2018 MLS Kits

labc93

1 hour ago, Digby said:

redshield-mobile.png

Looks fine, but pair some gray shorts with that sucker and you'd have a way improved kit.

Also sorry about the PNG file.

honestly I think it looks pretty good. I wish they had done something more than solid white with the shorts, but it's clean. Of all the new white kits this year, I'd say this is probably my favorite.

So who does this leave? Orlando, LA, and I haven't seen anything from Houston yet other than that leak a few days/a week ago. Really mixed bag overall, some kits I really like, and quite a few just eh. Think we can all agree on New England's though.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As has been said already, the new Toronto kit is fine. Definitely nothing special. I like the mix of red and onyx accents, but I feel like it’s a downgrade from their Toronto Blizzard-inspired secondaries that they’ve had the past two seasons. And the pattern on the new shirt is yet another recycled design from Adidas, this time from these prematch shirts, as well as the new Belgium away:

jd_024758_a?qlt=80&w=600&h=765&v=1

belgium-2018-world-cup-away-kit-2.jpg

And it’s essentially the same pattern as on the Condivo 18 teamwear template, as well as the AdiPro 18 keeper template:

adidas-condivo-18-world-cup-template-2.j

Picture2-166.jpg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

23 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

That'd be nice. I wish the MLS allowed third kits. 

MLS does technically allow third kits. The issue is with adidas. A club must sell 100,000 units of their home kit to be eligible for a third in a single year. No one comes close to that.

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

10 minutes ago, ManuelCh said:

Is it me or that LAFC home kit is using this pattern on The front of the jersey? TAyDsND_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Possible. It could also be diagonal pinstripes.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't mind the repetition since LAFC's whole "art-deco" style, it would make sense for them to go with something like that. It reminds me of buildings I've seen in Downtown LA. If it is that pattern, I would not be upset. 

spacer.png

I don't understand why they continue to drag it out. Clearly they must be ready to go if they are already being leaked to/by people who then put them out (Conrad, thank you!), so I do not understand why they would wait until so close for the start of the season to unveil both kits.

spacer.png

Interesting observation from the new Atlanta peach kit. Last year for the shorts, they did not use the metallic textured rubber crest like you see on the jersey. It was more of a simple glue on patch (the same that’s been used on a lot of training wear). However, this year’s new peach kit uses the textured rubber crest on the shorts.

Jersey crest:

ELEM_HEADER.jpg

Shorts crest:

13EcW2l.jpg

New peach kit rubber crest on the shorts (same as the jersey):

VirTVbB_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

On 2/12/2018 at 3:53 PM, aawagner011 said:

glf8PSn.jpg

:wub:

The dark gray.  The wing.  The black socks.  The blue numbers.  Everything about it was fantastic.

Plus it was ours.  I can't believe how much the team can't figure out that people really wanted the wing back.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

8 hours ago, Mockba said:

:wub:

The dark gray.  The wing.  The black socks.  The blue numbers.  Everything about it was fantastic.

Plus it was ours.  I can't believe how much the team can't figure out that people really wanted the wing back.

It's by far my favorite jersey that I own. Actually fits better than the Adidas blue sash one I got (not to mention I had to get 1 size larger for Adidas and it still feels too small in comparison). 

The 2018 MLS kits are really bumming me out. Adidas used to put so much effort into custom kits that reflected the local environs while still looking mostly professional. Now it's all just out-of-the-catalogue templates that are being dumped on teams willy nilly. It's really dumb Minnesota can't have wings buy NYCFC does, and the NYCFC wings look kind of dumb.

I shouldn't be too upset, as Nike recycles its templates for both national and club teams and doesn't care at all. So maybe Adidas is just bringing the US league up to par with international expectations. I just think back on Vancouver's great mountain shirts, or Seattle's S logo, or the SKC argyle, or Portland's rose. It's a bummer that stuff is mostly gone.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

The 2018 MLS kits are really bumming me out. Adidas used to put so much effort into custom kits that reflected the local environs while still looking mostly professional. Now it's all just out-of-the-catalogue templates that are being dumped on teams willy nilly. It's really dumb Minnesota can't have wings buy NYCFC does, and the NYCFC wings look kind of dumb.

I shouldn't be too upset, as Nike recycles its templates for both national and club teams and doesn't care at all. So maybe Adidas is just bringing the US league up to par with international expectations. I just think back on Vancouver's great mountain shirts, or Seattle's S logo, or the SKC argyle, or Portland's rose. It's a bummer that stuff is mostly gone.

Yeah, some of the flavor like that is gone. But I think it's been kind of a steady trend. I think of DC's classic three-stripes, and the old KC Wiz kits. Those are among my favorite kits of all time, and extremely unique. 

Now I know nothing of how kit design actually works in a practical sense, what goes into it or what they necessarily think about while designing. Part of me thinks that because it's a World Cup year, that maybe they've allowed their other kits to drop off a little bit, which would be understandable given the size of that event. Another part of me thinks that because it's MLS it may be less important to Adidas than other clubs they do kits for. I think someone on this thread said that rarely do MLS club's sell more than 100,000 primary kits in a year (I could be wrong), but I imagine that the money Adidas makes from making Manchester United's kits, for example, probably gets them more income than any singular MLS club. When you have a whole league where you're making 23 new kits every year, you are bound to recycle some designs they've used elsewhere. It's a problem you don't see as often in European leagues because, for the most part, kit-manufacturers make kits for max 4-5 clubs, maybe a few more depending. In the Premier League there are 8 different manufacturers, 7 in the Bundesliga, 9 in La Liga, etc.

I think if fans want increased originality in their kits, an easy answer would be to allow clubs to negotiate their own kit deals. I know with the MLS ownership structure there aren't and cut-and-dry "owners" with autonomy since the league is franchise-centric like the NBA, which would make such a thing complicated. Perhaps MLS could get a few manufacturers and then clubs can choose which one to go with for a cycle. I don't know.

It'd always be tough for one manufacturer to make kits for a whole league while keeping the designs all to some degree unique to each club. That is a lot of kits standing right next to one another. Maybe I'm going too easy on Adidas by offering them that out (they are a huge company), but I think the problem lies in the fact that one manufacturer can only have so much originality in their kits before they begin re-using patterns/designs/schemes, especially when they assumedly have larger clients that have bigger world-wide followings. It's also practical for them to do so.

I don't think it's a good enough excuse as to why this year in particular the MLS kits have been generally sub-par to "eh," with a few exceptions. I just think realistically there is only so much they can do in a vacuum like this, plus all manufacturers re-use patterns and design elements. We don't notice it as much with other manufacturers (other than with Nike since every single kit they've made has the shoulder-yoke) because they aren't making every single kit in the Bundesliga, or in the Premier League. But again, what do I know? What do you all think?

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

Maybe this for the LAFC primary? Wouldn't be bad at all, though I hope the tonal pattern is an original design pattern...

Dear God I hope they don't use the Red Youtube logo. There is absolutely no need, no one is going to confuse Youtube for anything else because the coloring is not their usual. 

Otherwise, I like that look. A lot. Class.

spacer.png

Archived