2018 MLS Kits

labc93

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Not shirts, shorts.  

Toronto doesn’t have white shorts; they have their primary reds and alternate blues. 

Now, you could say that MLS should have made them anticipate this match-up and add contrasting shorts to their kitbag.   But MLS obviously doesn’t care much about a clash between the shorts. 

Oh. 

Well....let me just wipe this egg off my face :blush:.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• 3 weeks later...

First teaser of the Timbers’ new secondary for next season:

Unfortunately it looks like it won’t be green and white hoops like I had been hoping for, but it still looks really promising. The green and gold on the crest contrasts really nicely against the white background. Personally I’m hoping for something like this now: PFo9m1N.jpg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

That would look great.

In rumor news, this apparently surfaced as possible sideline gear for next year.

DPrATssXUAAd6KP.jpg

Sideline gear tends to mimic the year's new kit.  So this has spurred speculation that we might see a gray kit with blue numbers/details.  But we'll see.

58 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That would look great.

In rumor news, this apparently surfaced as possible sideline gear for next year.

DPrATssXUAAd6KP.jpg

Sideline gear tends to mimic the year's new kit.  So this has spurred speculation that we might see a gray kit with blue numbers/details.  But we'll see.

that does look sharp.  wouldn't this be the field standard sideline gear for all MLS teams?  MLS has been using slate gray for the coaching staff gear.

31 minutes ago, Digby said:

Takeaway from the PTFC teaser is that they're officially done with the lime green trim, replaced with gold as it should be. (Except in the MLS sleeve patch on the homes?)

Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s gone next season and replaced with gold. They’ve been transitioning from lime green to gold over the past couple of years, and they just now seem to be implementing it across the board. I think come next season the lime green will be gone in all capacities, and the team colors will officially be recognized as green and gold. I still think there’s probably a rule somewhere that states the MLS badges on the primary kits must include the teams’ primary colors, and prior to this season those were/are still lime green and dark green for the Timbers, because that’s the only logical explanation I can think of for why they included the lime green there this season. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

15 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I still think there’s probably a rule somewhere that states the MLS badges on the primary kits must include the teams’ primary colors, and prior to this season those were/are still lime green and dark green for the Timbers, because that’s the only logical explanation I can think of for why they included the lime green there this season. 

I do believe you're right - there is an official version of the MLS shield for each club, using club colors.  Each is unique, including one for the league itself.

A3qVRJQ.png

I love this about the MLS logo.  The badges can stand alone on their own without any supporting context. 

mls_logo_team_colors_animation.gif

You can recognize each of them even without the club logos.

mls-logos.png

Did you catch the two differences between these original 2015 versions and the ones above?  Other than, of course, the new clubs added since then.

Clubs can recolor their MLS badges for clash kits or keeper shirts, but this is what you'll find on the primary shirts.  And on merchandise.

ff_2876310a_full.jpg&w=600

So it looks like the green-and-gold version of the badge was only temporary, which might explain why they kept the old version of the MLS badge even after removing all other white from the homes.  Really bothered me, how much the white on that badge stuck out on the kit.

10036248-mls-portland-timbers-at-fc-dall

Also makes me worry about LAFC - they have a fantastic brand, and gold with black could make an awesome uniform.  But they insist on throwing white on to their official version of the MLS shield, and I bet that ends up being the only white on their entire primary kit.

^ I see what you're saying and mostly agree, but I can't tell all the navy/red and the double blue teams apart, which I think demonstrates the problem of putting too much stock in colors alone for a team's brand (similar to a discussion ongoing in the NBA thread actually).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

16 minutes ago, Digby said:

^ I see what you're saying and mostly agree, but I can't tell all the navy/red and the double blue teams apart, which I think demonstrates the problem of putting too much stock in colors alone for a team's brand (similar to a discussion ongoing in the NBA thread actually).

True, but I don't think they do.  I'm not aware of MLS using the team-colored shields without some other identifying feature, such as the wordmark on that t-shirt.

And yeah, I just noticed that FC Dallas and the Revs still have essentially the same one.  Red Bull changed theirs after a year to be less like the standard MLS shield, would hope that one of those two clubs changes as well.

11 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

170302155427-mls-soccer-780x439.jpg

49FD8C0FF7CA44D0A42A0EED6FD884D2.ashx

Someday we might actually see these as graphics somewhere, although some of the Reddits seem to use them

https://thelooncall.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/mnufcmls5.png

https://i.imgur.com/mb6Fdae.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C1WD3hD.jpg

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Those started as fan creations (many on Reddit), and the league was apparently tickled by them.  So they had versions made to put on the office walls.  

I don't know if we'll ever see them used in any capacity beyond that.

Would be nice if that did happen.  They are all pretty cool looking.

Archived