2018 MLS Kits

labc93

It needs to find a way to work the blue a bit more front-and-center.  It is at best boring and at worst terrible (all the grays). The best part of this is the goalkeeper uniform.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Because of the time it takes to have such a custom kit created. We knew it wasn't going to happen the first 2 seasons. 

Then why not keep the sash for the first two seasons?  That just doesn’t make any sense. 

Edit: because, in point of fact, we didn’t know that at the time. When the 2017 jerseys were unveiled, the club was teasing a fully-custom design for 2018. 

https://www.twincities.com/2017/02/17/minnesota-united-unveils-its-new-mls-kits/

So what happened?  If they couldn’t come up with a wing design, and I’m not sure they couldn’t, Minnesota should have stuck with their sash.  Two non-wing primary kits?  That’s not on Adidas, it’s on the club. 

43 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Then why not keep the sash for the first two seasons?  That just doesn’t make any sense. 

Edit: because, in point of fact, we didn’t know that at the time. When the 2017 jerseys were unveiled, the club was teasing a fully-custom design for 2018. 

https://www.twincities.com/2017/02/17/minnesota-united-unveils-its-new-mls-kits/

So what happened?  If they couldn’t come up with a wing design, and I’m not sure they couldn’t, Minnesota should have stuck with their sash.  Two non-wing primary kits?  That’s not on Adidas, it’s on the club. 

There was another user here who I forget what his username is. He was a designer for Sporting KC and he said it takes 2 years for a custom kit to get developed. With MNUFC joining MLS late 2016, 2018 was realistically never possible (despite what we all hoped) if that timeframe is correct. As for what the club teased at the time, they are notorious for saying one thing and doing another. They've been teasing DPs whenever season tickets have been renewed and then they do nothing. 

I’m not a Minny fan so my opinion is useless but I don’t think they need the wing every single year. That said these kits are just too much grey. Even with the preponderance of light blue in MLS these days they need to find a way to play that up some more to break up the drabness of it all.

glad the two-year lead time for custom elements doesn’t preclude finding some red buttons for the collar, though.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

6 hours ago, upperV03 said:

San Jose away officially revealed:

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/2018/02/11/photo-gallery-2018-navy-seal-foundation-jersey

Even though the pattern is recycled from the Russia confed cup shirt, I think it looks pretty nice here. I was hoping they’d go with blue shorts, but unfortunately they’re going all-white.

The Navy Seal gambit is nice but feels like a cheap way to attach meaning to yet another bland white template kit. Also can’t believe we’re back to SJ not having a blue jersey.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Does anyone have any tips on when we can expect LAFC's kits to drop? Curious if they'll drop in time for fans to get them for opening day or what. Because I've heard nothing, not even rumors or anything, about the kits, when they'll drop, or what they'll look like. I know they just minted that Youtube TV deal for kit sponsor and streaming but what's the deal at this point?

spacer.png

5 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Does anyone have any tips on when we can expect LAFC's kits to drop? Curious if they'll drop in time for fans to get them for opening day or what. Because I've heard nothing, not even rumors or anything, about the kits, when they'll drop, or what they'll look like. I know they just minted that Youtube TV deal for kit sponsor and streaming but what's the deal at this point?

I saw on a LAFC subreddit that the kits would supposedly be revealed on the 23rd.

UPDATE:

Street artists made a mural that could show the inaugural home design? That or they could have just used a basic design for the mural. 

21 minutes ago, bowld said:

So LAFC going with dark gray uni with black stripes, gold trim? 

They could be, I don't know if the street artists have seen the kit or not or if they were just giving a very generic template to it. I just saw it on my Twitter feed when UniWatch retweeted it.

That mural looks to be based off of this image of Vela from back in his early Real Sociedad days:vela_carlos-1040x572.jpg

They just recolored the Real Sociedad jersey to feature the LAFC colors and logo. That’s not to say their inaugural home kit won’t look something like what’s shown in the mural, and I’ve seen a couple people say that the shirt will have dark gray in some capacity, but I definitely wouldn’t jump to conclusion that what’s shown in that mural is in fact their new home kit design since it’s pretty clear they just recolored the Sociedad shirt.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

My take on Minnesota: There are some aspects of the MNUFC kit that I like, but others that I don't. On the whole, it's a very traditional and appealing design. Vertical stripes, henley button-up (love that red button, by the way!). Very nice. Where it fails, in my opinion, is the color balance. The thing is way too gray and thus way too damn bland. There's zero excitement coming out of this kit. It's so blah. Take last year's kit (team wear though it may be!):

Atlanta+United+FC+v+Minnesota+United+FC+

It uses the same gray, but the vibrancy of the blue brings it to life. It's a great kit. The blue is strong throughout the entire uniform (stripes, numbers, trim, etc). If you're going to pull off such a bland color and make it your trademark, the blue does just the trick to keep it from being a snoozer.

minnesota-united-2018-home-kit-2.jpg

This is a pretty nice shirt! But where's all the blue? Only on the adidas stripes? White sponsor, white adidas logo, no blue stripes or trim. This jersey feels like it was designed to match well with a pair of jeans.

DVyL0TWV4AAfNwQ.jpg

DVzAFB0W4AAN4nt.jpg

It gets worse when you see the entire kit. While the last kit also had gray shorts and socks, it was that strong presence of blue that gave it such vibrancy. There's none of that here to save the new one. It doesn't help that a lot of the trim and printing, previously blue, is now white. It's about as exciting as that infamous Manchester United kit.

Eric-Cantona-in-action.jpg

Lastly, the wing is not the answer. I'm not a Loons fan or even from Minnesota, but I'm surprised there's so much support for something so bizarre. Supersized wings printed across the chest? What about that sounds like good design?

glf8PSn.jpg

5 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

In my PES 2017 league, I made all of the English 2 teams into MLS teams. For LAFC I made them be black jerseys with gray hoops and gold trim and really liked that look. 

I think solid black may be too much, so that sounds cool. I have a problem with all the black/slate kits in the league this year, but considering LAFC's colors are black and gold, I would have no problem with it. Really hope they don't whiff on one out of the gate, though. ATL locked down their look early and I think they'd be wise to keep the same basic core for a while, and I hope LA can do the kit thing in a similar way. Lock it down early.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

My take on Minnesota: There are some aspects of the MNUFC kit that I like, but others that I don't. On the whole, it's a very traditional and appealing design. Vertical stripes, henley button-up (love that red button, by the way!). Very nice. Where it fails, in my opinion, is the color balance. The thing is way too gray and thus way too damn bland. There's zero excitement coming out of this kit. It's so blah. Take last year's kit (team wear though it may be!):

Atlanta+United+FC+v+Minnesota+United+FC+

It uses the same gray, but the vibrancy of the blue brings it to life. It's a great kit. The blue is strong throughout the entire uniform (stripes, numbers, trim, etc). If you're going to pull off such a bland color and make it your trademark, the blue does just the trick to keep it from being a snoozer.

minnesota-united-2018-home-kit-2.jpg

This is a pretty nice shirt! But where's all the blue? Only on the adidas stripes? White sponsor, white adidas logo, no blue stripes or trim. This jersey feels like it was designed to match well with a pair of jeans.

DVyL0TWV4AAfNwQ.jpg

DVzAFB0W4AAN4nt.jpg

It gets worse when you see the entire kit. While the last kit also had gray shorts and socks, it was that strong presence of blue that gave it such vibrancy. There's none of that here to save the new one. It doesn't help that a lot of the trim and printing, previously blue, is now white. It's about as exciting as that infamous Manchester United kit.

Eric-Cantona-in-action.jpg

Lastly, the wing is not the answer. I'm not a Loons fan or even from Minnesota, but I'm surprised there's so much support for something so bizarre. Supersized wings printed across the chest? What about that sounds like good design?

glf8PSn.jpg

If think if you're going to adopt gray as your primary color, their new kit is about as good as they could pull it off to me at least. That picture of last year's kit in action makes it look pretty good, but elsewhere I've seen it I thought it was too much of pure block colors. That, and the slant-stripe (though solid enough of a look) is kind of the Galaxy's thing in MLS, although it doesn't give them a monopoly on it. On this new one, if they had done powder-blue with the Target logo and then the Adidas logo, I think it'd be balanced a bit better, but as it stands I still like it quite a bit. I think it's an improvement. I'm not a fan of the club so I don't feel the passion about the wings, but from a design stand point, other than minor gripes, I like it a lot.

spacer.png

I was at the Loons' kit reveal event (alas, the pics I got aren't as good as what's already been posted). It's a downgrade from last season, but it's not awful by any means. Hell, it was good enough for me to plunk down $120 for one.

Note that they only revealed the primary and keeper kits, not the clash kit. Last year's white clashes were nothing special but still a nice and crisp design. I'd be happy if they just kept that. If they try to mimic this new design on a white clash kit I don't see how they could make it work.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived