strange NY Jets cap from 1974

Ferdinand Cesarano

About a minute into this video of highlights from the Giants-Jets game from 1974...

...Jet coach Charlie Winner is shown wearing a cap with an NYJ logo in the style of the Mets or the baseball Giants.

5a0161f17bfc0_NYJcap.png.8bb1e762342c5e02bbc406ae59ad5311.png

I had not seen that logo before.  What's more, the cap does not appear to be green; it looks black.

So this is a very strange situation.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Great find.  I swear we've talked about this before at one point, but I can't remember what we came up with.

Edit: It was twice, actually.  Once in 2008 and again in 2010.  There are a couple dead image links in those threads (good thing we can now upload), along with this pic of Charley Winner:

4834466465_fc3f1e0266_b.jpg.4b4bff3646ff34d4738cdb9da7eac61e.jpg

I thought it looked familiar.  It was an especially appropriate logo when they were sharing Shea Stadium with the Mets.

EDIT:  On further inspection, the logo on the shirt looks different than the one on the hat.  The arms of the Y/J on the hat logo have a pronounced downward curve that is missing on the shirt logo.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Great find.  I swear we've talked about this before at one point, but I can't remember what we came up with.

Edit: It was twice, actually.  Once in 2008 and again in 2010.  There are a couple dead image links in those threads (good thing we can now upload), along with this pic of Charley Winner:

It'd make a great New Jersey Jets logo ... (ducks the tomatoes)

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

16 minutes ago, kimball said:

It'd make a great New Jersey Jets logo ... (ducks the tomatoes)

In that case, the top of the J wouldn't need to look like a Y.  :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

20 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Ah, very good. 

This was apparently an invention of Charlie Winner's which never achieved the status of official team logo.

Too bad, because it is a great logo.

17 hours ago, leopard88 said:

It was an especially appropriate logo when they were sharing Shea Stadium with the Mets.

Yes, but its proximity to the Mets' logo is probably why it could never have become one of the Jets' official logos. 

Though I am aware that the football Giants once used both the baseball Giants' logo and the Yankees' logo -- sometimes together, as is shown by this photo of Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry.

Vince-Lombardi-Tom-Landry-New-York-Giants-1958.jpg.80b4f4fc450ad5cfe92371040de69a92.jpg

And, of course, we all know that the Knicks used to use the Yankees' logo on their shorts and their warm-ups.

697785432.thumb.jpg.77bd92cfba0396a15b599e4a62f29e4e.jpg

ny_allstars03_800.jpg.142e5285bb96ef81a06f4a8416586313.jpg

I still don't understand how that was possible. Perhaps because the Yankees themselves did not originate that NY logo.

NYCFC use a logo that is at least partially derivative of the Yankees' logo.

epYztBkV.jpeg.5d9412683f2d524f55d6fce75fd202ea.jpeg

But the Yankees are part owners of NYCFC.

More interesting is the case of the New York Lizards of the MLL.

20171107_182337.png.9428de19ec41116d0d16168593eeaf5c.png

Even after the team went to that logo upon changing its name from the Long Island Lizards, it kept on its helmet an L logo that was similar to the Long Island Lizards' helmet logo.

20171107_182311.png.417ea54f72b81371caafae28c930f64f.png

5a024136533d4_PaulRabilNewYorkLizardsvBostonCannonsM8pRicNkTBgl.jpg.af2b79c9f0da663f197785fff46b4432.jpg

Someone in the team's front office told me that this was on account of an agreement that they had reached with the Yankees. The guy said that the Lizards could not display the NYL monogram separate from the entire roundel logo.

But I don't know whether this guy was speaking authoritatively or not, because eventually the Lizards did place the NYL monogram on their helmets.

new-york-lizards-paul-rabil-pretty-instant.thumb.jpg.e6d03e70c6380552f9ca2dcaeec67792.jpg

So, in the end, I really don't know what's going on with this.

Anyway, I will say again that I would love to see the Jets make some use of that NYJ logo, if they could do so without stepping on the intellectual property toes of the Mets and Major League Baseball.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Does anyone know why the Knicks used the Yankees' NY logo? 

I'll do some digging to see if I can find anything. Thought I'd ask first. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 minute ago, kimball said:

Does anyone know why the Knicks used the Yankees' NY logo? 

I'll do some digging to see if I can find anything. Thought I'd ask first. 

Should have dug first. It was pretty easy to find ... interesting read ...

kimball banner.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

its proximity to the Mets' logo is probably why it could never have become one of the Jets' official logos. 

Though I am aware that the football Giants once used both the baseball Giants' logo and the Yankees' logo -- sometimes together, as is shown by this photo of Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry.

Vince-Lombardi-Tom-Landry-New-York-Giants-1958.jpg.80b4f4fc450ad5cfe92371040de69a92.jpg

And, of course, we all know that the Knicks used to use the Yankees' logo on their shorts and their warm-ups.

697785432.thumb.jpg.77bd92cfba0396a15b599e4a62f29e4e.jpg

ny_allstars03_800.jpg.142e5285bb96ef81a06f4a8416586313.jpg

I still don't understand how that was possible. Perhaps because the Yankees themselves did not originate that NY logo.

NYCFC use a logo that is at least partially derivative of the Yankees' logo.

epYztBkV.jpeg.5d9412683f2d524f55d6fce75fd202ea.jpeg

But the Yankees are part owners of NYCFC.

Actually, the NYCFC monogram was re-designed before its release to have less resemblance to the Yankee’s logo.  The original was too close, and caused the badge announcement to be delayed.  

And FWIW, the Yankees did design that version of the monogram.   I know everybody makes a big deal of the original Tiffany NYPD metal, but I would argue that the Yankees’ monogram is as distinct from the Tiffany version as the Mets’ logo is from the Yankees’. 

ABAFABEC-3A74-41CE-833D-AB1E9A821F32.thumb.jpeg.d1004e944b3f7d813486db35395017cd.jpeg

Yeah I still don't think that clears up the Knicks and its something I've been wondering about for like 20 years  Tiffany may have invented the idea of an interlocking NY, and sure it shares some visual similarities with the presented Yankees logo, but its not the Yankees logo.  theres a thousand ways to draw an interlocking NY.   But the logo on the Knicks uniforms, and as recently as the early 90's is pretty much the exact same logo the Yankees wear on their uniforms just recolored.  So I still don't understand how that happened for 10 plus years. 

The football Giants wore interlocking NYs - and yes one version does look a lot like the Yankees -- but that was way in the early days of logos there was very little branding continuity or reasoning. The Knicks is 1992.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

21 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anyway, I will say again that I would love to see the Jets make some use of that NYJ logo, if they could do so without stepping on the intellectual property toes of the Mets and Major League Baseball.

The number on the sleeve makes me wonder if they were picking up some second hand gear from the baseball teams. Not implausible for the time I guess.

I think the best hope for official merch with the Metsified NYJ logo would be if they hopped on college football's "stuff a football field into a ballpark and call it special" trend for an exhibition game at Citi Field. But playing exhibition games at funky locations doesn't seem like a thing anymore.

40 minutes ago, RichO said:

The number on the sleeve makes me wonder if they were picking up some second hand gear from the baseball teams. Not implausible for the time I guess.

It was common in those days for coaches' gear to be numbered, same as the players'.  Vince Lombardi used to wear #1, since the number wasn't ever issued by the club.

2053.jpg 1962_PackersYearbook.jpg

(As an aside, I'm trying to get the Packers to retire #1 in 2019, their hundredth anniversary, in honor of the only two men who ever wore it in a game: Curly Lambeau and Vince Lombardi.)

It's also worth pointing out that teams used to re-use equipment a lot more than they do now.  These days, there's a new design every year, but back in the 1950s and 1960s teams would keep wearing things until they fell apart.  That means you can find photos where players are wearing old, outdated stuff.  Even on the field.

c1959-60_celebration.jpg

c1959-60_numbervariations.jpg

1960_Lions-Packers_4a.jpg

So that photo of Lombardi and Landry doesn't necessarily tell us that they used the two logos at the same time on purpose.   One could just be wearing an old jacket.

1 hour ago, Duck_Duck said:

Man, this is a nice logo . . . 

5a036a239aaed_NYCFCUnsused.png.9de3eab67ba2c6b1d341e2b485cac3bd.png

Yes, it is.  But keep in mind that's just a fan concept, not one actually considered by the club.  But I like it more than any other, even the one they went with.

Interesting note: the designer who came up with that concept was later hired by the team and is now their in-house graphic designer.

Archived