2018 MLS Kits

labc93

16 hours ago, Roger Clemente said:

I actually visited the team boutique at Stade Saputo today and asked about a new kit and they said the Impact are not getting one this year. The one Adidas proposed was apparently "so ugly they rejected it", so nothing will be different in Montreal this year.

That's not entirely accurate: http://news.sportslogos.net/2018/02/09/montreal-impact-add-silver-25th-logo-to-2018-kit/

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

either way I like Montreal's home kits so I'm not upset to see them stay an extra year, even though it's rare now. But yeah I wish they had either come up with a special crest for the anniversary instead of the usual crest (like how Swansea went with that gold set up a few years ago for an anniversary of theirs), or put the special patch they have on the sleeve. As it stands the top front is too damn busy.

spacer.png

21 hours ago, Roger Clemente said:

I actually visited the team boutique at Stade Saputo today and asked about a new kit and they said the Impact are not getting one this year. The one Adidas proposed was apparently "so ugly they rejected it", so nothing will be different in Montreal this year.

Did you get any more details about the scrapped design? I would honestly love to see a uniform “so ugly that the team rejected it”

ExJworW.png

On 2/9/2018 at 6:35 PM, upperV03 said:

San Jose did it with their blue/black/blue home kits, keeping them from 2014-2016. But yeah, other than that and the Impact now keeping their primaries around for a third season, it is pretty rare nowadays. I’m just hoping they’re not planning to move away from the striped kits next season, and so they wanted to wait until after their 25th anniversary season to make that change. It’d be a real shame to see them go back to the generic blue kits they used to have because their current primaries are one of the better and more unique looks in the league.

The Crew did it with their black uniforms the last 3 years also (granted they were forced into it after the fan backlash from the Columbus flag atrocities). 

spacer.png

San Jose away officially revealed:

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/2018/02/11/photo-gallery-2018-navy-seal-foundation-jersey

Even though the pattern is recycled from the Russia confed cup shirt, I think it looks pretty nice here. I was hoping they’d go with blue shorts, but unfortunately they’re going all-white.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

And now the new Minnesota primary officially revealed:

DVx_YA-UMAAf_ya?format=jpg

MNUFC%20Ramirez.jpg

DVx9cYkUQAAAjSS?format=jpg

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2018/02/10/2018-kit

It looks like the socks are the same shade of gray as the lighter stripes on the shirt, which is a big mistake IMO. And between last year’s sash and this year’s tonal vertical stripes, I think the light blue sash is a better and more unique element for them. The darker gray base of this year’s kit is an improvement, and I like the henley collar with red button, as well as the jocktag, but I’m not too fond of the design as a whole. Also, it looks like the players had white/very light gray numbers on at the unveiling, and the jerseys on the MLS Store seem to confirm that that’s what they’re using with the new kit instead of light blue:

zOpiSdx.jpg

At the very least the white/light gray names and numbers tie in better with the Target logo, and they’re more legible than the light blue they used last season.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I prefer the new MNU kit to last years. Last year it was too much solid color with nothing to break it up, and I wasn't big on the angled stripe. I think the stripes here work because it helps to break it up, and I dig the henley collar and red button. I still want them to go with the wings because that's a look that no other club could take, but yeah if they were to do anything other than the wings, I would've wanted something pretty much like what they went with. 

spacer.png

Does anyone know why they haven't done the wings in MLS? They had a classic look to begin with, I don't understand. Is it Adidas refusing? Or is the club hesitant? I just don't understand, because seemingly everyone wants the wings back but aren't doing it. Still a fan of the new kit, but I just don't understand why they'd continue to anger their supporters like this. 

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

Does anyone know why they haven't done the wings in MLS? They had a classic look to begin with, I don't understand. Is it Adidas refusing? Or is the club hesitant? I just don't understand, because seemingly everyone wants the wings back but aren't doing it. Still a fan of the new kit, but I just don't understand why they'd continue to anger their supporters like this. 

Because of the time it takes to have such a custom kit created. We knew it wasn't going to happen the first 2 seasons. 

24 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

Worst thing of the new kit is leaving the back blank, it's pointless with tonal stripes. though I do have to say tonal grey vertical stripes give me an uncomfortable Boy in The Striped Pajamas vibe

adidas does that with all of their MLS kits as well as the teamwear line. Sunderland got it worse than Minny did. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

adidas does that with all of their MLS kits as well as the teamwear line. Sunderland got it worse than Minny did. 

Are you talking about the backs being blank? Because I think that's an MLS (and various other leagues) rule. Dallas back when they wore hoops for instance, never went all the way around and same goes for SKC's hooped kit from a while back. And when the US had those hooped kits, the back was blank for those as well, except on the replicas. Seems like it's totally fine in Italy though. 

1 hour ago, WarriorFight said:

I prefer the new MNU kit to last years. Last year it was too much solid color with nothing to break it up, and I wasn't big on the angled stripe. I think the stripes here work because it helps to break it up, and I dig the henley collar and red button. I still want them to go with the wings because that's a look that no other club could take, but yeah if they were to do anything other than the wings, I would've wanted something pretty much like what they went with. 

I loved the blue sash more than these vertical stripes. If nothing else, MNUFC has a blue sash in their uniform history. At no point in their time as MNUFC have they had vertical stripes like this. It doesn't feel like the Loons to me. 

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

And now the new Minnesota primary officially revealed:

DVx_YA-UMAAf_ya?format=jpg

MNUFC%20Ramirez.jpg

DVx9cYkUQAAAjSS?format=jpg

https://www.mnufc.com/post/2018/02/10/2018-kit

It looks like the socks are the same shade of gray as the lighter stripes on the shirt, which is a big mistake IMO. And between last year’s sash and this year’s tonal vertical stripes, I think the light blue sash is a better and more unique element for them. The darker gray base of this year’s kit is an improvement, and I like the henley collar with red button, as well as the jocktag, but I’m not too fond of the design as a whole. Also, it looks like the players had white/very light gray numbers on at the unveiling, and the jerseys on the MLS Store seem to confirm that that’s what they’re using with the new kit instead of light blue:

zOpiSdx.jpg

At the very least the white/light gray names and numbers tie in better with the Target logo, and they’re more legible than the light blue they used last season.

I like the kit, I will *probably* buy it, but I do wish the wings were there, or even redo the sash but have a wing in place of it.

1 minute ago, Red Wolf said:

Are you talking about the backs being blank? Because I think that's an MLS (and various other leagues) rule. Dallas back when they wore hoops for instance, never went all the way around and same goes for SKC's hooped kit from a while back. And when the US had those hooped kits, the back was blank for those as well, except on the replicas. Seems like it's totally fine in Italy though. 

Some leagues do have a ruling, but it can sometimes come down to a matter of contrast. Using FIFA's regulations as an example, if the colours of the stripes and hoops are deemed to be close enough that a number in a contrasting colour is clearly legible then they'll allow it at their discretion. Their current guidelines state;

A Number Zone must be created on the back of the shirt unless, in FIFA’s discretion, the number appearing is clearly legible and distinguishable from a distance for all Players, Match Officials, spectators and media, from the Colours used for the respective Playing Equipment item...

I would think that Minnesota's shades of grey are close enough to not be an issue with legibility, so I'd guess it's an MLS policy.

Archived