  I always forget the 4 stars are for major events in Chicago History (Founding of Fort Dearborn, the Great Chicago Fire, the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, and the Century of Progress Exposition of 1933-1934)

And there was a movement to add a fifth in the event Chicago has been awarded the Olympics.