2018 MLS Kits

labc93

20 hours ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

Not sure if this now-defaced mural was officially commissioned by LAFC, but Galaxy fans have been calling it a "paid advertisement."

DV7wR_MUMAAmBT4.jpg

Could have been artistic license, though it would be odd if LAFC paid for marketing that featured an inaccurate kit. 

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They better be.  And the less white, the better.  They may have to use it sparingly on the outline of their MLS shield, but it shouldn't be anywhere else.  Black and gold is all they need, can't go wrong with a color scheme like that.

DVonZsKVoAAcj0r.jpg

What makes you say that?  The club itself said the 2018-2019 seaons.

FWIW, the seats at Banc of California Stadium are gray. And we’re seeing Back, Gray, and Gold on murals and team marketing. Can’t be a coincidence. 

NYCdog.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NYCdog said:

FWIW, the seats at Banc of California Stadium are gray. And we’re seeing Back, Gray, and Gold on murals and team marketing. Can’t be a coincidence. 

While yes, it appears as if they are using gray for accent work, with the stadium, I wouldn't read into it at all. In peak summer in SoCal it gets insanely hot so they couldn't go with black seats since they'd be so hot it would be be impossible to sit in, and white seats would be way too garrish to fill a whole stadium with, not to mention they'd fade fast and pick up dirt super clearly. I think most outdoor stadiums either use gray for seating, or if the team's colors aren't black/gray/white/etc they use the primary color (like in Orlando and Houston). 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, NYCdog said:

Gray is a team accent color.  That doesn’t mean it’ll be on the uniform.

Just now, Gothamite said:

Indeed.  And that light gray is an official accent color. 

LAFC-MatthewWolffDesign-OfficialColorPal

The designer puckishly calls it “Wolff Gray”, a play on both his own name (Matt Wolff) and recent Nike nomenclature. 

Is red still in their official scheme? I thought I saw that they cut it a few months ago but I'm not sure. I'd love for them to use red in their secondary, especially now that Portland have dropped their Rose City Red scheme this year. Just take it easy on the white/slate gray where possible. 

spacer.png

7 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Is red still in their official scheme? I thought I saw that they cut it a few months ago but I'm not sure. I'd love for them to use red in their secondary, especially now that Portland have dropped their Rose City Red scheme this year. 

That I don’t know.  

But I do know that clash kits don’t have to have any relationship to the club’s actual color scheme. In fact, going outside the club colors is often the point. 

10 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I would.

The away has to be a clash uniform. Grey and black are a little too close in color to be the only two kits colors. 

This is MLS we're talking about, which has allowed the Timbers to only have a dark green kit and a predominantly black kit for the last few seasons.

6fQjS3M.png

4 minutes ago, docbrass said:

Those are the standard 2018 MLS training kits.

-updated%20(207%20of%2035).jpg?Iae86GyYh

Not for all teams, but yeah, I know. My post was in response to @Rockstar Matt saying that gray would be too close to black for it to be the color of the secondary kit. I was merely showing that a light gray like the one used for the training shirts would definitely work for the clash kit and provide sufficient contrast from the black primaries.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

This is MLS we're talking about, which has allowed the Timbers to only have a dark green kit and a predominantly black kit for the last few seasons.

I really think there's more than sufficient contrast between these kits.  Especially the 2016 set.

portland-timbers-2016.jpgPortland-Timbers-Uniform.jpg

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

Eh, it isn't the most egregious, but I think it's worth improving upon. This sorta stuff isn't great. 

[images removed]

You beat me to the response -- it's not about how the kits clash with each other (and dark green against black isn't something I'd sign up for in the first place, personally), but how they clash with everyone else's home kits. If you aren't going to have a third kit, either your home or away should clash well with every other club in the league's. Those Revs and Union matches were brutal to watch, and trips to Colorado haven't been fun recently, either.

If MLS really cared about kits clashing, they wouldn't have let the Timbers have a predominantly black away kit when they had a dark green home shirt. On past experience alone, I don't think MLS would stand in the way of LAFC having a darkish grey away kit.

6fQjS3M.png

25 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

You beat me to the response -- it's not about how the kits clash with each other (and dark green against black isn't something I'd sign up for in the first place, personally), but how they clash with everyone else's home kits.

Of course.  But the way to ensure that a club will have options to prevent clashes around the league is to judge the two designs against one another.  If there is sufficient contrast, then the club will be able to avoid clashes in all its matches.

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Of course.  But the way to ensure that a club will have options to prevent clashes around the league is to judge the two designs against one another.  If there is sufficient contrast, then the club will be able to avoid clashes in all its matches.

That's just not true. Southampton's home and road kits this year provide plenty of contrast to each other -- the red/white home kit and the black/green away kit don't clash at all. Yet neither design clashes with Bournemouth's red and black kit. So we got this kit as a one-off instead:

Bournemouth-vs-Southampton-Charlie-Austi

6fQjS3M.png

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

That's just not true. Southampton's home and road kits this year provide plenty of contrast to each other -- the red/white home kit and the black/green away kit don't clash at all. Yet neither design clashes with Bournemouth's red and black kit. So we got this kit as a one-off instead:

Bournemouth-vs-Southampton-Charlie-Austi

The Premier League allows three kits, MLS does not. That's why the rule Gothamite stated should be able to be applied in MLS.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The Premier League allows three kits, MLS does not. That's why the rule Gothamite stated should be able to be applied in MLS.

No, it's why MLS should either (a) bring third kits in or (b) ensure that either a team's home or away kit clashes with every other team in the league's kit.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived