Jump to content

2018 MLS Kits


labc93
 Share

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

New teaser images for the Timbers’ new secondary:

Based on this and the first teaser, it looks like there'll be subtle perforated mesh hoops on the front, with a green collar and cuffs with gold piping.

 

So they'll be using three different shades of gold - the highlighter yellow on their badge and MLS logo, metallic gold on their primary kits, and athletic gold on these clash kits.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

So they'll be using three different shades of gold - the highlighter yellow on their badge and MLS logo, metallic gold on their primary kits, and athletic gold on these clash kits.  

It’s the same shade as the primary, it’s just the lighting in that second image that’s making it look a bit closer to athletic gold. Here’s the original teaser from a few weeks ago, which better shows the shade of gold:DSeKFxeVoAAfPJo?format=jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, charliehustle said:

Adidas_MLS_2018_Hollow_ed-BullNewYork_Se

Adidas_MLS_2018_RedBullNewYork__Secondar

 

These photos show some of the details in the fabric. VERY subtle. I like it though.

 

I like it too - the best home kit they’ve had in a very long time.  But I’ve always thought red was a better choice for them than white. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gothamite said:

 

I like it too - the best home kit they’ve had in a very long time.  But I’ve always thought red was a better choice for them than white. 

It’s their new secondary, not primary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

It’s the same shade as the primary, it’s just the lighting in that second image that’s making it look a bit closer to athletic gold. Here’s the original teaser from a few weeks ago, which better shows the shade of gold:DSeKFxeVoAAfPJo?format=jpg

 

Well, that’s disappointing.

 

They’re using this shade on graphics:

 

Gdg23ZTp_400x400.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Well, that’s disappointing.

 

They’re using this shade on graphics:

 

Gdg23ZTp_400x400.jpg

Why is it dissapointing? They use those colors for their social media avatars since those are still technically their official team colors, but they’re currently transitioning to the brassy shade of gold full time, which is what’s used on the primary kits, and now these new secondaries as well. I suspect they’ll eventually change their official team colors and replace the highlighter yellow with the brassy gold, and if you look at almost all of their social media graphics, they use the brassy shade of gold. Here’s a few examples:DQOQ4yoVoAAGU7P?format=jpgDScLw00V4AEqpya?format=jpgDRWStYmVwAADkqD?format=jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its disappointing because I like the athletic gold better. :P  I think it provides a better contrast against dark green than the metallic, which works beautifully in fabric but not nearly so well in print applications. 

 

But really anything is better than their ill-conceived highlighter.  The only sour point on an otherwise-outstanding kit is the MLS badge in old colors. 

 

7418a_p2t_adidas_portland_timbers_authen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Digby said:

Wish Portland would split the difference and use the sunflowery gold. I find the metallic gold too drab when combined with dark green and no other bright contrast colors. 

I’ve heard that sentiment from a few people, but I personally think the brassy gold pairs perfectly with the dark green. Since it’s more of an old gold, I think it gives their scheme a nice vintage feel, which is appropriate considering the Timbers’ history, and it fits in nicely with the culture of the city and club. Most Timbers fans love the green and gold scheme, and the fan reaction to the 2014/15 third kit is part of the reason why they’re now transitioning to gold full time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, regarding the Red Bulls’ new secondary, hopefully they use the white shorts as clash shorts for their primary when visiting Chicago and Toronto (and RSL this year). No more matchups like this, please.

usatsi_10064644-e1509373524703.jpg?w=100real-salt-lake-midfielder-sebastian-sauc

Ideally those teams mentioned above would have clash shorts as well for when they visit NYRB (or have secondaries that offer better contrast).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Here’s a closer look again, from the club. 

 

DSd6OZOX4AAh6O5.jpg

 

Those stripes would be great were they red; I don’t understand the three shades of blue. 

 

New England Gunners? Arsenal used similair colors in late 90's.

 

1 hour ago, charliehustle said:

Adidas_MLS_2018_Hollow_ed-BullNewYork_Se

 

These photos show some of the details in the fabric. VERY subtle. I like it though.

 

Recycled pattern from 1986, It looks like Adidas will add retro details not only to National Teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Also, regarding the Red Bulls’ new secondary, hopefully they use the white shorts as clash shorts for their primary when visiting Chicago and Toronto (and RSL this year). No more matchups like this, please.

usatsi_10064644-e1509373524703.jpg?w=100real-salt-lake-midfielder-sebastian-sauc

Ideally those teams mentioned above would have clash shorts as well for when they visit NYRB (or have secondaries that offer better contrast).

It is possible. They did that for one year.

 

Toronto+FC+v+New+York+Red+Bulls+RZCGyDN-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

It is possible. They did that for one year.

 

Toronto+FC+v+New+York+Red+Bulls+RZCGyDN-

Yeah, but haven’t done it since. Now that they’ll already have white shorts available for their secondary, I’m hopeful they’ll use them with their primaries on the road to avoid clashes with the all-red clubs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if the mystifying Revs kit is meant as a throwback to the NASL's old Boston Minutemen, who I believe even played at the old Foxboro Stadium for a year or two. If so they certainly should've stuck with the white and red stripes, for multiple reasons.

 

Minutemen%2076%20Road%20Ade%20Coker,%20S

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Digby said:

I wonder if the mystifying Revs kit is meant as a throwback to the NASL's old Boston Minutemen, who I believe even played at the old Foxboro Stadium for a year or two. If so they certainly should've stuck with the white and red stripes, for multiple reasons.

 

Minutemen%2076%20Road%20Ade%20Coker,%20S

Hmm, I bet you’re right about that. Here’s the mothership’s graphic for their 1976 road uniform:

t4983b6fo55hihtldg5ayvk17.gif

Had the Revs kept the stripes red and white, it would’ve made for a really nice kit, and one that would’ve been a more obvious tribute to the old NASL club. Plus, the last Revs home kit was pretty well received, so keeping the stripes red and white would’ve kept some of that same aesthetic. As it is, the two different shades of blue make the stripes seem almost like an afterthought, especially since those shades of blue don’t appear anywhere else on the kit. At the very least they could’ve added the two lighter blue stripes to the socks to better tie the kit together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If this was the Revs jersey and the Revs were a new team I'd really like it (although I agree the stripes should be red & white). The problem is that what it is replacing is so much better! A big time downgrade.

 

The Red Bulls is clean and a solid clash look to their primary. Plus I love that is has white shorts, which means that the shorts an be interchangeable with the primary as needed to avoid visual clashing with other teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.