labc93

2018 MLS Kits

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, CIM said:

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/does-mls-deal-with-adidas-stifle-kit-creativity/

 

Info into the white/red logo on the LAFC home jersey.

 

Considering how sponsors spend as much time and money on their branding, it makes perfect sense that their logos are not altered in any way on the jersey.  The Youtube logo certainly stands out on the LAFC jersey, which is what you want if you're them and paying a lot of money for that visibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sporting KC have worn their new black uniforms in four of their five games, including all three home games and that bothers me quite a bit. They've been pretty liberal about their use of aways and alts at home before, but this is something else. Did they officially make this the primary while I wasn't looking or something? I'm pretty dumb, so that would be believable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

Sporting KC have worn their new black uniforms in four of their five games, including all three home games and that bothers me quite a bit. They've been pretty liberal about their use of aways and alts at home before, but this is something else. Did they officially make this the primary while I wasn't looking or something? I'm pretty dumb, so that would be believable. 

Columbus have worn black for two of their home games. I'm not a fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably just teams trying to show off their new jerseys at home to try to get people to buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, njdevs7 said:

Probably just teams trying to show off their new jerseys at home to try to get people to buy it.

I doubt too many Columbus fans are buying jerseys. Maybe Austin. 

 

(Now I’m sad.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I doubt too many Columbus fans are buying jerseys. Maybe Austin. 

 

(Now I’m sad.)

We are, just not that kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, M4One said:

 

Considering how sponsors spend as much time and money on their branding, it makes perfect sense that their logos are not altered in any way on the jersey.  The Youtube logo certainly stands out on the LAFC jersey, which is what you want if you're them and paying a lot of money for that visibility.

 

And that’s fine, if you think the sponsor is more important than the club. 

 

Me, I’m glad that our sponsor logo is in NYCFC’s club colors rather than Etihad’s corporate colors.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

And that’s fine, if you think the sponsor is more important than the club. 

 

Me, I’m glad that our sponsor logo is in NYCFC’s club colors rather than Etihad’s corporate colors.  

 

It's not that I think the sponsor is more important than the club, but you would not expect the club's logo to be recoloured for an ad or anything else, so I would not think it's the end of the world if the sponsor maintained its branding on the jersey.  That being said, if a sponsor is okay with matching the team's colours, that's fine, too.  I honestly don't care whether the sponsor matches the team or not.  I suppose it is something that is easier to do with word mark logos like Etihad compared to Youtube's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Target did it for Minnesota, too.

 

We should be pushing all sponsors to do that, not excusing it when they don’t. 

 

YouTube has no problem with using a single-color gold logo in promotional materials.  Perhaps if LAFC hadn’t been desperately scrambling at the last-minute to sign a shirt sponsor they could have included that in their contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Target did it for Minnesota, too.

 

Target's brand standards state that the bullseye can be white or black. So in that sense, showing the bullseye in black on the white jersey is still in keeping with their brand standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, though red is preferred. But most companies have single-color versions in their brand standards.

 

I’ll have to look up YouTube brand standards, but we know they allow LAFC to use a single-color gold version in their advertising materials, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

True, though red is preferred. But most companies have single-color versions in their brand standards.

 

I’ll have to look up YouTube brand standards, but we know they allow LAFC to use a single-color gold version in their advertising materials, 

 

It's also possible that whoever designs those advertising materials is changing that YouTube logo without YouTube's permission. I've seen that with the company I work at (Thomson Reuters) that when outside agencies use our logos they'll often recolor them in ways that don't adhere to our brand standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

It's also possible that whoever designs those advertising materials is changing that YouTube logo without YouTube's permission. I've seen that with the company I work at (Thomson Reuters) that when outside agencies use our logos they'll often recolor them in ways that don't adhere to our brand standards.

 

It's possible, but what does your company do when they see it?   Does it let those outside agencies keep on using recolored logos that don't adhere to your brand standards?  Or does it raise an objection? 

 

This is from February, the first time we saw it.

 

 

This is from two days ago:
 

 

LAFC is still using the all-gold version in its promotional materials.  And I still wonder if they could have negotiated something similar for the shirt, had they not been so desperate to sign a deal immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Digby said:

Who wants to play spot the goalkeeper: 

 

DZx3PsGUMAAsXot.jpg

 

Yeah I was really surprised Rimando’s kit was that light with RSL wearing white. And I’m still used to him having a black kit too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

It's possible, but what does your company do when they see it?   Does it let those outside agencies keep on using recolored logos that don't adhere to your brand standards?  Or does it raise an objection? 

 

Realistically there is not much we can do, but also the majority of people who work for the company don't know the brand standards anyway and therefore don't say anything. 

 

And in your last example, that graphic is realistically breaking all of those social media logo brand standards by colorizing them. Twitter specifically says not to re-color the bird, but to only show it in their blue or in white. Same with Facebook. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

And in your last example, that graphic is realistically breaking all of those social media logo brand standards by colorizing them. Twitter specifically says not to re-color the bird, but to only show it in their blue or in white. Same with Facebook. 

 

Fair enough.  But LAFC doesn't have a sponsorship contract with Facebook and Twitter the way it does with YouTube TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Red Bulls ended up wearing all-red last night in Guadalajara:

DZ_U5r7U8AE8074?format=jpg

I watched part of the game, and the contrast between the two teams wasn’t horrible, but definitely not ideal either. With Chivas wearing navy shorts and socks, all-red was probably the right choice for NYRB. Having said that, the contrast would’ve been much better had Chivas worn white shorts and socks, or at least just white socks, with NYRB wearing their old navy and yellow secondaries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

The Red Bulls ended up wearing all-red last night in Guadalajara:

DZ_U5r7U8AE8074?format=jpg

I watched part of the game, and the contrast between the two teams wasn’t horrible, but definitely not ideal either. With Chivas wearing navy shorts and socks, all-red was probably the right choice for NYRB. Having said that, the contrast would’ve been much better had Chivas worn white shorts and socks, or at least just white socks, with NYRB wearing their old navy and yellow secondaries.

This is why MLS teams need third kits! Just wear the old blue and yellow kit from last year at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.